College Football 2007

Discussion in 'Football' started by Footer Phooter, Sep 1, 2007.

1. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It was announced officially today that the game is on CBS at the 3:30. I'm glad, I'd rather play LSU during the day than at night.

I'm so pumped for next Saturday.

2. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    UCLA needs to get rid of Carl Dorrell, they're not going anywhere with him. He's boring and obviously he's not motivating the team after that a** kicking they took from UTAH :eek: yesterday. It's not all Dorrell's fault, but they're never going to get to a BCS game with him as the head coach. I was surprised when he got the job in the first place. Good guy, but unless Bruin fans are satisfied with going to the freakin' Sun Bowl every year, they need to get rid of him.

3. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
  5. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    First off, nice job by BC. Logan and Ryan did two things extremely well to succeed offensively: Get passes off quickly to diffuse the impact of the rush, and, as you implied, pick on mismatches against the cornerbacks. Tech had one starting back out and lost the other in the first half.

A couple local sports talk guys hinted at the same about Bennet needing to be able to win games when Choice is being loaded on. While I don't think it was much his fault, he certainly didn't show magical talent suggesting he can rise above certain situations. What hurt Tech was the absence of a Plan B, a classic symptom of Gailey-coached teams. That BC would try to stop Choice first was a given, so Tech should've had a viable strategy for getting other players involved. Like play action to the TE, a reverse, etc. Something to give the defense reason to pause. Instead, Tech continued it's offensive brilliance by trying conventional pass plays to receivers on the side. (Almost never across the middle)

Same goes for defense. Tenuta needs to develop a plan for schemes when opposing offenses can diffuse the rush or for when Plan A simply isn't working. Especially when the corners are weak. Fake the rush and keep more players back. Be sure to help the weak side cover man. Alas, Tech wins and loses by virtue of their players being able to employ their game.

Didn't help that Tech had 100 yards in penalties either. Ugh.

Matt Ryan is one smooth QB. I expect to see him playing on Sundays.

Don't know as I haven't been able to attend a home game since '05. Tech has security guards with a decent rep for reigning in trouble makers, but as I've hinted at before, there's some in every sports lot.

Hell hath no fury like a nerd perturbed, I guess. :p

6. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GriffGunner-

I see what you're sayin. Bennett had too many passes behind the intended reciever, short-hopped etc. Some drives would've been extended had he made those.

With respect to the blitzing, I've seen that before. Against Miami QBs of old and McNabb, we had to bring the house to get at the QB, but then there would always be an outlet receiver wide open catching the ball and extending the drive.

Our defensive philosophy has been the same, have the dline stay sturdy and stop the run, and force them to throw into our soft cover 2, with 6-7 guys in coverage. The QB would rack up serious yards, but with a shorter field in the red zone, it would be increasingly difficult to dink and dunk.

I'm just happy that we have Jagz and Logan rather than TOB and Dana Bible. I feel bad for NC State. They don't know what they're in for with respect to gameday coaching on offense. Great talent evaluator and all, always respected him for that. But damn that vanilla play-calling was downright infuriating for 10 yrs. Had TOB coached the game on Sat, you'd be still hungover celebrating a W.

Good luck the rest of the way.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    It's Karl. And they beat USC with him last season :mad: How many other coaches can say that?

One.

UCLA is a basketball school. They ain't going to all that many B(C)S bowls, period.

8. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's wrong with El Paso?

9. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    flip, don't be too tough on TOB. He's a far sight better than many alternatives and I suspect he'll at least surpass whatever Chuck Amato could've done at NCSU. I regret how he treated BC, though and hope Jagz does prove the missing piece to your puzzle. Two questions: 1) What will BC need to evolve to that next level of programs? (55k plus fans, bigger pull with local media, etc.) 2) Do you think Logan will be a target for Syracuse as a replacement for Robinson, who appears in over his head?

10. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He certainly has no problem getting at the very least decent recruits no matter where he goes. I will always give him that. He and his talent evaluators were always pretty frickin good with that. All you have to do is watch them on game day, when it's a 4th and 1 type of situation or something. Definitely hair-pulling. NC St fans will also find out some other things that will drive them batty.

1) Actually stadium is fine for the moment. They've just instituted a DBS program for seating in the football stadium. It rankled some, but others understood perfectly. There's only 140k + living alumni, and we are definitely spread out. Not all of us live in New England, NYC, Philly or DC. As long as the Red Sawx and Tom Brady grab the headlines, we'll be #3 in Beantown for the near forseeable future. However, after Saturday, some of the Boston media are pleasantly surprised that Ryan and the team are doing well. I suppose, just like everywhere else, everyone loves a winner.

2) Logan admitted, during his highly-popular radio show in NC, that he isn't all that amped to be a HC again. When people asked about him taking the BC OC job, he said that if we came to him with the right kind of $$$ deal, he'd stick around. I think that he's an amazing mind when it comes to offense, but as a HC, he's not that great, cuz he is not that concerned with defense. You know his quote "On my tombstone, they will say 'He scored 61...and lost.'" I like Logan a lot. He's got balls, he's developed 4 good QBs at ECU and NFL Europa, and he's working with another.

With the team, it's just a question of taking the right risks. That was TOB's problem, he had a "make ZERO mistakes" attitude on offense, and that put a bunch of pressure on the defense and special teams/field position people. Opposing teams weren't kept honest with the vanilla play calling, so they teed off on our offense, stacking the box and we'd get 2 yds/carry. Very predictable and essentially very boring. That's why we ended up 7-9 wins in a 12 game season or 10 wins in 13 game season.

