College Soccer News PreSeason All American Team.

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by soccertom, Aug 17, 2006.

1. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
  2. wingzero13

wingzero13 New Member

May 13, 2004
    Denver, CO
    its nice to see sdsu's tally hall make the first team. he was excellent last year. if he had ucla's defense in front of him i think he would've ended up as the PAC-10's top keeper. SDSU's respectable finish last year was mostly due to his performance in the net.

guppy, seitz, sandbo i think could've made this list.

3. osteng2

osteng2 New Member

Sep 13, 2004
  4. osteng2

osteng2 New Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Add Creighton,Cal,St. John's, ODU, Cal State Northridge, Santa Clara, Wisc Mil, and Ohio State to that list.

5. EveryDayIDo

EveryDayIDo New Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Speaking of Santa Clara....I can't believe Peter Lowry didn't make any of the teams. Phenomenal player.

6. futbolisgood

futbolisgood New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    I agree that there are several players who may have a good argument for being on this list, Dane Richards among others mentioned.

7. AbsolutGold

AbsolutGold New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Happy Valley
    you have to realize these lists are comprised a lot based off last year...I'm not surprised about the lack of UMD, IU players and the other schools mentioned...Robbie Rogers would have been on the list but his departure hurts. Seitz easily could have been on the list but the ones selected also have well established reputations...i looked at last years lists from CSN from preseason to post season.

Of the 33 players selected in their Preseason All-Americans list 16 were on their end of the year All-American list and of those 7 were on the same team they had been selected to in Preseason....4 from 1st team, 1 2nd teamer and 2 3rd teamers....

So take this for what its worth...there are going to be plenty on the list at the end of the year that aint there now...its more for a entertainment value...to me there is no point to pick preseason all-americans unless to entertain yourself to see how right you can be...might as well be a list of players likely to have successful seasons.

just my opinion on the matter

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Everyone is entitled to an opinion, including the guy at CollegeSoccerNews.

It will be interesting, to say the least, to compare this list to the AA lists at the end of the season. I suspect there will be "a few" names on that list that aren't on this one.

9. jmsdoc

jmsdoc Member

Jun 25, 2000
    The Valley
    That's too easy, Sandon...we expect more...such as the percentage change between the pre and post AA lists over the past 10 years. Also which teams/conferences historically have more players on the pre vs post AA lists. (That is unless your research dept is sunning on the beach this week).

10. aquick97

aquick97 New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Of all the Terps, I think Maurice Edu could make a case for A-A.

11. futbolisgood

futbolisgood New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    Agreed.

12. rosscoe_9

rosscoe_9 New Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Tulsa
    Seitz from Maryland and Bush from Akron were two of the best keepers last year but they didnt get the recognition that they deserved... maybe it was because they were freshmen - i dont know.

This year though they both should have been in one team or the other.

13. AbsolutGold

AbsolutGold New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Happy Valley
    Not disagreeing with your point on Seitz and Bush but Marfuggi and Hall were on CSN's All-American teams last year so they obviously would preseason pick them this year, and then they chose to go with Reed over Seitz or Bush.

I don't really get their logic on this one, because the only arguement that seems to make sense would be to say that they (the writers who composed this list) believed UCLA would have a better year and thus Reed would be playing better but they have UMD ranked 1 and I believe Akron at 7 while they have UCLA ranked 8th. So I'm not sure how they thought this one out.

Again things will change, players will be injured and these lists will look significantly different at the end of the year.

As far as Edu is concerned...I have seen him play for maryland on a couple occassions and he definetly has the tools to make a run at A-A but his numbers froms last year I don't think were good enough to garner him a preseason selection in the eyes of the writers of this list

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Dude, there are no "writers" of this list. CollegeSoccerNews.com is actually one dude in Florida.

He is as much of an authority on college soccer as most of us on BS, he just happens to publicize his opinions on his own site, with an authoritative name, as oppposed to here on BS.

That's not to say he's wrong, just that CSN isn't actually a news organization, but rather one guys blog.

As for Edu, I think he warrants AA condsideration for this stat: No. 1.

He's a D-mid, they don't usually have great offensive stats. But he got the stat that mattered, a national championship.