Colombian National Team General Thread

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by sidspaceman, May 18, 2015.

1. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    HomietheClown repped this.
  2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Guess they loved the turnout in Tampa the last time they played there.

3. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Logistically it makes total sense as well. Don’t even need to waste a day traveling

HomietheClown repped this.
  4. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    agree quintero and pabon for me should be blacklsited always depsite their level and form in clubs.............they are kind of players that never tried to imporve their deffects and are arrogants and blame others of his failures.........

They arent collective and self critical.........

5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    nYc is usually empty. Almost makes me wonder if they wouldn’t make more money just playing in Colombia.

As well as at least 2 times I went people threw bottles at our players. At 1 of them think it was against Venezuela or Ecuador someone hit Falcao in the head. He went over to talk to the people who threw it. Wish it was Teo or a guy who would have sprinted after them

6. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I would love to have these friendlies in colombia. At least they should play them in cites that are not Barranquilla. A good opponent in Medellin would sell out I guess.

We don't have that many opportunities to see La Selección live in Medellín :cry:

You know what?, with the grafting and corruption in FCF, it was easier for me to get tickets to see the Selección in Russia than in Barranquilla (and cheaper too). I am not joking about that.

really ..... ******** FCF

7. jay luis

jay luis Member+

Sep 14, 2013
    Corona, Nyc
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No se pero deberían llamar el dios cucho

J-Mezzy repped this.
  8. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

RafaLarios repped this.
  9. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Demigod of the goal and pass, shape shifter, hero to man...

J-Mezzy and jay luis repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3735 HomietheClown, Apr 5, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Changing the subject to one of our main issues... ...RB.

I was watching Olimpia play in the Libertadores and there is a defender (ex Santa Fe) there who is looking pretty good. Sergio Otálvaro plays decent defense and actually knows how to cross the ball decently too. (At least from what I saw yesterday.). In some ways I would say he crosses better than Arias.:p

Could he be an old man option like Diaz was at LB last cycle?

jay luis repped this.
  11. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    HE also mentioned Carlos Sanchez which will make many people here pull their hair out. :ROFLMAO:

crzdcolombian and jay luis repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3738 HomietheClown, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    I have been thinking a lot about the 38 players that Queiroz will choose from for the Copa like an algebra math problem. I assume the 23 we saw in Asia are part of the 38.

That leaves 15 other players to choose from. Obvious players are Ospina, Cuadrado, Arias.
    That leaves 12 players.
    He has mentioned Mojica, Fabra, Roca and Izzy in interviews.
    That leaves 8 players.
    He visited Scolari and talked about Borja.
    That leaves 7 players.

This is where it gets tricky and a lot of assumptions will be made.

I assume there is another Keeper like Cuadrado who was part of the World Cup team.
    That leaves 6 players.
    I believe another defender like Oscar is probably on the list because he was also on the World Cup squad.
    That leaves 5 players.
    He mentioned Morelos over Bacca due to age but now with the stupid suspension he may be back in the fold.
    That leaves 4 players.

Castillo and Fuentes from Junior had Visas and were prepared to fly to Asia according to the media.
    That leaves 2 players.

Now the last two players are probably guys who have been called up recently. Campuzano? Cadona? Benedetti? Cucho?

Am I missing anyone?

I think it is safe to say that no one else will probably make the cut but there's still some gray areas and it is fun to speculate about.

EDIT*
    Cristian Zapata was mentioned in two interviews. so that leaves 1 spot of the 38 player pool according to my math.

RafaLarios, sidspaceman and Azucarero repped this.
  14. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He mentioned Garcia of Sevilla the goalie and that he likes a different type of goalie then Ospina.

Not giving any minutes to Montero and Bangueras bad season at Santa Fe. I just don’t see another keeper. Rionegro has a Colombian keeper but he gets lit up. Envigado has 2 but they seem to rotate who is the starter.

Think you are missing Bernardo at CB.

Then maybe guys who play in Mexico, Argentina or Brazil. Unless a U20 dude does incredible and gets promoted to the SNT instantly like abel did.

15. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Banguera is benchr of the worst team of the tournament. The tecnique of the guy isnt good.

Last semestrr he wasnt good......

