Colombian National Team General Thread

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by sidspaceman, May 18, 2015.

1. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I mean he lost 6-1 to Ecuador... lol. I believe we hadn't lost to them in years or something and then boom not only does he lose but he gets completely squished by an average team. Embarrassing, one of those games I will store in the back of my brain alongside all the other psychological trauma colombian teams have put me through in the past.

RafaLarios repped this.
  2. GavoCol

GavoCol Member

May 12, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    because Chile continues to believe that they have the same team from 2015, and that they should play the same as with Bielsa and Sampaoli.

but mainly because they think that he is "raton" when they are winning at home or tying away

Chile still don't understand that they currently don't have recambio, and Rueda tried to fix that and that's why they criticize him

J-Mezzy repped this.
  3. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    sounds like something crzd would cry over. Basically they're being silly. Good to know its nothing serious.

colombians were doing something similar when Pekerman was here

RafaLarios and J-Mezzy repped this.
  4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agreed on Quieroz. Have never seen the wheels come off like that from one set of fixtures to the next. The locker room saved him in Santiago on pure heart after his call up was so nonsensical...only to fall apart a month later...

5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Eduardo Lara was a awful U20 coach and an even worse SNT coach

6. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pinto have been the worse only 3 victories in 11 offitial matches. One agusnt usa 23 in copa america after being eliminated....

5 0 lost agsint paraguay

4 1 lost against argentina

4 0 lost against chile...

Lost with uruguay at bogota

Also his plsyer selection was atrocious with ringo amaya, arizala, walter moreno, portocarrero, valoyes over falcao, edixon perea....viafara

In numbers queiroz was better...he had 4 victories in 8 matches and two losses...

7. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i forgot all about that. Yup that was the famous Copa America where we got squished by everyone. I seem to have that blacked out from my brain.

when i think of Queiroz I will think of his win against Argentina in Copa America and the traumatic losses against Uruguay, Ecuador and Algeria.

Furnaccio repped this.
  8. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    If I recall correctly, the only thing Pinto did well was introduce Carlos Sanchez to the side.

crzdcolombian, lvbeto and Azucarero repped this.
  9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Didn’t Roca, Ospina and Falcao debut under Pinto?

10. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Yeah, but anybody would've brought in Falcao and Ospina eventually.

Sanchez was playing in Uruguay, and, even on these forums, nobody knew who he was.

Doogs, crzdcolombian, Tio Nicci and 2 others repped this.
  11. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He made Falcao play at LW....

12. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And always changed him after 45 minutes....beacise he wanted to play carmelo valencia

crzdcolombian and J-Mezzy repped this.
  13. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Get out!! I don’t even remember that LOL

crzdcolombian repped this.
  14. minus

minus Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Portugal
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Count our blessings! It could have been worst with someone like Pinto being available. Lets hope Rueda signs soon!

pepinointer repped this.
  15. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Pinto was a nightmare. I still get the chills remembering his run. Chiqui García is a close second.. god damn he was horrible too ..

pepinointer and J-Mezzy repped this.
  16. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Chiqui Garcia got fired for tying away - in a game where his team made a crazy comeback and scored two goals in the last ten minutes. I think he was in qualifying position at the time he got canned too!

He didn't have the players either. Tino was super inconsistent, Hamilton disappeared right after their first couple of matches, Congo got buried in Spain, and JPA/el Tigre were just getting blooded. And we were desperately looking for a 10 rolling out a new experiment every couple of games between Giovanni, Mayer Candelo, Morantes, etc.

Not saying Chiqui was a genius but he was operating with a different kind of squad as Quieroz...

dapip, kromekote and pepinointer repped this.
  17. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he kinda came out of nowhere. Somewhat similar to Wilmar Barrios at Tolima but at least was playing locally so he would have been more well known.

i remember thinking it was cool that Leonel Alvarez called up James when he was still a U-20 for the senior team. Other clowns would have been too scared to call him up at the time

18. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #4718 pepinointer, Dec 5, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2020
    When sanchez debut in NT he was already a valenciennes player...in 2007 against brasil

Yeah pinto had his merit but isnt like he just scouted in uruguay.

Leonel was the first to called james because before he was prepared to be part of the team fro the world cup in 2011 in colombia...that wss the reason he didnt was part of the team in copa america 2011....it was cup o world cup.......but isnt like leonel made an statement...maybe he wss brave to started with him

Rueda played with abel aguilar as starter in 2003 in copa america when actually he was a u 20....and he performed well...he brought a player that was useful for 15 years in NT...actually that was a real discovery

19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    There was a game against Chile where they were defending all the time and Cordoba and Yepes were clearing everything, then the counterattack between Murillo, Angel and Castillo was lethal and IIRC we beat them 1-0.

It was not a pretty sight for the most part, but Garcia knew what he wanted to play. He got fired after a 2-2 in Venezuela while being in fourth or fifth position.

Maturana was appointed and in his first game we lost against Argentina 3-0. We also lost against Peru in Curramba and I think missed the playoff spot by goal difference.

ryu79, Azucarero and pepinointer repped this.
  20. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Negative. Pinto debuted Sanchez against Panama before the 2007 Copa America. Then he included him on the pre-squad.

Sanchez didn't go to Valenciennes until later in July, and that only after he was signed by an investor firm.

Credit where credit is due to Pinto.

sidspaceman and pepinointer repped this.
  21. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    i remember seeing his name on the list and being like "who the hell is this Carlos Sanchez" guy. Sounds like someone's next door neighbor or something

sidspaceman, Azucarero and pepinointer repped this.
  22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah. People always talk about Chiqui like he was a disaster... And he may have become one but his results were alright considering what he was working with.

Actually, I saw him doing tv color commentary once and was impressed by his insight. I didn't realize it was him talking until they showed him at half time and I was shocked.

And I remember that goal - so full of promise then - Angel at his River peak and Castillo with all the promise in the world (as an America fan I was extra hyped about him at the time).

dapip and sidspaceman repped this.
  23. ColombianKilla

Aug 12, 2011
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We might have qualified to that world cup if we stayed with Chiqui

24. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Or if Argentina had really tried against Uruguay in their last game.

25. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You all seem to forget that chiqui also put his son in the National Team. Talk about nepotism.

sidspaceman, pepinointer and J-Mezzy repped this.