Colombian National Team General Thread

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by sidspaceman, May 18, 2015.

1. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Well this is the thing. Lorenzo has started each match with a 4231. You keep putting up these 433 lineups. Lorenzo wants a 10.

And even when he's changed things up in the 2nd halves, he's gone with 2 tens in the center of the pitch more than he's played without any.

I like Carrascal since he's moved to Russia. Ideally he gets his first start so he can prove that he can handle the position. Until that happens, we're going to see James and Juanfer. Especially since the next in line is Yaser, who is playing with the sub 20 and only getting a few minutes in the Championship.

Borrero can play behind the strikers, but he is not a creator. For now, Lorenzo will likely use him towards the wing rather than the center of the pitch.

As much as you and I may want to get rid of the old guard, James scored for Lorenzo and Quintero was great in the Paraguay friendly.

It's not a chance they will both start. I guarantee you they both start one of the games together, probably the first one.

I'm going to be more annoyed if we also see Uribe and Lerma start with them. That's when I'll start to get nervous.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    If James and Falcao both start I am just going to wake up at my usual time and just watch highlights.

kromekote repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #7603 HomietheClown, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    . Carrascal right behind the striker (Borre?) with Arias and Valoyes on the wings would excite me a litle bit though. I'd wake up early for that.

Heck, doubt this will happen but throwing a guy like Carbonero out there if he impresses in training would make me very excited to get up.

4. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Watching Valoyes these last couple of weekends and he is a player that makes an incredible impact on offense. His IQ is lacking but his speed, phsyicality and ability to win 1 v 1s impressive. Hope we can see more of him during this WC cycle.

HomietheClown repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Ryu's guy from the get go.
    I had my doubts (and still do) but he does so well down in Argentina. Hopefully it all clicks for him under Lorenzo cause we need a RW to be good.

kromekote repped this.
  6. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I most definitely am not watching these games live. I gotta work.

What if Arias, Carbonero, Castano, Palacio, Cuesta, and Lucumi start behind them? Your dislike/unwant of 2 players would outweigh your interest in seeing that much experimentation and promising faces?

This is not directed at you, but I sense an intense level of cynicism and PTSD since we didn't make the last WC. Not that it isn't warranted, mind you. But I see so little patience for Lorenzo's new process among this board and Colombians in general. It's not his fault we are where we are. I'm not gonna jump down his neck nor lose hope in this process just because he makes some decisions I wouldn't...

jay luis and J-Mezzy repped this.
  7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I'd be tempted to get up early given that context.
    But I am making the assumption it will be the same old guys along with the same old guys out there without many variants.

8. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Did he use a 10 with Melgar? Not sure he's so insisting on it considering this team can play without one and this team really doesn't have a 10 that de can depend on game after game. Even if he rebuilds this team around James, it's inevitable that James will not physically last a full season of club play and WCQ so what's the point of that strategy?

Vs The US he definitely relied on his outside wingers MFs to attack AND pressure the ball. While Arango played as a striker I didnt feel his positioning was such that it was so clear that we were relying on him as that #9 ace.

9. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Negative. MY guy. (kidding)

To be honest, Valoyes' form in Mexico has taken a freefall. If you guys like what you're seeing form him now, you should've seen him a couple seasons ago. Kid was a monster.

Personally, I'm leaning towards Arias right now. His form has been electric.

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Arias on the left and Valoyes on the right is what was out there last official match.

You would put Carbonero on the left and Arias on the right against Japan? I would love to see it if that was the case. It would be like watching a couple of cheetahs running down prey when they get the passes from JuanFer/James.

11. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Good question. I'm basing this all on what we saw in the first three matches, where he was able to call who he wanted on the Fifa dates. All 3 dates, 4231. James in the first 2, Quintero in the 3rd and eventually subbed out for James.

A good system is not dependent on personnel. And I don't think Lorenzo is dependent on personnel. Not yet. Quintero was better in that match in November than James was prior. You're right, the USA match was a more wide 433, but that lineup was loaded with experimental guys.

You brought up that bit about Lerma playing by himself before which I think is dead on. Without Barrios, I wonder if Lorenzo will shift to a 433 instead. The personnel in this callup partially support that kind of style. Palacio plays in a two-man and a 3-man set easily. Castano plays in a 3 line, but he's usually in the center of it, where Lerma would go.

However, I think it's more likely that that becomes a 4141 like we usually see in the 2nd halves. It'd be cool to see Carrascal next to a Quintero/James for a little bit.

12. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I hope you're right that Lorenzo is all about his 'system'. It strikes me as the simplest solution is to play to our possible NT strengths - speed, skill , strength....worked for Ecuador with an arguably less experienced, less talented and non WC DT.

13. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You mean Talleres? I don't think Valoyes has moved unless I really missed something and I'd say that I'm super disappointed he hasn't moved to a different team. I wanted him to push his game further.

Would agree on Arias getting ahead of him in my pecking order based on current form, but both add something to the mix that's positive.

Azucarero repped this.
  14. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Has his form dropped?

15. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No, more just plateaued. He didn't get the nice he wanted and then has had a bunch of hamstring pulls.

He's super fast and when he is playing aggressive can dominate his wing but I just think he's been bored for a year there now and has crossed the age where it's unlikely European teams will come for him due to mismanagement by the Talleres brass.

16. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he ended up in mexico? and already stagnating..much sooner than i'm used to

17. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I don't mind them playing for now while more guys establish themselves, if they continue to play I think its more to do because of a lack of results from the other guys. If Lorenzo insists on playing with a 10 then James will continue to be called up until someone in that vein emerges which we have not seen yet all, again none of the 9's have the balls to score consistently, so the only guy who scores will continue to play (Falcao). Until new guys emerge which fill those roles we'll be seeing them.

if he chooses to shift away from the 10's then we could see much more variety which is something i've been dying to see for ages.

I have no reason to dislike Lorenzo yet and I think he's done better than most other colombian managers would have in his position.

regardless these are friendlies so to me he can do whatever tf he wants here and im not going to take it too seriously, looks like he will have a whole years worth of friendlies at the rate we're going so whatever, who cares let him call up whomever and play however for now. I think not calling up Cuadrado is already a ballsy move as it is, especially as imo I think he's actually the best performing old guy from the bunch right now

Furnaccio and Azucarero repped this.
  18. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Nah, I misspoke. He's still in Talleres.

But various times this season and last season he starts games on the bench. Unthinkable a couple years back.

Doogs repped this.
  19. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    sidspaceman and Azucarero repped this.
  20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    the whole 10 debate.... is probably because who he currently has. Once Sinisterria and Luis Diaz are healthy it would be insane to play with 1 or 2 #10s when you have both of them and Arias.

ryu79 repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    The attack could evolve into something like this.
    However, Arias has been used on the left wing by Lorenzo and Flu has been using him towards the right wing lately from what I have seen in highlights.

22. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    This is something I forgot to include in my post, of course the never ending injury carousel. Always having a group of players injured no matter what point of the year it is also makes it difficult

23. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And so it begins. Let's make the most out of this year before the qualifiers start.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Just hoping for no injuries and the new blood to impress.
    That and someone to look good in goal and establish themselves as a #2 Keeper.

25. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    No it isn't. Both were healthy in September and he still used a 10.

You can use wingers and a 10. He can also get rid of the 10 if things start working better without them. That doesn't change the fact that he's using 10s when he's been able to call his apparent first choices.