Collina Sky Sports Special

Discussion in 'Referee' started by RedStar91, May 28, 2014.

1. RedStar91

RedStar91 Member+

Sep 7, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Sky Sports had a special with Collina before the Champions League Final where he, along with Gary Neville and Jamie Carragher, discuss and analyze among other things the AAR system, goal line technology, etc.

It's a great special that shows us how the AARs communicate with the referees and they show clips from this season's Champions League matches. Absolutely fascinating stuff.

Here is the link. It's a pretty big file to download or stream.

http://cloudyvideos.com/ul1m59sivsy4

Scrabbleship repped this.
  2. themaa

themaa Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks, I saw this aired a few weeks ago but didn't know where I could find a copy.

3. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    Hey, Pierre......wait.....wait.....

Does he discuss phantom calls ?

4. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    This is great, but I wish it was just him talking. Carragher, and especially Souness, drag down the quality a bit.

Also, is this a one off? If so, couldn't they have found something more important to talk about for 75 minutes than AARs? Imagine Collina talking for an hour on reckless vs SFP? It would be brilliant! You can still have all the positioning/communication elements that this show had, while talking about something that's relevant in a lot more games than the AAR system.

5. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I have a whole series of questions ready to go. :geek::geek:

6. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    anyone else having an issue with no sound? I tried both download and play while streaming, launches Real Player and shows video, but no sound.

7. Justin Z

Justin Z Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Club:
    Heart of Midlothian FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would say Realplayer is your first issue . . . Try downloading the Combined Community Codec Pack and be sure it also installs Media Player Classic.

8. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    That's the problem. RealPlayer is the cockroach of the internet world -- not even a nuclear blast could kill it.

9. Scrabbleship

Scrabbleship Member

May 24, 2012
    TIL RealPlayer is still around, let alone used by people.

code1390 repped this.
  10. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahh the 1990s are back again lol.

11. themaa

themaa Member

Oct 14, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone's having problems watching, just download VLC Media Player, that should take care of any video file or codec you can find, and it's cross-platform.

AremRed repped this.
  12. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    Just watched pieces of this (with a new video player!), At 56 minutes they show Messi being taken down right around the PA line. Collina explains that it's important not only for PK or not but because outside PA would be DOGSO and send off, but UEFA interpretation is if it's inside it's not DOGSO and it's a yellow because the PK is still a goal scoring opportunity.

Has anyone ever heard of that opionon/interpretation before?

Edit: they then clarify a bit (at least I think) that it's always a red card today, but maybe not later, seems like Collina back tracked when asked about the call being right.

13. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004

No. But it is fairly logical.

14. colman1860

colman1860 Member

Nov 13, 2012
    London, England
    That's not what he was saying. This was during a 10 minute segment they spent discussing possible changes to the "triple jeopardy" rule. Collina explained that one possibility being considered was that DOGSO inside the PA would only be a yellow card, as there was still an OGSO (the PK). DOGSO outside would remain red. Then they used this example to discuss that. He does make clear at some point that none of these hypotheticals apply to the laws as they are today.

15. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    :x3:
    Did he mention waving off good goals?:x3:

16. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    Just finished the video. This is phenomenal stuff. The recordings of the AAR-CR-AR communication are gold. Given that they didn't have a recording from the clip with the AAR on the left side of the goal, I am guessing they started recording all the communications some time after that.

1. I found it hilarious that AR2 in the Webb-Clattenburg communication initially started to say penalty before Clattenburg jumped in screaming defensive foul (which is weird wording but whatever). Then you hear AR2 jumping on the bandwagon and confirming "he's just pulled him over". Way to cover your ass AR2.

2. I liked when Collina busted out the stats on how many goal/no-goal decisions would require goal line technology to be more accurate than what an AAR could do. And he is absolutely correct about the AAR's offering more. Plus they are portable!

3. I thought it funny (like the recent thread) that Collina called Clattenburg out for his "unnecessary" run into the PA to judge foul/no foul and in/out of bounds. Although he did point to Clatts as a prime example of the athlete-referee.

17. AremRed

AremRed Member+

Sep 23, 2013
    I'm trying to find this video, anyone still got it?

18. TheDanish

TheDanish Red Card

Jul 18, 2015
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars