College Football 2007

Discussion in 'Football' started by Footer Phooter, Sep 1, 2007.

1. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Add to that an Indians victory in BeanTown and I really don't remember much of last night. Sooooooo much beer.....

2. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that means you did it right ;)

3. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    good god almighty

this is one nutty college football season

just imagine the undefeateds at the end of the year:

arizona state
    ohio state
    south florida
    kansas (yes, kansas)
    hawaii

4. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    LOL.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    a) Easy on the denigration of conference brethren. Most of us in the ACC prefer to keep it kosher in-house, save for the Duke-UNC thing. There will always be personal exceptions but for the most part we protect our own.

b) After the Gator it's not where you finish but the conference (or overall?) record. Remember, apart from the two championship game contestants the bowls are free to select who they want. The only exception to that is that you cannot select a team if another team has a conference record 2 games better. ie: The Peach can't pick a 5-3 team if there is a 7-1 team still on the board. This was enacted to prevent a good team from slipping too far simply because the bowls want the closer, larger school. (as in what sent BC to Boise 2 years ago.)

BCS = Champ game winner
    Peach = Champ game runner up or team with next best record
    Gator = Champ game runner up or 3rd selection
    Champs Sports = 4th selection
    Emerald = 5th
    Music City = 6th
    Meinike = 7th
    MPC Computers = 8th

6. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    You can dig this one's grave right now.

He ain't going anywhere. Ole Miss is not a high-profile, high-pressure program. They'll be happy if he averages 6.5 wins.

Price should be willing- after all, he did leave Wazoo for Alabama. Without that skank going public on him, he'd be there still.

7. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Happy? They would be ecstatic if he could get the program to average 6.5 wins a year.

So far under Coach O:
    2005: 3-8 (1-7)
    2006: 4-8 (2-6)
    2007: 2-5 (0-4)
    Total: 9-21 (3-17)

To be fair, he had several close losses in 2006 and I don't think that 2.5 years is enough time to judge his Ole Miss career. Reportedly, he is a good recruiter. I think that they will give him at least through the 2008 season to show some progress in the football program.

8. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Huh. I didn't know they'd been that bad.

He was for USC, and a damn good DC to boot. I cannot forgive him or Norm Chow for leaving. Chow's still not a HC, and Orgeron isn't a winning HC.

They need to give him a lot longer than that- UIM, Ole Miss hasn't won an SEC title since Johnny Vaught was the coach. There are some SEC programs that will never amount to much, no matter who coaches them. Vanderbilt, Ole Miss and Mississippi State have one SEC West title between them all, and no SEC titles in the recent past. Kentucky is going to land with a thud somewhere around second or third in the East, which for them will be cause for celebration. Arkansas has managed to win the West twice during down years for LSU, but I don't know that they've ever won the SEC.

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I don't think Vandy will be winning any West titles any time soon either. Unless, of course, they switch divisions. ;)

Don't worry, we get what you're saying and you're essentially right.

10. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    the so called 'year of the upset' didn't seem like an upset tonight

i saw it coming, i still think usf is going to win the big east, but ray rice would not let his team down tonight on thursday night in front of the entire national college football crowd

next week: time for another unbeaten to bite the primoridial dust

go hokies!!

11. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If USF had won and run the table, there would've been 2 NBE teams in the BCS.

Guess not.

12. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will finally shut the johnny-come-lately's "fans" up. Funny, people were acting like they'd been cheering for that school their whole lives. I guess they can pull the Miami and FSU hats back out of the closet now.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    They have been. Granted, they're all of, what, 17 years old and have no sense of history. But precedence and experience matters little when your mantra is entitlement. :cool: :rolleyes:

14. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    WVU and Auburn not making offensive adjustments to get ballcarriers past the USF front four is an upset. Last night was simply reality staying involved.

USF is good but only get their lofty ranking due to everyone else's deficiencies. (The nature of CFB and the reason the regular season is so critical.) It'll be big for the program if they can sustain this run for another year, through another generation of players and coaches, and continue to draw 40k+ when they struggle.

15. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In other South Florida news, USF announced yesterday that Dr. Karen Holbrook, the woman who single-handedly destroyed the tailgating atmosphere at The Ohio State University, would be joining the university as the Vice President of Research and Innovation. Have fun if she gets anywhere near the Athletic Department.

16. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Maybe she can help them do some research into college football lore and find something more innovative for their students to do than mimic the Texas longhorn symbol. :rolleyes:

17. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Horrid. That would never, ever happen at an SEC program. And I'm no SEC fanboy at all, just being honest. What, exactly, did she do?

18. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Outlawed open containers, including anything poured into cups (how we normally get around that law) in any parking lot on university property, made the fine over $100 ,and instructed University Police to be very strict in the enforcement of the rule.

19. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    oklahoma

i dont see why they are constantly talked about as being so good

they almost lost to iowa state, and destroyed a mediocre miami team, and lost to a mediocre colorado team

kansas

underrated, haven't reached the meat of their schedule, but are undefeated, and they beat the mediocre colorado team

why is oklahoma 4, and kansas much lower than 4? wtf is up with pollsters? and someone didn't even put virginia tech in the top 25, what the hell?

20. canesfan00

canesfan00 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Miami
    Great weekend of college football, as it had been all season long, but really great for me. UM was able to beat the Seminoles and keep their slim BCS title hopes alive. More importantly though, I thrilled that the game was entertaining from beginning to end. I know that this rivalary has lost its appeal to the majority of college football fans, but I hope this is a sign that this game returns to one of the top rivalaries again. Hope everyone's teams had a good weekend.

21. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Sounds like she needs to be at another kind of school.

22. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i just scored a free ticket to the PSU/OSU game this saturday, right on the goal line- 11 rows from the field

sweet!

23. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You must be thrilled. Is this the biggest play in BC's history since Flutie's bomb?

25. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gordon's kick in 93 was pretty big as well.

Still 4 games to go, and I'm going to College Park in 2 weeks, and then up to school for the Miami game.