Colleges moving up to Division 1

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by masoccerscout, Jan 7, 2006.

1. masoccerscout

masoccerscout Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Springfield, MA.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Are there any college programs that will be moving into Division 1 Mens Soccer in the next year or two? I am guessing that there are a few but do not know the specific programs.

2. ButlerBob

ButlerBob Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2001
    Evanston, IL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    SIU Edwardsville has been talking about returning to D1 for either just soccer or all of their programs. But their hasn't been any new updates on their site.

3. shaggycat

shaggycat New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    USA
    University of Central Arkansas is moving up.

4. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    UC Davis is. IIRC, the Aggies will be joining the Big West with CSUB, Northridge and Irvine.

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.siue.edu/ATHLETIC/MSOC/2006/sked.html

Looks like 2006 will be at D-II

7. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. HectorM

HectorM Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Pittsburgh
    Presbyterian College is moving up to Div I and has been accepted into the Big South Conference for all sports, including Men's and Women's soccer. They'll begin league play in 2008.

9. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That one came out of nowhere:
    http://www.vmikeydets.com/article.asp?articleid=77556

Very interesting.

10. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Go Blue Hose! My new favorite nickname.

Their coach was an assistant at Furman when they were emerging as a national power in recruiting so he might - key word - be able to use those contacts to get some good players.

They're surrounded by of a bunch of established programs - Clemson, South Carolina, Furman plus Coastal over on the coast (Duh!) - so they'll have plenty of good local non-con games, and they should be able to sell that to aspiring players.

11. BobCrayBand

BobCrayBand New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Topeka, KS

Yep just like Wofford sells it to its recruits!

12. BobCrayBand

BobCrayBand New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Topeka, KS
    Here is the problem. None of the Blue Hoses games mean anything until 2011!

Coach, "So what are your goals"

Recruit, "To win the National Championship"

Coach, "That may be a bit too lofty"

Recruit, "My parents taught me to set high goals for myself"

Coach, "That is good except our program can't compete for a National Championship until after you graduate"

Recruit, click

Coach, "Hello"

13. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire

It could also go

Recruit: My parents taught me to set high goals for myself.

Coach: Look, ocean liners can turn more gracefully than you can, and you have a left foot that borders on physical handicap. The only national title you could ever win would be at the Special Olympics.

Recruit: But, but...

Coach: Do you think I'd be talking to you if a single contending program knew your phone number?

Recruit: Mommmmmm!

14. BobCrayBand

BobCrayBand New Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Topeka, KS
    Coach, "Alright guys give me 5 more sprints and when you want to quit focus on your goals and why we are doing them. We are doing this to WIN A NATIONAL CHAMPI- no thats not it, We are doing this to WIN A CONFERENCE CHAMPI- no thats not it. Why are we here?"

Player, " To have fun coach."

Coach, " That is right, forget the sprints let's head in."

15. HectorM

HectorM Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Pittsburgh
    "And forget winning the National Championship Trophy, son - you'd have trouble just marking the National Championship Trophy."

What astonished me was the size of the student body: 1200 total men and women is a small Div III school most places. Unless they have their sights set on becoming the Protestant version of Notre Dame, this would seem to be a tall order

But can someone explain why, even though they'll begin competing in the conference in 2008 they won't be considered Div I until 2011?.

16. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. AbsolutGold

AbsolutGold New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Happy Valley
  18. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thay only have one home match against D-II Midwestern State. I guess this is what happens to new teams without a conference affiliation. I made the statement that it looks like they will join the MVC, they do play all of the MVC teams, but all are away. In addition they play quite a few of the Mid-Con teams.

19. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Judging by the schedule, it looks that way, but there's no mention on the MVC website of their admission. They're not listed as either a member of the MVC or as one of their "soccer affiliates," which is how they classify Eastern Illinois, Western Kentucky, and Vanderbilt. Anyway, pretty tough schedule for Central Arkansas, there.

http://www.mvc-sports.com/msoccer/

21. Beantowner

Beantowner Member

Aug 19, 2005
    HK / Shanghai / NY
    Club:
    New York City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    More evidence almost any school can call itself a Division 1 program now. Whether they are legitimate or can successfully compete is an entirely different matter.

22. Daryl

Daryl New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    I believe this is a trial year for the MVC conference - including a vote this winter by conference schools to accept them as a soccer affiliate. When Vanderbilt dropped their program, it had to leave a lot of MVC coaches looking for an opponent to fill that spot. If you're UCA and wanting to win favor with MVC coaches agreeing to fill the Vanderbilt spot and agreeing to travel would be a logical first step.

23. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The MVC is a better conference hands down than the other choice, MCC. With Valpo leaving for the Horizon, the MCC is going to be out looking for another team to keep is automatic bid.

24. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. finalball

finalball New Member

Jan 17, 2006
    The A-Sun and Big South should just combine to form a 16 team conference. Play a North/South or East/West type schedule (see Big east) The major schools are positioning themsleves that way.

In 10 years, there will be 4 super conferences in the country with 16 teams each. 64 major schools (they are all (mid-majors) scrambling now for position) They will play football, basketball and maybe baseball and the rest of the sports will be clubs. The BCS or whatever it will be in 10 years will offer so much money these schools will not need the NCAA or federal funding.

The a-sun and big south could start the trend earlier for smaller schools.