Jagz definitely gives a bunch of people excitement. I feel like General Coughlin's back on the sidelines...well at least his play-book/play-calling. This time around, our defense can sometimes stop people.

[/crosses fingers]

11. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Yeah so it's good to lose all games (even against teams like Utah) as long as you beat USC. I love when the Bruins beat the University of South Central (USC) but the team has to aim higher that that. Just because UCLA is a basketball school doesn't mean they can't be good at football, just look at Florida.

Karl Dorrell, excuse my ignorance.

12. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone catch that bogus ending to UConn-Temple? I heard about it only. Temple almost won, but the refs f***ed up the call.

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yep. Apparently the refs needed death-sentence-worthy evidence to confirm the receiver's foot wasn't millimeters off the ground. :rolleyes: I can see why the call was missed on the field, but the replays showed the catch and the step. Alas, since it was Temple and UConn has the more wealthy supporters... :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG8Foe1-HoE

Which begs the question: Does anyone think Temple can be a competitive program? They really seem a cash-poor urban school, land locked in a depressed neighborhood and ill-equipped to capture the hearts of the community. I'd love for them to have some ace facilities and to try to re-energize the campus, but that'd be such a tall order.

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Now this cracks me up. Repped!

Dude, Florida is in the SEC. SEC schools not named Vanderbilt are nothing more than athletic programs offering degrees that can be used to gain employment... within the state. You want to see that in the Big Ten and Pac-10?

No biggie- I know only because I watch a lot of ESPN, and saw it in print.

15. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    You're right, like Jimmy Johnson said when he was coaching the Miami Hurricanes, "If you're comming to school for the academics, then you should've gone to Stanford", or something like that.

16. canesfan00

canesfan00 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Miami
    Impressive victory by the Miami Hurricanes. Hopefully this will get things rolling for them as well as the other teams in the ACC against non-conference schools. Even though it may not look like it, but maybe this is the year that the ACC proves it's the 2nd best conference in the nation.

17. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Uh... Much as I'd love that to be the case I'm not going to drink the kool-aid just yet. Too many of the middling clubs are struggling against other middling clubs. Still plenty of opportunities to make that case.. or continue to struggle with ooc games remaining against teams like Bama, USF, Rutgers, UConn... Not to mention the annual rivalry games in FL, SC and GA. It'd be great if Clemson, FSU, Tech and BC finish the season undefeated out of conference.

What's your take on the move to Dolphin Stadium?

18. canesfan00

canesfan00 New Member

Apr 1, 2007
    Miami
    You make some valid points and you may be right, but if you just look at last season no one would have predicted the conference title game of Georgia Tech vs Wake Forest. Lol, just another point as to how useless preseason rankings and predictions are. But I think that the wheels are in motion.

As for the move, I shed a tear as one of college football's meccas will be vacant after this season. I fully understand the reasoning for it and I just hope we can have continued success in our new home.

Out of curiosity who's your team?

19. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So will Penn State fall out of the top 25? Seems only fair, right.

20. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When did Penn State lose to Appalachian?

21. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By proxy. Get it?

22. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Georgia Tech grad twice over.

It'll be tough seeing the Canes in a different atmosphere, to be sure, I just hope the school finds a way to engage the public. As a mid-sized private school with a lot of students and alumni from outside the area, The U has a tougher wall to climb in garnering consistent local support a la USC. It would help the school tremendously if the medical campus and main campus were combined or much closer, I feel, or if the school could ever grow to some 20k students, with most living on campus. I know they're in the final throes of a $1B fund raising campaign but to my knowledge none of that is earmarked for growing the footprint of the campus. Don't get me wrong, just as with Tech I'd rather the school focus on their academic priorities as they should. But it will be that much tougher for schools like Miami, BC and Tech to compete for recruits and fans as more and more of the larger public schools (USF, UCF, UConn...) get heavy into the 1-A football game.

23. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's purely up to the coaching staff. If you have a boring offense, you won't be getting that many good dynamic gamebreaking recruits. I've seen both sides of this, and the grass is greener on JaGODzinski's side. Honest.

Went to Bama for the Georgia-Bama game. Amazing time, even bought a Houndstooth Bama hat! :)

24. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does that mean that the US is Co-winner of the World Cup then?

25. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Believe me, as an ACC fan I know all about the impact of coaches, good and, especially right now, bad. Bunting, Amato, Coker, Roof and Gailey is no where near the levels of Richt, Miles, Mayer and Tuberville.

But the popularity of the sport is growing and the prevailing trait among the next generation powers is larger schools with a sizable built-in fanbase. Ohio State is popular for TV not because they play amazing ball but because the school has 50k students and millions of alumni. Ditto Texas, PSU, UF, etc. USF has a history as long as this message board, but at 30k plus students they're able to turn their early success into becoming a very marketable property to TV over, say, TCU (8k students). And school/alumni size has a lot to do with why places like Rutgers (40k) and UConn have potential while established programs like SMU and Rice are projected as terminal wannabes.

This isn't to say school size is the only or most critical factor in winning games or recruits. I've a whole matrix of information on D1 schools that shows it's but one part. However, as college football evolves those schools with a ready-made path to filled stadiums, sold merchandise and TV appeal will be the ones with more alumni and resources to call upon. Of all the schools investigating or working on plans to pursue D1 football, most of them are over 18k in undergrad enrollment. After all, if Georgia State can realistically think about football...

- 5 life points for Flip. ;)