Colombia Copa America 2019 (Brazil)

Discussion in 'Colombian National Team' started by kromekote, Dec 21, 2018.

1. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    que cuadrado siga de titular no tiene presentación

2. CalamityX18

CalamityX18 Member

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Jun 19, 2018
    I too have to wonder about pressure from elsewhere in regards to Falcao starting...

unless Duvan was on something extra the days before(cuz he did look like it when he came on), Duvan should've been out there to start vs Chile...

tactical error by CQ

3. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    +1

Correct my friend! This is just the beginning but I must say that I'm very pleased with Queiroz, much more than I thought I would be with him. BUT...we really can't compare. In fact, Pekerman's job was much harder as Pepino said because he didn't have they base CQ has today. Pekerman arranged it, with Pekerman in the first campaign it was the most enjoyable Colombia I've ever seen including El Pibe's era, and of course we did a wonderful and historic results. I do think by the way, that so far with CQ, we play better than what we played under Pekerman in the second campaign, who was less good.

But leaving that aside, at the end our goal is to win matches and titles and if we'll play well but won't win, it's worthless. There won't be a better opportunity to win international title than the 2020 Copa America. Our golden generation still at his prime (James, Davinson, Ospina, Barrios, Duvan) and playing at home. If it won't happen next year, I really don't know when it will. Queiroz has one year to prepare the team and it's a long time.

4. praxis.en

praxis.en Member

May 13, 2015
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Chiles defeat is really making colombia look bad.
    it seems like chile never really put a show as a top competing team. except us.

pibe10, CalamityX18, jay luis and 2 others repped this.
  5. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Cough much like england

I refuse to believe it’s a cultural thing or our player just shit their pants in WC 14, 18 when it mattered or this and the US copa America.

I blame the Chile copa America on 2 things. The team was just way way too confident. The players only talked about what dance celebrations they would preform. And pekerman sticking with Armero and Falcao. Maybe a few others who weren’t in good form. But 80% of that failure was the team was super amped up by the WC. But for me that was the start of the end of Pekerman.

The Chile match. The late bus, Rueda knowing the team and the coach leaving Falcao for so long hoping Duvan In 10
    Minutes would pull a W. Also his subs didn’t work at all.

6. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Must admit it’s tough watching this final knowing that this could have been us instead of Peru.

Kudos to Peru for getting this far regardless of what will be the final result. Despite being outclassed talent wise; they aren’t nervous or giving the game to Brazil. I even like their physicality

Just watching this Brazil team, they do all the simple things to control the game that I constantly post about - short quick passes into space and everyone is always moving.

It also helps that they have the best RB of the past 13 years and a few other world class players. This Everton kid really showed me a lot this copa - I’ll be interested to see how he holds in Europe

Plus Brazil’s mentality is very alpha dog. Ice in the veins and not willing to let anyone but themselves control the tempo.

Even when Peru scored that penalty, Brazil simply cranked it into another gear and quickly scored to regain control of the game again.

As I type this Gabriel Jesus just got a red. Let’s see how Brazil holds on now!!

CalamityX18 repped this.
  7. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    without really needing to step it up Brazil are vastly superior to Peru. Doesn't take a whole lot.

dapip repped this.
  8. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Deportivo Independiente Miraflores
    Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Universitario de Deportes
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Nobody was beating Brazil in their home. It doesn’t come down to our quality, but more how dominant Brazil are on their own turf.

9. kromekote

kromekote Member+

May 22, 2012
    Club:
    America de Cali
    ^^this. But Brazil still looked very beatable today. Neymar still has to be added to this bunch which will mean some disruption to this current squad. Everton is too similar to Neymar and Coutinho just doesnt have the confidence to finish plays. Arthur and Casemiro are a class ahead of the rest and made the difference. Kudos to a great tournament for Peru and showing 'face' in the final.

10. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They didn’t look good at all in this cup and very beatable..... Paraguay almost
    Knocked them out. You guys make it seem they beat everyone 5-0 or this is Ronaldihos Brazil

You guys are just like the euro teams who over hype them and Argentina

This cup was garbage. With shit VAR taking 5-10 minutes per call. The teams playing garbage football. These players all seem burned out. Hasn’t there been a cup every single summer for the past few years?

11. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    And? We went out without giving up a goal and having been one of the more attractive teams in the tournament.

We lost a game in pens, it happens.

dapip repped this.
  12. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Remember what I said in an earlier post - no one in the Colombia forum is allowed to criticize VAR :)

Yes there is a lot of fútbol being played every year. I wouldn’t call it “burned out” but fitness related although I felt our guys were in better shape this tournament than in 2015/2016 - you could tell in those tournaments our players were gassed or running with weights in their shorts LOL. If you’re a pro futbol player and can’t be inspired/motivated to play International competitions, then you don’t belong out there.

