Colombia vs Venezuela Copa America 2021 (June 17th)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Jun 12, 2021.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #226 HomietheClown, Jun 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2021
    Just my humble opinion.
    Apparently Rueda does not think they are ready and he has his own criteria.

For me though ...
    ...None of the players from what I have seen look like pure Right wingers/ Right forwards for one.

Sinisterra has played some left wing and right wing. Even as a #9. (He is also coming off an injury.)

Seems like most of the goals by Valoyes have been towards the center of the park and he tends to cut in and drift to the middle a lot. Not really Right winger from what I have seen in highlights mostly. I will admit I have not seen many of his games.

Carbonero seems more effective on the left from what I have seen.

2. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    Yeah, Sini and Carbonero play on the left mostly. Although Carbonero played on the right plenty for Once Caldas.

Valoyes is primarily a RW for Talleres. They put him centrally when the gameplan is to counter attack.

As for them being battle ready in Rueda's eyes, Juan Ferney Otero being on the extended list doesn't speak to a particularly high standard...

3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    True about Otero.
    Maybe he valued that he is 26 years old and has been around. Maybe he values the Mexican League more than the Argentine League. Also seems to be the type with a cannon of an outside shot. I mentioned this in other threads but he seems like a taller Pabon.

I personally was happy for Otero because he was playing about as well as Mendoza was who got called up by Queiroz.
    Scored some Golazos in Mexico from what I have seen in YouTube so maybe that had something to do with it?
    Your guess is as good as mine.

4. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I had the same impression of Valoyes when the first cut ups of him started getting posted here and admittedly, I had seen him play in the center against Defensa y Justicia - I'd pegged him as a second striker as you say. Then someone (I think Sugar or Dapip) posted a heat map of his touches that showed him playing the vast majority of his time on the right wing.

I was intrigued so I started watching Talleres matches in full and truly - the guy is a natural right winger (he switches wings and plays in center when asked but you can tell he is really comfortable out on right).

I highly suggest you watch a few of their matches if you have Paramount+ (they have their match replays on demand and highlights of each game), my observations over past month (which is why I've become so eager to see him given a shot in the NT):

- He plays without the ball. Sells out and streaks by the fullback to give the midfield somewhere to go. His name is being called constantly because so much of the game flows through him on the right. He lead the Arg league in takes, so is effective off the dribble too, but I am more intrigued by the work he does off ball.

- He is very adept at winning the by line and turning the corner. He is a decent crosser (more akin to C4 at Udinese than C4 at Juve if you know what I mean, but fine), I've noted he looks to create more than shoot, which I think is probably keeping his goal numbers down but Talleres are a fun free flowing side so I think that's just their vibe. I think they are very well coached.

- He is big and fast for a Colombian winger. He routinely overtakes center backs to win deep balls from midfield (often making up ground on them) - he'd be up there on our team with regard to sheer pace but what makes him different is that at 6 feet tall he wins a lot in the air too.

- Maybe most important - he doesn't appear to suffer from terrible decision-itis which so many of our kids do.

Stuff not in his bag yet:

- Dead balls - he doesn't take them.
    - Long distance shooting - if he were to add this to his game he'd be real trouble to defend because defenders need to be weary of him running by them.

Really think you should give him more of a watch.

In terms of whether these dudes are ready that's totally subjective. But we are playing teams trotting out MLS players and we are fielding one too!

I don't think they are starters for the qualifiers over our EU delegation but they probably will be one day (someone is gonna have to be) and I hope Rueda gives them a shot soon to atleast go building rapport (we are OLD at several positions).

5. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I mean we called and have fielded Chara... the MLS is just starting. Sini had more games this season than Chara (had played for the Timbers when called!).

6. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    You sound like you are either related to him, his agent, or his biggest fan.

I am just not really impressed and do not see him as a Right wing option right now or ready for this level.
    Obviously neither does Rueda.

We trotted out an MLS player who is a veteran who knows his system and knows his tactics and what is expected in tournaments.
    Not like some MLS guy who was off the street.

Context is everything.

7. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Not at all. As you admitted above to not actually having seen him play at right wing I thought I would share what has impressed me.

I would have let it lie but given your strong positions i was surprised you were evaluating him on so little. All good, to each his own.

8. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #233 HomietheClown, Jun 27, 2021
    I was in that thread and have seen the conversation you are alluding to.

If it was so evident that Valoyes should have been called up he would have been called up.
    It is not a strong position that I have, just acknowledging the obvious.

9. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You love the word context. The context here is that there were A LOT of questionable call ups for this tournament (I don't seem to be alone feeling that way, btw). You yourself have noted that the criteria for this call up appears to have weighted very heavily on prior playing time for Rueda (to the point where it appears more important as a factor than form because we called up guys like Chara whose leagues were just starting and others like Perez coming off limited games) - inclusion in this call up doesn't seem to be a solid benchmark for NT worthiness.

I think over time we will see these guys and I hope when we do they have the time to adapt in properly that this tournament would have provided.

I really only responded here with the observations above because you mentioned not having seen him play that position. All good.

Azucarero repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #235 HomietheClown, Jun 27, 2021
    I love the word Context because it is important to realize why things happen and also important to realize what causes the things to happen.

Connecting the dots It seems like most Managers do not call unfamiliar players who are inexperienced and a bit raw for their first real interaction with their player pool.

Valoyes will have chances in the future? Maybe. Not sure. I am not even sure he is even on the radar but you said there were a few questions about him by the media that were brushed off so maybe he is in his secret plans come this fall.

11. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #236 ryu79, Jun 27, 2021
    Fair. The context of the broken locker room he inherited is probably the biggest factor in calling his buddies. I think he could have balanced merit more (he could have gone landing his way with the lambs), but that's the story. He gets away with it now, because it's his first call up and you have the locker room he inherited, but hopefully it's not a trend... After a while, that's just la rosca.

HomietheClown repped this.
  12. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    You can say he called this played and that player because he trusted him and they know his tactics yet his own statements are that he is experimenting with tactics and clearly his number one goal is not to win this tournament above all else. So whatever reasoning anyone uses to explain why guys like Chara and Perez are called is simply trying to justify poor decisions that we don't really know why they were made. Bottom line a competent manager calls his best players and gets to know them in a position like this, regardless of what they did 5 years ago when he got a close up of them because they played for him, this is the chance to see the other players who based on their body of work clearly have more talent and potential. Justifying it by jumping through hoops to explain the reasoning doesn't change the fact that its bad, and if he's defaulting to these guys that's not good, its either lazy or a lack of ability to form new relationships and get his ideas across to superior players. There is no world where Perez, Murillo and Chara are players that we build a foundation on over other better younger players who he hasn't managed in the past.

dapip, Azucarero and ryu79 repped this.
  13. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Very well said.