Colombia Sub-20

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by Baal88, Apr 22, 2016.

1. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    In some ways yes. In theory if Uruguay can dominate them with possession we surely can since our style of game is more possession based than the Charruas.

On the other hand Uruguay have had struggles breaking down their defense for good shots. And they have a better way of creating chances than our team does from what I have seen in this tournament and qualifying.

It will come down to can we take advantage of dumb mistakes like we did against Poland or will we be the ones making the dumb mistakes like against Senegal.

2. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    what a joke.
    10-0!

crzdcolombian repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    New Zealand so close to equalizing.

4. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Jesus Uruguay has had 21 shots...only 6 on target but still.

5. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It is official. It will be the Kiwis on Sunday.

2-0 Uruguay.

6. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Mexico had a horrible tourney too. Panama has a chance and so does the US.

Froboy69 and HomietheClown repped this.
  7. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    But damn Erling Håland got perhaps the shittiest golden boot. Even worse than Kane in 2018. Unless he scores a few goals and makes it far.

8. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    don't worry, I'm sure Infantino will increase the field to 32 teams for next U20 WC, giving 1 addtl spot to Concacaf and thus allowing for the full globalization of futbol to finally reach the U20 category.

9. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    32 teams is fine. 48 is too many

What should happen is more knockout rounds

SA should get the same number as in SNT

But the half spot should prob be more of a play off group playing in a neutral space.

Concacaf with 4 is way way too many that region is a joke worst then Oceania this cup :)

10. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Do you have a reading comprehension problem?

Ya this, he has a lot of attributes that give him a very good chance at making the jump to being a good player for us. Just like I thought Duvan had a ton of attributes that were going to make him a very successful player which has come on leaps and bounds this season and just like I thought that Quintero should be starting for us in the World Cup because of his talent which showed up when he was arguably our best player in the World Cup.

I don't think Cucho is a savior, I do think that he is a very well rounded player for his age already and although players like Quintero had more pure talent they also had some big weaknesses that could hold them back (for Quintero they did). Cucho doesn't have really big weaknesses which is a good sign for a young player, skill/mentality/professionalism/athletic ability all seem to be there for him.

HomietheClown repped this.
  11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    No weaknesses. Misses 5 sitters against third rate team.

J-Mezzy, crzdcolombian and pepinointer repped this.
  12. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    ended up being 12. Lol

I saw the game, Honduras didn't do anything at all, players barely moving. Was like a game of FIFA on beginner.

I feel ok coming up against New Zealand

crzdcolombian and pepinointer repped this.
  13. Froboy69

Froboy69 Member+

Inter Milan
    Colombia
    Mar 25, 2011
    San Diego
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    USA advances in second place. Wonder if Panama will be able to pass as well.

14. Azucarero

Azucarero Member+

May 9, 2008
    I think Krome summarized the perception of this team pretty well: nobody had very high expectations for them going in after that awful Sudamericano. Several of us were enthusiastic after that win against Poland as they played well and appeared to rectify many flaws from the previous tournament. The Senegal match was a wake up call, but, really, who said anything about us even going far into this tournament?

To be honest, this is probably the first tournament I've ever seen Colombia play in--at any age level--where NOBODY discussed possible 2nd round opponents until the last match day of the opening round.

I think expectations have been very reasonably tempered so far...definitely on this forum (can't speak for the media in Colombia).

I mainly want to talk about your statistical outlook on the impact of this team. Really interesting topic.

I think you're mainly right. We'll see maybe 1 genuine star come out of this, the last and 2021's squad. Maybe. But, considering we're a country who's had maybe 4 genuine stars in our entire history...that's kind of a big deal, no?

That said, I think that's the wrong outlook when we think about all these youth tournaments--and I think the Fed is currently looking at it that way, too.

At any given point, the national team always consists of a minimum of 5 generations of sub 20, potentially selecting from 7 generations. If 2-3 from each generation becomes a legitimate, tenured Colombian international, that could mean our entire roster came through the menores system.

I realize that sounds kind of outlandish, but I just did a check on Uruguay: of the 23 selected to play in the Copa America, only 3 never played a major sub 20 tournament (technically 4, cuz Suarez wasn't loaned). There's really no reason that shouldn't be the case for us.

If anything, we need to care even more about these tournaments. We're not Brazil, where all our talents will get spotted, picked up, and bred by a European club by the time they're 17.

I don't think it's any coincidence that the most sub 20 alumni who've contributed to the senior national team in recent years come from the generations who qualified to the World Cup: '05, '11, '13, and, recently, '15. It's not just that these squads had more talent--I think they did--the bigger thing is that even lesser talented kids managed to get stints in Europe just because their sub 20 squads garnered some accolades. (I'm looking at you, Brayan Perea) This is what matters.

You said maybe 3-4 from this team will make the NT, but that's just going off history. This team has got some legitimately talented kids. They're just as talented as the '13 squad, they just don't have a true star like Juanfer at their disposition. (I agree, Cucho is nowhere near that level, as some people thought he might be) That said, it baffles me that Sinisterra didn't get a single start for Feyenoord last season after watching these 3 matches. The kid is damn promising. Perhaps having the privilege of training with such a club is the real source of this; perhaps if Colombia gets to the semis and he scores a couple gols, he might get loaned to a first division side that sees him as a starter next year.

