Colombian National Team General Thread

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by sidspaceman, May 18, 2015.

1. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    falcao i guess for experience but sheesh leave out preciado? estupiñan?

2. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    #7577 Azucarero, Mar 13, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2023
    As I've mentioned before, we're going to keep seeing the older captains for a bit. Lorenzo has to preserve a balance between older guys who still contribute and the younger guys who have no experience. That means calling in the former leaders of the team. I LOVE that Cuadrado isn't here. But I do think it's unfair that James is in over him, especially since he hasn't played for a month. Why does Sini not get called in but James does? That's dumb...

-I absolutely do not think Davinson should be on this list. But, you knew he had to bring in some guy with lots of experience, so we're stuck with him.

-VERY surprised not to see Agudelo. Can't fathom why he's not getting a look.

-I guess Alzate really failed the test badly. Can't blame Lorenzo too much on this. Alzate was AWFUL in that friendly.

HomietheClown and Furnaccio repped this.
  3. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Now for the positives: I really like that Arias was called back and that Carbonero is getting a look. Preferably, these two start at wing in at least one match. Both those little guys are dangerous and hungry.

-I LOVE that he called in Nelson Palacio. This kid is quietly one of the best CMs in Colombia. With this call up and a decent showing in Libertadores, this kid will move on to a stronger league soon.

-I wasn't impressed with Castano in the USA friendly, but I've been watching him for Aguilas since. Truly, this guy dominates the midfield. A real general who does it all. I'm not sure if his skill will translate to the international level, but I like that Lorenzo is recognizing that CM is a position of need.

-Borrero is another guy who wasn't great in the USA friendly, but he's a very promising kid. Even if he gets no minutes, it's good to keep this kid around because at any moment he might explode. Ideally the call ups get him looks so he transfer out of MLS.

HomietheClown and Furnaccio repped this.
  4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    haha mad about James but Quintero gets call and all good haha

lot of dudes who shouldn't have gotten a look.

Most upset about Vargas too fking old.... and shit any time he started. Should be Montero and Mier

Davison Sanchez needs to move to a new club..... with his form why not just call up Mina as well

the Falcao call up is just mind blowing

Furnaccio repped this.
  5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Game times are:

Friday - 3/24 at 7:00 AM EST
    Tuesday - 3/28 at 6:20 AM EST

Yes those are AM times LOL

J-Mezzy repped this.
  6. kifrão

kifrão Member

Angers SCO
    Colombia
    Aug 19, 2008
    La Rochelle, Francia
    Club:
    Toulouse FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Si, lastima lo de Agudelo... A mi me gusta la lista (merecido por Machado) pero me sorprende la ausencia de Yairo Moreno

7. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Primetime in Asia.

Furnaccio repped this.
  8. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It's odd to include James as an og captain for 'leadership' (Falcao I understand on that basis), but maybe Lorenzo wants to understand where his stamina really is as he has been playing well in Greece.

Disappointed not to see Alzate (who was out of shape for last friendlies but in great form now), Agudelo or Suarez.

I'm excited to see Machado and Mosquera at FB and happy for Arias, Carbonero and JJD.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #7584 HomietheClown, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    Love the Carbonero call up. The little guy is fast and knows how to attack. Definitely a great option late in games against tired legs.

Deiver the last Dinosaur deserves a chance at the infamous LB position that I keep on ranting on about. Happy for him and hope he plays better than the last time he was called up by Queiroz.

Devis kind of surprised me in some ways since he is on the bench at Milan but does not surprise me in other ways because our keeping situation is so bleh.

Our 9 situation sucks unless Duran is given a chance there but I think it is going to be a platoon of Falcao and Santos Borre which probably means it is time to take out the Rolaids.

10. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wonder why Edwin Cardona didn’t get called up for these games?

Too soon?

lvbeto, Azucarero, kromekote and 2 others repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Him not being called up is very telling to me. Especially since he was not called up last FIFA Date. We may have seen the last of Cuads flopping around and rolling around on the ground in agony in yellow.