If you want to talk about “burn out” look at Messi. I didn’t really notice it until this past World Cup but man he looks like he does not want to be there. You can see the wheels spinning on what scrutiny he has to deal with next at the NT level. You can tell he bleeds FCB blue/red before he bleeds the blue and white of Argentina and i don’t blame him. Barca is what will keep him financially secure (no tax jokes please) for the rest of his life.

13. pibe10

pibe10 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 30, 2005
    Petach Tikva, Israel
    Club:
    Atletico Nacional
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    IMHO, Brazil is still, head and shoulders the top team in Conmebol; question is if they can find enough talent upfront to compete with the top Euro teams.

After them, I think that Uruguay and Colombia, despite not making the semifinals are very well positioned for the upcoming Copa and the qualifiers, with plenty of young talent and deep squads that can find spares at most positions.

Next you have Chile and Argentina, still capable of beating most Conmebol rivals, but without a clear plan and with aging stars. I think Argentina has more upside because of their depth, while Chile has not yet found somebody to step up after Medel, Vidal, Sanchez and Vargas fade.

In the following echelon, I'd put Peru and Venezuela, both limited teams but with the right coaching and with some young upcoming talent they can beat some of the favorites and possibly advance to the WC.

After them you'd find Ecuador and Paraguay, that can still win some games and maybe with a lot of luck fight for the 5th place in qualifiers, but that as of today, they are on the outside. And then we have our regional stepping mat, Bolivia.

CalamityX18 repped this.
  15. Furnaccio

Furnaccio Member+

Feb 19, 2008
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well done and very well written.

The low scores didn’t bother me that much - just reflective of how much of a conservative/defensive era we are in these days. Maybe if CQ played Duvan more, we’d be singing a different tune ;)

Argentina is in rebuild mode outside of Messi/Aguero. didn’t understand why Dibala was on bench for majority of tournament - was it injury related?

The VAR process needs to improve. While I’m all for it (for obvious reasons), if you have a room with 5 people looking at different angles, the head ref needs to find a quicker way to make the ultimate decision rather than jog across the field and kill 5 minutes of game time.

The pricy tickets was a bummer. So sad seeing that lower bowl empty in so many games. In wrestling, they sometimes lower the ticket prices at the gate or let in fans for free to give the illusion it is sold out.

Presentation is everything. UEFA euro marketing machine is light years ahead of Conmebol.

CalamityX18 and pibe10 repped this.
  16. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Brazil might look beatable, but when they play at home they aren't.

Let me put it this way, the best Colombia I've seen was 2013-2014. You were much better than Brazil. You still lost to them in their home even when they played the entire tournament looking very beatable.

Same goes for the Chileans who were also better. They still only drew them.

Nobody was beating Brazil I'm afraid. The only teams I can see win in Brazil are France and Germany. The rest don't stand a chance.

17. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Uruguay and Colombia are probably still better than us, even though we've made the final but Chile are closer to Paraguay than they are to us. They are simply not very good.

S tier - Brazil
    A tier - Uruguay, Colombia
    B tier - Argentina, Peru
    C tier - Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay, Venezuela
    D tier - Bolivia

Chile are perhaps between C and B but they haven't impressed me throughout this tournament.

pepinointer, CalamityX18 and dapip repped this.
  18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I checked the last 5 games for every team against a Conmebol opponent. This would be the table:

Brasil 11
    Colombia 11
    Uruguay 7
    Peru 7
    Argentina 7
    Venezuela 6
    Ecuador 4
    Chile 4
    Paraguay 2
    Bolivia 0

19. CalamityX18

CalamityX18 Member

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Jun 19, 2018
    Just saw an article about Tesillo getting death threats... poor guy.

20. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Wtf! He was great in the tournament.

21. ryu79

ryu79 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 17, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    INSIGHT!!!

22. Doogs

Doogs Member+

Dec 11, 2010
    Miami
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    personally not convinced by Peru at all.

crzdcolombian repped this.
  23. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They won 2 games? No way they are above Chile.

24. SiempreCrema

SiempreCrema Moderator
    Staff Member

Peru
    Feb 4, 2015
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Chile won only 2 games too!

dapip and pepinointer repped this.
  25. pepinointer

pepinointer Member+

Mar 12, 2007
    Santiago de Compostela
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    was an stupid than more that a real thread just say that he should be killed like escobar..........