Colombian National Team General Thread

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by sidspaceman, May 18, 2015.

1. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Does anyone really think Osorio would be a good coach?

[​IMG]

Really?? Are people blind?

Pinto is garbage... If we are going to put out crap choices might as well select Chiki Garcia

J-Mezzy repped this.
  2. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    For me…Pinto’s legacy will always be seeing him celebrate a draw in Bolivia…

I get that elevation is an issue, but I’ve never seen a professional sports team celebrate mediocrity the way Pinto did that one time.

dapip and Unforgiven repped this.
  3. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Good? Debatable.

Do I think he would have fielded more coherent call ups and line ups than we've seen from Rueda and that he would experiment more progressively - yeah. I think we'd probably not be in this funk with him.

Is he an unprofessional/immature moron with a complete lack of shame to keeping his commitments - yes. Is he prone to over tinkering - totes!

Osorio is a mod reward/high risk candidate but overall - way better than JLP!

I'd go hire Matias Almeyda as my pragmatic candidate. He is probably happy in San Jose, but this would give him some prominence and an interesting challenge and given our line up it would be an interesting project. I liked what he did at River before Gallardo came in. But I don't think he'd come in until after this qualifying process.

Lastly - Chiqui Garcia had us in qualifying position and was fired after a huge comeback to tie away in Venezuela. While people didn't like the catenaccio he was playing atleast he had a clear idea of play!

RafaLarios and dapip repped this.
  4. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    No Colombian coach is currently capable of taking the NT helm and staking their own claim.
    We're not at a critical low but almost there.

It was after missing out on 3 consecutive WCs, after Copa America 2011, the Bolillo debacle followed by the Leonel debacle that finally FCF decided to go outside of their comfort zone.

Would be shocked if FCF picks a DT prior to the WC. They'll have us wait, hope and anguish as they always do.

RafaLarios repped this.
  5. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The 7 months without a coach in this cycle loom large. An excellent point.

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I see your 7 months and raise you a full year, until the FIFA dates in March 2023, and possibly a little longer.

RafaLarios repped this.
  7. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Oh man forgot about that, at the end of the day the federation is the main culprit of all this, mistake after mistake.

8. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And meanwhile our previous manager while red carded, has now his national team in the finals of the AFCON...

Seriously what bullshit.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  9. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #6434 ryu79, Feb 3, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2022
    Yeah. His team while generally effective wasn't playing too hot at the end, but he was grinding out results anyway. I wish we knew what the discord was and whether it was his tactics in those two games or truly a set up as people say.

The set up thing to me feels a little convenient and I struggle with the assertion that James (the most vain and egocentric guy on the team) told his guys to lose - I've always thought more likely we just got whooped and then this set up talk was an excuse.

But then you hear CQ was bad because he didn't understand South America. But I mean he has coached to reasonable results in Europe and really impressive results in Africa and the Middle East. That excuse calls to mind how prior to Pekerman people used to say that non-Colombians wouldn't understand Colombia...

I am sure Quieroz signed an NDA or something, but I hope one day we get a real oral history of the events.

-

In the aftermath of Quieroz, the WILDEST thing with Rueda will always be for me that he had MONTHS to observe all our players around the world and build rapport with them (even if over social media) - literally, you couldn't leave your home for stretches of the period and live sports was the only new content for a while - all you could do was Zoom and watch Sports! And then he still called up random homies he knew for the Copa instead of the bevy of young talent that emerged in 2020. We knew then.

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #6435 dapip, Feb 3, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2022
    I saw the last few matches from Egypt and I was not impressed. The only good match was against Morocco, where tactics were debatable but was extremely fun to watch. In the other games, they simply outlasted the competition without being terribly brilliant.

At the end I think that they were spent and having played 3 OT games and counted on the pressure mounting on Cameroon, and they were right. All in all the games that I’ve seen have been entertaining but very modest, kind of watching bottom of the pack teams in Conmebol, and I don’t think that Queiroz did anything special, other than having the most talented team in the continent.