Azucarero repped this.
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #7587 HomietheClown, Mar 14, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    Vargas is the most experienced keeper after Ospina and has been within the program since the Youth levels. He is also rated one of the best in Mexico every season.

As for him playing crappy every time he has started, some of the blame is on him. But some of it is just being thrown into situations that are not ideal. Like one of his last starts was in Quito with a makeshift back line that never played together before that we will probably never see again in a match. The crap play during that match was not all his fault.

Furnaccio and dapip repped this.
  13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Surprise to see Devis Vasquez, I don't even think he's played a game

Azucarero and kromekote repped this.
  14. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  15. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    12 groups, lol

16. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I don't know what Lorenzo is trying to prove here but James, Falcao, Quintero and Davidson do not deserve this call up. This 'leadership' transition BS you guys talk about is just smoke and mirrors. Even more so, when there's a pretty damn good chance they'll have big minutes on the field taking the place with someone with much more potential. Pretty pathetic that we're still relying on any version of James at this point. Hope we get destroyed in these 2 friendlies so we can get a real DT on here. I mean even the Vasquez call up makes no sense, simply because he's a 4th string GK for Milan?

My starting 11 with a 4-3-3

Arqueros: Álvaro Montero (Millonarios),

Defensas: Deiver Machado (Lens), Carlos Cuesta (Genk),Jhon Lucumí (Bolonia) Daniel Muñoz (Genk),

Mediocampistas: Dylan Borrero (New England Revolution), Jéfferson Lerma (Bournemouth), Jorge Carrascal (CSKA Moscú).

Delanteros: Diego Valoyes (Talleres), Jhon Arias (Fluminense), Rafael Santos Borre (Eintracht Frankfurt).

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Hard to argue against any of your sentiments and analysis of the situation. But basically kicking out Lorenzo for a new coach before he even manages an official match seems a bit harsh maybe?

I like your lineup. Think it will be Uribe and Lerma though not Barrero.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Also , I will say that Davinson and Falcao scored our last two goals so it is not that big of a stretch to at least have them on the roster. (Other than the leadership thing.)

JuanFer played well that day too. One of the best games I have seen of him in a while.

19. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    watching JuanFer's last 2 Junior games I was not impressed. A much slower, lazier version of his 2nd stint River days and that's not saying
    much. But for the last 10-20 minutes or to open up a tight game, ok i can maybe handle it but James in there too ?

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    JuanFer seems to be like that though. When he puts on the yellow shirt he raises his game no matter how he is playing at club (or not playing in many instances.)

James I have given up on a long, long time ago so I personally would have called someone else but is there really someone else that can give us James type of service and passing who was not called up? I am not sure. Would have had to be some other type of offensive midfielder.

21. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I just don't see how Lorenzo sees it so differently. Our second half Colombia player combo during his friendlies (specially vs Mexico) should have provided the right type of lens for him to see this team building on that.

US match was a bit of a weird one because there were a ton of new faces and all pretty local talent.

Lerma I feel can cover lots of ground, like Barrios. When he's paired with another DFM he tends to choke. But I wouldnt be surprised if you're right and he pairs up Lerma and Uribe.

HomietheClown repped this.
  22. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I would say only Carrascal comes close (and it's not even that close), to that type of service. Borrero I think has some flex in his dribble too that I really liked but need to see him in more matches to see if he's the real deal. And yes, as I said, I can take JFQ but not both JFQ and James.. At least JuanFer is playing.

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Just hope he is experimenting to see what he has left with most of the older players in the pool.
    When Qualifying starts hopefully he does go with the second half type of team from the Mexico match and adjusts from there.

24. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In the Paraguay match he took both and it worked out okay. I think coming off the bench might have humbled James a bit and exactly what he needs at this point for the seleccion.
    Maybe someone like Campaz will take the role away from one of those guys when/if he continues to grow in Argentina? Not sure there are many other candidates who were not called in.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Now there is a chance that both James and Falcao will start against Japan or Korea and I will be like: :sick:

kromekote repped this.