Colombia vs Peru Copa America 2021 (June 20th)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Is that hard for our players to move into open space and pass the ball into open space???

Player B passes to Player A and player A will have 2 opposing defenders on him by the time the ball arrives. No chasing or thought process involved.

Player B passes the ball 10-15 yards (or meters) in front of Player A and now the opposing defenders have to chase and actually think “what’s next?”

Tesillo - very disappointing and quite disturbing on that first goal. Wtf - what is Rueda seeing that makes him a better option than Fabra??

Why sub Morelos for Medina??? The problem was not the finishing but not having players who could string 2 consecutive passes into open space.

Barrios - he’s the man.

Cuadrado - this isn’t middle school footy where you just give the ball to the fast kid and always hope for something magical.

I liked Sebastian Perez 5 years ago

I need to watch some euro games this week. It’s quite cleansing for the soul. So much more finesse, tactics and less drama/bickering

Other than Brazil, these Copa America matches are like prison yard competitions.

RafaLarios, krass and Azucarero repped this.
  2. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    maybe he's using this tournament to try stuff and isn't interested in winning, would make more sense

sidspaceman repped this.
  3. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Hey guys

Sorry about yesterday - and I'm not here to talk about the game because that would be disrespectful on my part, being on the opposing team (didn't even get to see it either)

A bit of a consolation for you is that if Peru finish 2nd and Brazil 1st, Colombia goes on the other side of the bracket, avoiding Brazil.

And somebody mentioned Colombia could be eliminated. That is near impossible, because even if Ecuador and Venezuela beat Peru, you'd still have 1 more point.

Didn't get to watch the game as mentioned, I'm in Jasper Park right now looking for wildlife and accidentally planned my tour as the same time as this game.

RafaLarios repped this.
  4. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You post here enough where we wouldn’t take any offense and you always share insightful comments.

RafaLarios repped this.
  5. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    I appreciate it, but I still don't want to be taken out of context.

6. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Class. Enjoy your vacation, SC. Your team made you proud last night.

7. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Thanks mate!

There are the views I'm getting over here :cool:

[​IMG]

RafaLarios, sidspaceman and ryu79 repped this.
  8. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The Fox commentator (I think it was Warren Barton) made the point last night that we are so conservative with playing to feet that the Colombian build up deliberately awaits the defense to reset so it can find a guy open to circ the ball to, rather than passing into space behind the defense and pressing the opposition. A lot of this is definitely the lack of natural full backs but in general we are so static...

sidspaceman and Furnaccio repped this.
  9. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I feel like I’m partly to blame for last night. I started watching the game on FS1 but I switched to Unimas for the Spanish commentary. Should have stuck with FS1 :(

10. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I always use my caracol stream, trying to figure out who has the rights for what and for which games is annoying af because every 6 months it changes. I cba with it

11. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    anytime I see Mina trying to do more than what a CB should be doing, I cringe. Our whole backline is suspect and Brazil will expose us tremendously. Playing with Seba yesterday was playing most of the game with 10 men.

12. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Oh man. Tesillo in the box yesterday...same sensation.

13. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yeah man, I feel the same way. Perez wasn't particularly bad but he wasn't as influential as he needed to be, it was much better when Cuellar came on. We've totally regressed for some reason

14. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he's an awkward man when he needs to attack isn't he, fits in with the rest of the team at least

15. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I think he was particularly awful. always out of position and way too nervous. looked horribly slow in every play. The difference made by Cuellar was so obvious.

16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he did 2-3 slide tackles that could have gotten him kicked out of the game

17. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    It looked like a junior high school kid trying to play with adults. As much from a lack of confidence/conviction as ability - he didnt look like he knew what he was doing

kromekote repped this.
  18. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    yeah I don't disagree, definitely looked out of form and nervous for sure. The man is just totally out of shape, literally never plays and spent too much time injured. Its a shame, I used to love that guy

kromekote repped this.
  19. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I definitely see that

20. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #145 ryu79, Jun 21, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2021
    So I went full Clockwork Orange and made myself rewatch the highlights (lowlights?) of the game.

There is a total lack of seriousness in marking on both goals:

On the first, Cuadrado and Medina are right next to the ball, neither chases as the Peruvian player takes possession. No one comes up to challenge and Tesillo makes no effort to get up after misreading the rebound. Davinson makes a crazy sprint to challenge the shot, but Tesillo watches it from the floor dumbfounded.

On the own goal. It's a routine ball into the box - Medina has a beat on it. Only he completely misreads it, it goes past him and we are screwed. Because Medina looks he has it for an easy header, Borja STOPS running with his guy, who dives (more like awkwardly falls) into the ball which bounces off Yerry (who can't understand how the ball got anywhere near him) and into the goal. Cardona could have made a play on the first ball too but Medina shapes up well and he also is therefore taken out of the play.

21. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    You have any idea how ********ing retarded that would be? The world cup is next year and he needs to use his best players while blending in new ones.

22. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Dude, more specific then my post you won't find anywhere. I SAID that in the Copa we haven't beat them since 2001. what's not to understand? 20 years without a win against Peru and counting seems like a good statistic to you?

23. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    My thoughts about the game I posted it here if someone would like to read

https://colfootball.wordpress.com/2021/06/22/2021-copa-america-colombia-v-peru-analysis/

In general of course that it was our worst match under Rueda due to his horrible formation/starting lineup and I want to believe that he is just trying new things and players in different positions because I can't believe that he wouldn't understand what most of us understood at the beginning of the match: Zapata IS NOT a winger, Perez's days in the NT are over a while ago and Tesillo IS NOT a left-back.

24. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    I actually think we played worst vs Ecuador as technically we had a better 11 on the field and with very attempts at their goal. The rest is on
    point. It goes without saying that to this date (5th game with Rueda), I have no clue who our best starting 11 should be, since he's rotating the hell out of the lineup. Ospina, Barrios, Cuellar, Cardona and Uribe are probably the only guys I give high points for their consistency shown thus far.

After that it's anyone's guess. To your point, in the press conference, he mentioned he put in Morelos to be a winger and it didn't work. Didn't see the rationale there as well.

pibe10 repped this.
  25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    We lost because we once again were not efficient with our chances and they got a fortuitous bounce off of Mina into the goal.

Not much else to say.