Colombian National Team General Thread

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by sidspaceman, May 18, 2015.

1. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I see we all keep forgetting Luis Suarez at Almeria, I still think he needs to be called up and tried as a 9, he was rudely removed from Marseille for no reason

Azucarero and J-Mezzy repped this.
  2. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was referring to friendlies under Lorenzo.

3. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He has probably earned a shot to be fair, atleast until JJ is starting at Villa.

4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #7554 ryu79, Mar 9, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2023
    That's like saying Zapata is an 11 or a 7 because he drags defenders out or can read when there is space on the wings he can attack. I think Duran is a 9 with great mobility and my sense is he did the same in the friendly minutes he has had with Lorenzo too. Certainly in our set up, I don't see him having trouble being on field with Lucho and Sini.

My guess is that with Ollie the two will rotate in game playing off one another.

Doogs repped this.
  5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Did not forget.
    Just has not been used as a 9 within Colombia's callups and he is more of a secondary striker at Almeria from what I have seen.

I would like to see him get a chance though.

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not really the same because Duvan played as a 9 for Colombia the majority of his callups.
    But yes, I think he can play 9. Hence I mentioned him as an option.
    Lorenzo just has not utilized him in that fashion.

7. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He's played only like 50 minutes for Lorenzo coming on in the 46th and 90th minutes of the Guatemala and Mexico games last fall - so to be fair, we don't have enough sample size to really say. However, in the game he played more minutes (against Guatemala) he actually came on for Falcao and played at 9 as the sole striker on the field and then rotated up with Borré when he came on twenty minutes later.

colombia national football team vs guatemala national football team lineups ⚽ https://g.co/kgs/UKBxZc

HomietheClown repped this.
  8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #7558 HomietheClown, Mar 10, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
    Good point. But if we see Falcao and Santos Borre both in the next callup soon then I think it is safe to say those will be the 9 options in the Asian friendlies with him probably coming in for one of the wings.
    Maybe Falcao does not get called which would probably put him next in line with someone like Borja if he is finally called.
    It will be very interesting to see who makes the roster this month and what roles they have.

9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Falcao being called up would be insane dude is done…. And just blocking the path of the future.

He going to fking Malaysia. If we don’t have players in Europe scoring then give a Colombian league guy a shot. Tho getting 37 year old Falcao is just crap scouting. I don’t think Japan or Korea will force us to call “James or Falcao” like they do in the US

Or at that point just fking bring el pibe

10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Lorenzo has said multiple times that he trusts the old players...
    ... but yes, I do not think he deserves a callup at the current moment too. (But there is a chance he may still get called up.)

11. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    The sub 20 roster came out with Yaser on it and without Duran. Safe to say Duran will be with the senior side for the Asian friendlies.

This either indicates that Duran will skip the sub 20 WC to keep focusing on his club, OR it speaks to where Lorenzo values him in his depth chart.

For Yaser's position, he's competing with Carrascal, James, and Quintero.

For Duran, despite their injuries, we know Sini and Diaz are shoe-ins to start at wing. We still have Cuadrado, Arias is in great form, Valoyes started a couple matches, and Carrascal plays just as well on the wing.

IF Duran is still going to play the sub 20 WC, I'm inferring this call up means Duran is very high on Lorenzo's striker depth chart which, at this point, only includes Borre and Falcao, both of whom are not playing.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    To me Borja should be called up and the main candidate at 9 but there's really no indication he will be.

13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was personally thinking of Borja too.

anyway, you all know by now that im still voting for Luis Suarez to get his shot

14. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I'm down for Suarez.

I view Borja in the same category I view Muriel and Zapata. Guys who, even at their absolute best, were never particularly good for Colombia consistently despite several opportunities.

At 30, he isn't going to get any better than what he is and might not even make the next WC. His form is ok for River, but he's no longer an undisputed starter for them.

We're already carrying enough decaying meat with Falcao, Cuadrado, and James...

kromekote and Doogs repped this.
  15. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    im completely over the old guys, however, we don't have much right now for 9's

Borja, Muriel and Zapata were complete dissapointments

Borre and the buffalo are younger but neither are capable of scoring consistently

J-Mezzy and Azucarero repped this.
  16. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Buffalo is not national team quality, not even in our dark ages

17. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Does Quintero deserve to be called Junior is total crap. I know it’s the coach is garbage but …. Come on.

18. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Great call on Arias. So curious if he can translate form to NT.

19. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I forgot about Oscar Estupiñan too. But if you guys don't like the Buffalo then you won't like him either. Both guys play in similar level leagues

20. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Borja is in decent form though when compared to any other 9 at the moment and Lorenzo said he will rely on older vets so I would not count him out.

That said, I am not going to disagree with you in theory. Would be nice to find younger guys who can transition in.

21. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

22. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Cuesta was expected. That guy has been a leader for both club and Country at youth level.

Lucumi though? Gotta give him some mad props for becoming a leader in such a short time at his club.

23. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    lvbeto, Furnaccio and sidspaceman repped this.
  24. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So they called in Falcao and James but no Cuadrado.

25. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    falcao , thank you for all the good memories and all that you have contributed but let him go! matheus uribe? ya basta con ese man. rather agudelo or alzate. hell Campuzano! and agreed why call an injured pre madonna stream james over cuadrado that even as a sub has a bigger impact in games for juventus. glad for arias , carbonero, and mosquera