Colombia vs Ecuador Copa America 2021 (June 13th)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Froboy69, Jun 12, 2021.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Absolutely ugly.

But we got the three points.

We are basically through to the next round unless we completely collapse which I do not expect.

2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Fabian

3. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And that's game. Good to have the 3 points but this was a very boring/concerning game for us.

Players like Cuadrado need a much needed break as fatigue is catching up...

dapip repped this.
  4. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I don't understand how he gets constantly disrespected by these managers, every time he plays he is a vital player for us and almost any game we don't play with him we seem to be a mess defending.

colombianballa91 and Azucarero repped this.
  5. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    King Barrios is the man, he should never be benched. He has more balls than the whole team combined

6. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    There's even someone in this very forum who dislikes him. Baffling.

villus, pepinointer, dapip and 1 other person repped this.
  7. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I bet its crzd

8. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    The ultimate warrior!

9. RafaLarios

RafaLarios Member+

Oct 2, 2009
    Medellín
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    3 points !

I think Rueda has enough minutes now to get. Competent lineup now.. I expect a better game next time... Well I hope :p

pepinointer repped this.
  10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Starters are starters. Barrios should start every game, and from all the other players that did not start against Argentina, only Murillo and Borja looked legit. Yeah Cardona scored a great goal, but for most of the game he was inconsequential.

Also, Rueda should gibe Cuadrado a breather; he’s our top player and there are so many injuries happening because the number of games played. I would not mind seeing him off the bench against Venezuela and Peru.

Finally, does anyone know if injured players can be replaced, or only those who test positive for Covid?

11. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    #111 ryu79, Jun 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2021
    That was awful. The starting formation in practice looked sensible on paper but that was hideous.

Ospina - 7 - Solid. Handled the two or three shots on goal well.

"Yairo" - 5 - I like him better further up the field, was fine marking though.

Mina - 7 - Won every header. Did much better with Valencia than he usually does.

Murillo - 5 - Didn't think about him much. That's good for a cb.

Munoz - 6 - didn't get red carded. One of few with a pulse.

Barrios - 7 - Our best player by a mile. This should be his spot always.

Uribe - 3 - Awful. Put the CBs under pressure constantly. Couldn't control the ball on one touch the whole night, broke up two of OUR counters.

Cardona - 3 - Gets a bonus point for the goal! Looks completely out of shape. If the idea was to make this game some kind of torture for James, I think Rueda succeeded. The idea you have to be '500%' to make this squad is a joke when you trot this guy out there in this shape. Play Campaz or start Diaz or Muriel or call up Carbonero or Moreno....

C4 - 4 - looked gassed from the first minute. Couldn't beat his man on pace and just played for the foul... And the arg refs were not biting.

Borrē - 4 - Completely invisible. Played simultaneously too deep and yet didn't break anything up or build anything either. Liked it more when he pressed a bit up front, but seemed uncomfortable/unsure what he was supposed to do.

Borja - 5 - Put in some effort, but was well contained.

Perez - 4 - people who play his position can't take this many touches to control the ball.

Duvan - 5 - At least, provided an outlet and took some pressure off the back line for stretches, but no one was near him. Looked exhausted.

Rueda - 5 - if this were CQ we'd be crucifying him. Played bizarrely conservative, only we weren't playing France or Belgium... I really think if he had subbed Borrē for another striker and replaced Cardona for anyone attacking we would have scored a second...

Furnaccio and dapip repped this.
  12. Jace

Jace Member

Oct 19, 2014
    Replacements only for covid. Colombia can call up one more player to replace Otero after he was excluded for Covid. So whether Yairo is out or not, we still have an open roster spot if necessary.

HomietheClown and dapip repped this.
  13. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    RafaLarios, Furnaccio, dapip and 2 others repped this.
  14. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I’m sorry them focusing on the players signing is just crazy awkward

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I do not think it was mentioned here but the way Borja just smoothly set up Cardona on a platter for his goal was so nice.
    Great assist and probably something they probably worked on in training to perfection.

Furnaccio repped this.
  16. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    I really hope Quintero can get into gear with all this James bullshit, we really need one of them at least and both would be ideal. Cardona isn't gonna cut it if we really want to compete at the highest levels, hopefully also Arias is back firing soon our fullbacks are gonna be really important if we want to play a 4-2-2, having Tesillo and Medina is going to really hamper our ability to control the midfield. The formation is dependent on having fullbacks who can overlap and cause the opposition to have to worry about their runs allowing our 2 wingers to fill in the middle and give us more control in the midfield, Tessilo and Medina are gonna give Cuadrado and Diaz freedom to get forward but that still leaves our 2 CM's too much space to cover in the middle.

colombianballa91 repped this.
  17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Arias' injury was so bad there is no telling if he is going to ever get back to the form he had last cycle.
    I hope he gets healthy though.

Left side worries me more obviously. I think Fabra could be the answer although he has looked a bit out of form and slow at Boca.

Just have to hope some youngster in Colombia appears out of nowhere.

18. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Haha James bullshit… let’s hope Quintero can grow up and stop making awful transfers or Reggeton albums :)

19. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yes, Rueda said they worked on it prior to the qualifiers. They just saw the opp to do it last night.

20. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agree. Otherwise you really need to go 3 in the back and play with wingbacks. It's what we have and we are forcing squares in round holes...

21. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah, and we had the advantage of the opposition not really having much information on how we will play and what our weaknesses will be, that advantage is already gone and teams will flood the midfield and dare Tesillo and Medina to carry the ball forward. The style we are currently playing is one that can be shut down with our squad without attacking creative fullbacks and two essentially wingers, the value of it will go down hugely to the point that I think we'll have to change or we'll suffer.

ryu79 and kromekote repped this.
  22. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Agreed. Rueda recognized and adjusted for that against Argentina. Last night he seemed terrified of Estupiñan and Valencia... Whole game plan once we scored was to keep them crossing from distance as he believed Mina would never let anything by....

23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Indeed.
    And from what I hear it never worked well in practice with inaccurate shots.
    Glad Cardona got it to work in a real match.:D

24. Tio Nicci

Tio Nicci Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Deportivo Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I've don't remember Sebas Perez being so slow on reactions and pace with the ball.

For me the teams defense was pretty Solid, aside form Daniel Munoz's blunders and Tesillo making the same type of fouls every game. I do agree, we need find that wing back, or experiment another central defender in that role.

Added Note: That Ecuadorian guys Incapie is really good.

25. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he just never plays and is another one who was always in the hospital.