Alvarado...that kid is a damn baller. However, Liverpool being Liverpool, I have high doubts that the kid ever plays a match in the premier league. But, if we keep getting further into the tournament, the genuine possibility of him retiring without ever playing first division futbol decreases dramatically.

The team has what it takes to go another couple rounds. Will they? Don't know. But I hope they do because it could mean far more for the NT than we can calculate.

Edit: This post got realllly long...

dapip repped this.
  15. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Alvarado's owned by Liverpool?

16. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Scored a hat trick in that game and scored at Real and Barca, you sure you want to go down that route?

17. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I thought it was a Arroyo...

villus, Doogs and pepinointer repped this.
  18. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    En serio dejemos de romantizar goles irrelevantes al madrid y al barcelona............y seguro hay jugadores mas mediocres que los han hecho de otras nacionalidades:

Bien por cucho que narco goles en su primera temporada..........pero en verdad ni que fuera imposible marcarles gol o que fuera raro.............no fue buen partido de el aparte de los goles que pueden ser fortuitos.

Edwin Congo

En el juego de vuelta de los octavos de final de la Copa del Rey, el delantero colombiano anotó el único gol de su equipo, el Levante, en la derrota 1-3 contra Barcelona. El 14 de enero del 2004 Congo marcó un gol, pero Iniesta, Saviola y Ronaldinho opacaron el tanto del colombiano

Harold Lozano

El volante del Valladolid sorprendió en el Camp Nou, pues ganaba el Barcelona con gol de Luis Enrique. Aquel 15 de mayo de 1995, Lozano marcó el tanto del empate a los 81 minutos.

Roger Martínez y su único gol con Villarreal

19 de mayo de 2018: Villarreal 2-2 Real Madrid
    En el corto paso del colombiano por el submarino amarillo (9 partidos, 8 en Liga), solo le marcó al Madrid…y el arquero era el hijo de Zidane.

dapip and Cruzifero repped this.
  19. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    People keep mentioning that he scored against real and barca, why is that so important? Is this a benchmark on how to evaluate talent now? Do you know how many nobodies have scored on those two throughout history, that sounds like some crap Colombian media keeps circulating so the casual fan could say how good he is instead of ignoring the fact he spent a huge chunk of the season on the bench on a relegated team.

dapip and pepinointer repped this.
  20. Cruzifero

Cruzifero Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Nu Jeru
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Also I disagree with the sentiment that this team doesn’t have talented players. I fully expect for Cuesta, Reyes, Alvarado, Balanta, Sinisterra and Ángulo to make the senior team in a 3-5 year span or least become respectable professionals. I don’t think that’s asking for too much.

I would’ve added Cucho to that list as well but I don’t want to offend the others since he’s such a rare and special talent.

Doogs and pepinointer repped this.
  21. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    It's not the end all be all by any means but playing in intimidating environments and keeping the nerves down to score is a good sign. His team is really bad, and the team itself organizationally was all over the place without a clear formation or ideas on how to play and especially attack. I don't think he's ready to be a superstar or anything but he's young and he can defend and dribble while still providing goals with good vision. He's a prospect, I think he's going to be a good player and he fits what I personally think you want in players for a system where you don't have players with significant weaknesses and forwards who can do more then score goals. Goal scoring is often the hardest skillset for young players to add to their game, and he's shown he has it but he still has work to do.

People disagree. It's cool, you have a different opinion no need to troll because someone has a different view of things then you do.

HomietheClown and Cruzifero repped this.
  22. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah he have big guts and good positioning...........important skills that if he developed he could become a player with importan career, but in the other aspects he needs to improve despite...he can be "versatile" and with personality to play in other sides of the field...........

Azucarero and dapip repped this.
  23. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    He dribbles well, he defends well, he plays physical and he has good vision. For a young player he has a mix that should allow him to play in places right away, which should help him develop and see the field a lot which should give him more opportunities to succeed is one of the biggest reasons I think he has a good chance to make it. He can fit into multiple formations, these are all good things since if he gets the right development and coaching he could play a position like a false 9 well which in the current game those type of players are hard to find with that combination of being able to drop deep and get on the ball as well as go in and play on the last line of defense.

Part of the reason I'm hyped about him is if he can get up to speed quickly playing a false 9 formation could really be great for us with players with the short and long range passing ability as James and Quintero who are some of the best at exploiting spaces with their passing range.

24. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    his driblling is 5.5 over 10 in this moment, his physical game is affected a lot of because his height unlickyly....he isnt super fast neither...........and he isnt like the genius of the area............

I dont knwo if he can fit in multiple formations...........is normal that young players plays in alot of positions until they find a position...happens more when the team that they play have needs..........

the good thing he have a career to improve

Azucarero and dapip repped this.
  25. villus

villus Member+

Jun 5, 2008
    Yeah at this point he does a lot of things well playing against older seasoned professionals but nothing that he's really great or elite at that you can hang your hat on. But he's ahead of the curve for many of those things for his age and is more well rounded then most players at that age. He still has a long way to go, but he's shown well in big occasions and the next game for the U-20's is a good chance for him to show what he can do against his own level, especially considering he's had some time to play with his teammates now.

Azucarero repped this.