College Football 2007

Discussion in 'Football' started by Footer Phooter, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why? Because they tied Italy?

Look, if you're willing to drop Michigan out of the Top 25 (deservedly so) for losing to a 1AA school, then PSU should fall all the way out for losing that Michigan team. It's pretty simple logic. Unless, of course, you're a Penn State slappy. Then you'll see your ineptitude in that game as a fluke. And then you'll have to see Michigan's opening games against Appl State and Oregon as flukes. It's one or the other.

2. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as neither is #10, I'm cool.

3. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Not necessarily. UM was the HEAVY favorite over ASU. By losing the way they did suggested they were far from what people expected at the time and it wasn't far fetched to think there might be 25 other teams around the country better than the Wolverines. The reaction was understandable at that time, especially if the rankings are based on current performance and not a prediction of where teams will end up.

Now come to this past week. After the other performances and a realization of Oregon's abilities it's clear to see UM isn't exactly crap, they've had time to repair the flaws that lead to the ASU collapse, and like all big programs they'll get extra nods for playing at home. Easily fewer than 25 teams would be picked to visit Ann Arbor and win, and in the end it's not as if PSU was blown out. Thus, while I can see why some people would want to drop PSU from the top-25 it's just as easy to say PSU did as well as at least 96 other 1-A teams. Transitive relationships don't work here, or else Wofford would now deserve to be ranked! ;)

IMO, anyway.

4. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'm not so sure this should have been listed as such an upset. The national champion 1-AA in any given year is probably better than 75% of the 1-A teams in existence. Ap St should have expected to keep the score close at the very least, and win with only a few breaks.

5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Again, that depends on time and place. If everyone knew then that Michigan was as meager as is being realized now, then no it wouldn't have been much of an upset. But going into the game Michigan was still "MICHIGAN," a top five/ten team with national title aspirations and a home win streak against AA and weaker A sides as long as their tradition. They literally had more athletes and they were supposed to be better man-to-man in every way save maybe 1-2 positions.

ASU beating Minnesota? Not so much an upset. ASU winning in the Big House with Michigan touting such talent? Let's just say there's a reason people are referring to it as possibly the biggest upset of all time.

6. canesfan00

canesfan00 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Miami

Well I have the privilege of communicating with a wise yellowjacket fan. I look forward to an entertaining game on the 13th, as we try to get a rivilary going with you guys.

The chance of UM being like USC is hard to grasp at this particular moment. Dare I say, but I look to USC as our modern day dynasty or early 2000's UM teams. They have a favorable conference schedule, they get 5-star recruits year in and year out, and Pete Carroll is a great college coach.

Like you pointed out it's difficult to have city to support a private school when the majority of the city dwellers didn't even go there, too many damn gator fans down here. Even if an on-campus stadium were possible, we don't have the loyal fan base to support it, just look at our pro teams attendance. Also like you pointed out financially things aren't as rosy compared to state funded UF and FSU, in fact that was one of the main reasons why we went to the ACC back in 04'. I did some research for a paper back when UM when their last chip in 01' and the financial figures by them just being in the Big East actually had them losing 1 million dollars when it was all said and done.

As for recruiting, in the last couple of years I solely blame our lack of prospects on Larry Coker's inability to find talent, just look at our team the last few seasons. With Randy Shannon at the helm I feel confident in his ability to find talent and am thrilled already with our incoming prospects for next season. I think it's fair to say that Tech gets their fair share of recruits or am I wrong? Do you get Georgia and Florida's left overs? Please fill me in.

Lastly, your Gunners are sitting pretty at the top of the league. How's the view from up there and what are your thoughts on Chelsea's drama?

7. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    actually.. as a penn state fan.. im surprised this is the first time this season that everyone sees we have absolute crap for offense :)

8. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So as to preserve the thread, check your PM.

9. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Long-suffering BC fans are well aware of Tom O'Brien's statements about the recruiting problems he faced in Boston.

The coach blamed his inability to secure top-notch athletes on two factors: the school's high academic standards, and Bostonians' obsession with professional sports.

This made Boston less attractive than, say, North Carolina?

BC is a few miles outside of one of the most vibrant student-friendly cities in the country. The football program's only drawback is the "just don't lose" mentality, incubated by O'Brien, that saw winning become secondary to conservative playcalling and prevent defenses.

O'Brien's references to recruiting interference fail to account for ten years of mediocre performances. O'Brien's teams consistently played down to their competition instead of stepping up when it mattered.

Thankfully, Saturday's game at Army indicates things have changed for the Eagles.

The scenario was a familiar one: a service academy, painfully deliberate, intelligent, athletic, overmatched...and hard to blow out.

From the looks of it, though, the new coaching staff alerted the Eagles that they just might be "playing down"—and by God they changed!
    Imagine that—the team turned an aggressive, play-to-win mindset into a convincing victory.

The "Next Level," so elusive for ten years at Chestnut Hill, has again become part of the discussion in Boston. As for NC State—have fun in Boise, or Sacramento, or wherever else O'Brien leads you.

Just remember that winning can be habit-forming AND contagious AND fun.

But someone has to be willing to stick his neck out and take a chance.

http://www.bleacherreport.com/artic..._Football_-Be_careful_what_you_ask_for-250907

10. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone think that they wouldn't want to be in the defensive team meetings for either Wisconsin or Michigan State after this game?

11. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    See Rutgers? This is what happens when you play someone who doesn't totally suck.

12. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Along with:
    Oklahoma
    West Virginia
    Texas
    Clemson
    Penn State

Hell of an upset weekend so far. Would love to see USC and Florida join the losers club tonight.

13. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1 out of 2 ain't bad ;)

14. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry Matt In The Hat.

15. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It happens. Good news is that the entire Big East is up for grabs now.

16. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mets too.

17. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, the Giants won. So it was like getting kicked in the balls but getting bought a beer afterwards.

18. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't think USF should've moved that far up in the AP.

19. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think mid teens would be appropriate

20. DCSharksFC

DCSharksFC Member

Feb 28, 2003
    Virginia Tech
    everyone please put your hearts out for DL taylor bradford of memphis

i'm surprised as hell they're still going to play, but man, that is some shit and a half

21. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being from Memphis and having a brother that played football at UM, that campus is in a crap part of town. No way would I let my kids go to school there.

22. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Big weekend, kids!!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Soccerplay333

Soccerplay333 New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    alliu23 nice video and gratz!

24. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bye-Bye Wisconsin. Illinois 31, Wisconsin 26.

This Illinois team is dangerous if you can't stop the run. Make them throw the ball and they're nothing.

25. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Buh-bye USC

[​IMG]