Shouldnt be an option

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I personally don't think Bernardo is in the mix but he could be.

Not sure about any more Mexican, Argentina or Brazilian based players either.

17. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Great deductive reasoning. And, whether you're right or wrong, your breakdown of this upsets me. A 38 player pool seems incredibly limited given the amount of injuries we've had and the total ineptness of some of our defenders recently.

I don't know, but I find myself scoffing at everything that comes out of Quieroz' mouth, and I can't tell if it's just me giving stepfather a hard time...

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #3743 HomietheClown, Apr 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    I just think going from the Asian Cup with a team he knew quite well straight into Copa America preparation with a new team he has very little clue about tied his hands behind his back.
    If the thinks 38 or so players is the right amount to focus on and not get too inundated with an over-saturation of info his first few months on the job then so be it.

I am already writing off the Copa as a loss and just hope we are playing well once WCQing starts up.

19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I just noticed I said Castillo and not Cantillo for Junior. :ROFLMAO:

20. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    sidspaceman repped this.
  21. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Watching the semi finals of the Champions league and we've seen how the teams that are brave, press high up the field and are attacking have been rewarded with deep runs. Liverpool, Ajax, Tottenham are all teams that play with a high pressing squad that has everyone defending and everyone on the field can play with the ball at their feet. We have the players to play that type of soccer if we want, I'd love for CQ to not be overly pragmatic and play attackers who can press defenders rather then overly defensive side with double holding mids. Watching this type of soccer really makes me want us to have a progressive coach that will encourage our players to be brave, take risks and attack but also to have a side that can hunt down the opposition team high up the pitch rather then bunkering and being overly pragmatic and defensive in our shape.

22. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    i think it's apples and oranges with NT. What kind of players do you think we have that can keep that high up field pressure for 90 minutes? You really see Falcao, James, Duvan, Cuadrado playing that high pressure type of soccer? You still have to be able to compensate in defense if the 'gamble' isn't there and the fastest guy in the back is Davidson who can likely catch up but also can have some huge misses... look at that start of our Russia WC again at how a quick counter team like Japan kept a high line of our defenders in constant problems.
    Personally our best futbol is still played with the ball at our feet with quicker transitions and a compact team. What I sometimes see from many of our players is there is a lack of 'pass and move' play hence why I don't think it's in our DNA to expect our guys to put constant pressure on the ball.

dapip, Cruzifero and sidspaceman repped this.
  23. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #3748 Cruzifero, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019
    NT futbol is in a whole 'nother level. I think people have this erroneous idea that we have a super squad, capable of all these feats, like playing with a back three and all out attack for 90 mins. Our program is still in diapers. Yes we count with a very promising generation of players, but far from elite. And while I like the idea of being bolder on attack, I doubt our current coach will implement this.

kromekote and dapip repped this.
  24. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah I agree with the overall sentiment. NT is very different. You don't have anywhere near the time to work with players to design systems and develop and mould them. We don't have an elite generation of players but Liverpool has performed over the last two years with players that are definitely not elite. Henderson, Origi, Shaqiri, Milner these guys all started and contributed in the 4-0 win but the system of pressing high and having everyone work throughout the team allowed the whole to be stronger then the parts.

Chile under Sampaoli played very much that style and had a lot of success, we have a squad that could do similar things.

25. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Cuadrado and Duvan would fit really well in a system like that, Falcao definitely would not and James can adapt and be the one guy you shield. We have two very good CB's who can compensate, they're still young and they'll improve, against Japan we were down a player for almost the whole game so its not a great example.

Muriel, Duvan, Cucho, Lerma, Barrios, Uribe, Cuadrado, Davinson, Arias are all really suited to a high pressing system. James isn't necessarily but he's played at times in Bayern in a similar system and done well, he can do it.

Our DNA which in many ways is molded by the 94 generation is idolized on getting a lot of players around the ball when we have possession and guys like El Pibe who clustered into small triangles around the ball, a pressing team is based on this philosophy because when you lose the ball on a short pass in a short passing system you have a lot of players close to the ball that can now hunt to win it back, rinse and repeat. It should be an easy transition but we need to be ready to avoid playing players who are one dimensional.