Hopefully the game against Senegal will be entertaining.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  11. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I feel terrible for Cameroon. They really DID put forth effort today and created so many chances in the 1H. They just fell apart and lost composure in the penalties. Sad for the hosts.

I tend to always believe Colombia and Cameroon are linked between Milla humbling Higuita in Italy and Marc Vivian Foe. Two countries that could have been more in the sport.

12. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Glad you're able to bring back some perspective. CQ was NOT the magic pill. Our match play peaked for Copa America 1st round with CQ and his weird and haphazard subs we were also scratching our heads.

13. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Quieroz (not inconspicuously) sitting in the stands and coaching via walkie talkie is pretty hilarious!

dapip repped this.
  14. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And Senegal wins their first AFCON via penalties.

No trophy for Quieroz thank god.

dapip and ryu79 repped this.
  15. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yup. Though to Dapip's point getting to pens was probably what he coached his team to do and they ran into prob the best keeper on the planet.

The image of him thinking how clever he is talking into the walkie talkie really made me laugh either way.

16. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Honestly Sengal played a better tournament and them winning their first ever trophy means more to them than Egypt who won many times already.

dapip repped this.
  17. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Such a dark period since the lost to England at the last WC.

this is down to the directors not being serious people. They acted by getting rid of Pekerman which to me was and still is the right decision but then they just sat on their asses collecting money without getting a coach for months.

they then picked the wrong coach and waited for his contact to be over.

that did not work. So then they fired him and waited for Rueda to end his contract.

now Rueda has had a record that isn’t even in our worst nightmares under Maturana or Bolillo and they are waiting!!

they should have acted and fired him in November. He lost his direct bid to the EC with the tie against Ecuador.

now they are fking waiting again to decide!! Osorio said he will coach us for free. Give him the last 2 games. If he wins we qualify and give him the job.

he loses… we are already eliminated and have time to find a new coach !

I just don’t get how these fking people have jobs! They said they’d quit if we didn’t qualify for 2006 and 2010… we didn’t.

the head of the federation got arrested and the #2 goes I didn’t know anything about it and is allowed to stay!

how much money does the federation lose by not qualifying?

Furnaccio and krass repped this.
  18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I missed the final game, but I'll try to watch some of it later today. In all honesty, Egypt looked a lot like his Colombian team, playing a very static 4-3-3 and hoping that the start winger (Salah or Diaz) created something for the other attackers. I think after the Quarter finals they ran out of gas, there's only so many minutes you can play in 10 days, but then, if you are a good coach, you try to finish the games in 90, and that was not how the team was set in the semifinal, or apparently in the final.

J-Mezzy repped this.
  19. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Aside from a few farcical moments a pretty boring watch. Kept hoping for a moment of brilliance from Salah or Mane but essentially a keepers duel.

20. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    #6445 villus, Feb 7, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2022
    Senegal's team is waaaay stronger then Egypt's, has a pretty good player at almost every position, and some really top players all throughout the team. Egypt going to pens is not a bad result really.

The players giving up in those last games under Rueda is probably a lot on them more than anything, idk what happened but I think it is clear that Rueda really botched the actual tactics. I don't think CQ is a great coach by any mean, but he doesn't seem to make big mistakes and gets a good feel on who the best players are and plays them.

21. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    I dont want Osorio to be our coach and I think we all here agree on that but Rueda will not change anything if he stays. And right now, no serious coach will take over for two games.

As much as I know, Rueda has a contract until march so, it actually doesnt matter if they fire him now or let him stay until march in terms of money. So tell him, hey Rueda just go on vacation before time, we will use an interim coach for the last two games, that's it.

22. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Rumors of Osorio or Reyes haha... you really think Osorio is not better than every other Colombian option? Only better option is Gamero and they won't let him have it

23. krass

krass Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    right now, it feels like every other coach is a better option than Rueda

we do need to win, so let us get anyone that plays offensive football... dont care about the name

24. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And they can dance!

dapip repped this.
  25. Doogs