Colombia vs Venezuela Copa America 2021 (June 17th)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm not looking forward for diving Neymar and eventual red card Colombia...

side note: it literally feels like Colombia gets a red card every 2 games.

RafaLarios repped this.
  2. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It baffles me that Farinez is not playing for a better club than a mid table team in France. Shouldn't he be at Milan at this point?

3. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he is a sub in France

think it’s his height

same reason big teams don’t want Ospina they want 6’5 dudes at goal

Furnaccio repped this.
  4. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    why? he just got there. Also, could be wrong but Lens are a lower midtable/bottom table team. They recently got promoted and I don't believe he's a regular starter either. I also think he's still technically owned by Millonarios. This is a good tournament for him to showcase. He makes one or two wondersaves, some normal low effort saves and commentators hyping him up like they've been doing and he might get some interest from better teams

RafaLarios repped this.
  5. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    He looked like that when he was signed by Millonarios, but he then was very inconsistent, with some great games and some horrid performances. IIRC he was not even the sure starter before he moved to France.

Besides, even established South American goalies are not that coveted by European teams, that seem to prefer to use that spot for a communitarian player.

Cosmin10 and pepinointer repped this.
  6. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We played well. We dominated completely, took 23 shots, 8 on target, created chances, but Farinez had a game of one in a lifetime (two in his case, both against Colombia). Just to remind you that with Queiroz we didn't even create chances. I'm more than OK with our match yesterday, give us another 10 matches like this and we will win 9 of them.

RafaLarios, pepinointer and ryu79 repped this.
  7. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My thoughts exactly. The problem is that Cardona can't play a full match, but we still should've played more calmly than to continue with these crossing and long balls. I hate it. I actually like Cuadrado and he cut to the center and manage our plays. Yesterday he tried his dribbles too much again. But we created chances, we suffered from the finishing.

pepinointer and Furnaccio repped this.
  8. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Nahòn!

pibe10 repped this.
  9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    welcome back.....

but how many times has our team made it look like a goalie had the game of "his life"

usually down to our guys not shooting on target or having balls to win. Tired of always going wow the goalie went god mode

Doogs repped this.
  10. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Actually the last time i remember the goalie was star was in venezuela 2017...also fariñez.

Which other time the opponet goalie was figure?

pibe10 and Cosmin10 repped this.
  11. minus

minus Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Portugal
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The more I see Munoz play, the more I see him as an average player. I am not sure why he was called up. Please no more Tesillo at LB. This is Quieroz legacy still hunting us.

12. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #187 HomietheClown, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    That is the way it goes with LBs and RBs. Remember when Medina first started for us? People around here were saying he is horrible and should never play on the team ever again after looking bad against Uruguay and Chile.

Now he has played much better since those days.

I think Munoz can eventually be solid at RB too.

I remember one of the first times I saw Armero I was like meh he is not that good. But eventually he got better and played well for us for the most part. Even scored our first Goal in a world cup in 16 years.

pepinointer and minus repped this.
  13. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    As for Tesillo, I do not want to see him start again. He is a CB for the most part in MExico and that is where he should play in my opinion. A backup CB for us should be his position.

pibe10 repped this.
  14. minus

minus Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Portugal
    Club:
    Junior Barranquilla
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I see your point. He can grow into the position. He hasn't been as bad as Tesillo. I guess we were a bit spoiled with Zugina and transitioning to Santi and of course the surprised development of Medina.

On the left side, we should be calling up Fuentes.

pibe10 repped this.
  15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    i like Fuentes for the most part but the last few games I saw him play in the Libertadores he looked like a poor man's Tesillo. Mostly played defense and had no idea what to do going forward or in the final third.
    At least he is way younger than Tesillo and can get better but bringing in Fabra was the better option.

16. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I have liked muñoz..it seems he have all the tools and potential to be the starter in the nt...

Full backs take time to fit in the system of the team.

Tesillo isnt armero.. but tactical understand much better the position than mojica and fabra...for me havent been terrible.

17. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I’m still skittish with Medina. Crossing - he’s awesome. Defense, I’m not sold yet LoL

18. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I think Munoz has improved each game and was pretty effective against Venezuela (of course, he had no pressure on his flank). Think he is fine as a back up though certainly not on level of Arias or prior to that Camilo.

Medina can cross the ball well, but I'd still love for us to develop a true rb soon to play there.

pepinointer repped this.
  19. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Easier said than done.
    It seems like there's not too many true RBs youngsters in Colombia that are good enough.
    Maybe Herrera in Portugal can be that guy but even he has his deficiencies.

20. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Clearly! Which is wild because we had such a run on both sides for years.

21. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    There are some prospects, but they are still very raw. There´s Yeferson Paz on Sassuolo, just 19 years old.

22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    So you are saying there is hope? :)

23. Baal88

Baal88 Member+

May 10, 2008
    Medellin
    Club:
    Independiente Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #198 Baal88, Jun 19, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    There will always be. Honestly he's more of a wingback. I see a bit of Cuadrado in him.

Older players there's also Esneyder Mena, who when he begins running is unstoppable until he reaches the end of the field. I think he's the fastest player in the league.

pibe10, pepinointer and ryu79 repped this.
  24. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Left-back was always a problem for us. Only Bedoya and Armero were any good and if we'll return 30 years ago, so Wilson Perez was also good. Today we have to choose between Fuentes (my choice also), Fabra, Mojica and Borja. I'm not a fan of any of them but they are all better option then Tesillo who clearly seems uncomfortable.
    I like Cuadrado when James doesn't play because he needs to be more involve and not to stuck in the right side with his dribbles but in case James will return, I would like to see Cuadrado as a RB just like he plays for Juve. An excellent offensive RB with James in the same side, at least against NT that we are favorites against them.

25. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    With James back and Arias

we need to see if Medina or Arias can play LB. if not then use 3 in the back. Way too many CBs right now to force the team to play out of position or worse players just because that’s how we have always played.

the team that played against Venezuela is the starting line up just replace Tesillo with either Arias or Medina. Same with Munoz who hasn’t impressed me. Medina is better.

james for Cardona.

pibe10 repped this.