Colombian National Team General Thread

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by sidspaceman, May 18, 2015.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am hearing that Colombia will play 11 matches this year.
    (1 Non-FIFA friendly, 2 FIFA Friendlies and 8 qualifiers.)

It has been a while since the team has played so many matches.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  2. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Hearing stuff like that makes me happy to think that we make another step further from covid.

3. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    nice, looking forward to the WCQ

4. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    hope for more Non-fifa friendlies even if its A vs B teams when the new coach does those little training camps.

A great relationship with the MLS/Mexico hopefully we can Play Mexico in Mexico or in US in a non Fifa friendly. Or a Peru/Venezuela/Ecuador non Fifa day friendlies. Doubt Argentina will do that with us they usually go the Brazil route for $$$$$.

Maybe Canada as well. We need to play games without Ospina at goal. The kid who going to Milan is great but he just going to be loaned till he is 30. We need to start developing GKs and either find ourselves the 2nd coming of Zuniga and Armero or go and switch formation.

Furnaccio repped this.
  5. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    First two paragraphs are wishful thinking, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

100% agree about GK-RB-LB

Although Munoz is a solid ok. Medina/Mojica seems to do fine against weak teams but get exposed pretty bad when facing smarter teams

6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sincerely hoping someone serious picks up the WCQ this time rather than Fubo again....

Would be awesome if ESPN or Paramount or Telemundo/Peacock did.

dapip and J-Mezzy repped this.
  7. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    you think anyone will take it? I don't see the mexicans doing it. I just assumed I was going to have to watch everything online again

8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    There's the added incentives of Messi and the World Champs, so I think there are better chances now than for the Qatar cycle, but yeah, not that high.

9. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I was so excited when BEIN sports had the rights, the only time i've been able to watch WCQ in full and with decent commentators. Was too good to be true, unfortunately here now its become impossible for anyone to maintain rights to anything because its always a game between the rich people and corporations. Someone always has more money than you and thats all anyone cares about here.

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well, Bein, ESPN, Fox and RCN/Caracol are all corporations and they're basically doing their math about how to recoup their investment. If let's say Fox know they're going to have large audiences, they can broadcast "for free" because they'll earn tons of money via advertising.

Bein started at a very unusual moment in tv, when individual networks started to say networks splintering from the cable packages because they wouldn't get the money they wanted, and that model consolidated during the last 5 years, but it did not ended well for Bein.

The question now is, if Fox or ESPN or NBC would buy another event with relatively low viewership to add another event to their already crowded lineups, or if a relatively minor player, like Fubo or fanatiz will land the tv rights for the US, with the downside of having to pay $30+ PPV or for a subscription with few additional appealing shows.

11. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    not sure what happened to Bein but it feels like they kind of turned into GolTV 2.0 in (at least here in North America). They lost all their well known commentators, lost all their leagues and have only the scraps left. (I believe they still have Libertadores/Sudamericana etc. and Ligue 1).

yep, those are the struggles of living here. I don't see any major corporation taking the rights, best case scenario is some sort of subscription service like what happened with the UCL and Paramount.

was fun while it lasted.

12. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    BEIN lost the rights to La Liga just after they separated from cable, bringing their revenues down considerably. I think that it also came at the time when their parent company (Al-Jazzera?) went into financial struggle due to economic sanctions(??)

I think that we are at a reasonable level compared with the pre-2014 WC when your only option was to go to a bar paying $30 per person. Yes, for 2014 and maybe 2018 we had a dream scenario with beIN included in almost any cable package for a reasonable price, but paying $30 something for a month and including 10 games, isn't that bad, even if you're not watching all 10 matches.

13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I believe Al Jazeera are big in the middle east and even in europe and if they are also owned by Nasser Al Khelaifi who is the PSG owner then it's odd that they would have any kinds of financial trouble, but I do remember when cable networks announced that they were dropping Bein, it definitely seemed like a sign of things to come unfortunately. Was all downhill from there.

I haven't heard a thing yet regarding WCQ at all, I think the CONCACAF WCQ are pretty much always on either ESPN or FS so perhaps they would maybe be interested in the south american ones but as you say those guys have a lot on their plate.

I remember watching a Colombia/Uruguay game in a church somewhere and eating a choripan. This was somewhere around 2005/04 I think. I think the game finished like 3-2 or 4-2 for Uruguay with Marcelo Zalayeta scoring 3 and I think JPA scored twice

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    IIRC there was some impasse between the royal families of Qatar and the UAE (don't quote me on it) and they basically kicked beIN down low, that led to some financial sanctions in the west which affected their broadcasting operation in the US.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_diplomatic_crisis

One can only hope, but even if it goes to one of the minor players and you have to do monthly for $30 or similar, I'd buy.

3-2. That day our defense went asleep into the field and allowed 2 goals, and somehow Angel and Rey made it even, only for the defense to screw up again and allow the Charruas to come on top.

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In English FOX has the rights for qualifying this cycle.
    I am hoping they at least put most of them on FS2. Maybe the bigger matches on FS1.
    They do want everyone to know that the next World Cup is in the USA so actually making a big deal about qualifying would be nice.

dapip repped this.
  16. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    That's awesome. Hopefully another network has a similar deal for Spanish broadcasting.

17. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    perfect, i can live with that

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Well, I think I mispoke here.

FOX has the rights for the Copa America 2024 and Olympic Sub 23 Qualifying.
    Also has the women's World Cup qualifying but nothing about the men.

Sorry about that.
    Hopefully they get those too but as dapip says they do not make much money.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    dapip repped this.
  20. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  21. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    What channel will the friendly be on

22. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    there's a friendly? and who tf is Ruiz?

23. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Probably Turner

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    • Saturday, January 28
      • 07:30 PM EST
        United States vs. Colombia (International Friendly)

I suspect Ruiz from Millos, but he's playing with the team in Orlando this week, so who knows...

25. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yea Ruiz from Millos they've been hyping him for 2 years.... just let him play the game score and have Millos sell another top prospect to the MLS :) after those Argentina, Portugal rumors all died