College Football 2007

Discussion in 'Football' started by Footer Phooter, Sep 1, 2007.

1. CyberAce100

CyberAce100 Member+

Jul 4, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'ts nice to see Michigan getting their a*ses kicked once again in the "Little House". Is this the end of Lloyd Carr?

2. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be more than happy to get the mass suicide list ready to go for the Michigan fans here :D

3. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    They'll let him finish the season, but he's done. UM will still beat Notre Dame next week.

4. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    It has to be - their fans have to be thankful they play a terrible ND team next week that has no offense.

But then they have to travel to Penn State - for a night game I assume? They are gonna be 1-3.

5. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was more taking jabs at other colleges (i.e. UGA, located in athens, and Clemson, obviously located in Clemson) I really don't think any other southern states contain more rednecks than any other. Any time you get into a rural area (north, south, east, or west) you're going to have simpler, sometimes less-intelligent folk. It's just the way it is.

Btw, that doesn't make them less of a person than you (speaking more to the So. Cal guy, not you footer). There are some nice people who live in trailers (seriously).

Btw, footer phooter, my dad's from Yorktown orginally. What part of Virginia are you in? (sorry, I don't know my VA geography that well).

On another note. The Cocks beat number 11 Georgia tonight at UGA. WOO-HOO!

6. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    nah.. we are at Michigan

7. garnet&blackattack

garnet&blackattack New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    Columbia, SC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez. VT is getting raped tonight. I hate to see that, because I HATE LSU (2nd only to UGA for most obnoxious fans).

8. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Doesnt matter - the "Big House" is the "Little House" these days...

Seems opponents look forward to going in there and winning games.

9. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    after losing there 2 years ago with 2 seconds left to wreck our undefeated season.. i'm all for kicking their asses at home

10. Boundzy

Boundzy BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aganist VT, LSU played about as well as a team can play. Assuming that LSU and South Carolina take care of home games this week against MTSU and South Carolina State, there will be another battle of Top 25 teams in Tiger Stadium on September 22.

Unfortunately, CBS may move this game to Saturday afternoon, rather than it being on ESPN at night. I think it depends, in part, on how Alabama and Georgia fare this weekend. Initially, CBS wanted the Bama-UGA game, but with the UGA loss, the LSU-USC matchup looks more attractive.

11. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe you shall receive your wish! Enjoy!

12. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I think LSU and Bama have UGA beat, actually, as their fans also have that air of delusion from their sense of entitlement. Every school, especially the big ones, has their fair share of obnoxious fans, but the ones that also add piety and outright hatred, those get on my nerve. Texas, Louisville and OSU come to mind.

No school has a monopoly on classy fans, and no school is immune from a segment of morons. Alas. :eek:

13. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Count me among those who tries to support the conference mates, mostly because I value the institutions involved. I support the teams because they represent the school, not out of some localized loyalty. Especially since my alma mater and conference (GT/ACC) is one that has more than athletic ties, I'd clearly have less affinity for the school if they were affiliated with other institutions that I felt had dramatically different ideals. Plus success for the conference as a whole can only benefit my school as a member, much like the way the SEC and Big Ten have risen to prominence by virtue of their group appeal. (Yes, I'm fully aware that the conference is on a major downswing. *sigh*)

1. GT
    2. ACC teams
    3. Syracuse
    4 - 119. Rest of 1-A and WKU (1-A on trial basis)
    120. Louisville

:D

14. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I'd say Bama has a sense of entitlement. They have more lives than a cat. I keep waiting for them to die after every coach gets fired or leaves, but they won't. LSU is a Johnny come-lately to top-tier football, and will not stay there more than half a decade or so. UGA seems to think they're something they are not, and with the exception of the Herschel Walker era (1980-1982), they never have been. Tennessee fans can be ugly, as can some of the University of South Carolina faithful.

Florida fans seem pretty cool, as do Vanderbilt and Kentucky fans. But I have to say that the SEC as a rule has far too little respect for the greater (traditionally, not necessarily this season- so don't come back here quoting me in January if USC fails to do what they should) powers outside their conference. They whine like little girls (see Miles, Les) when traditional football meccas like USC get any publicity.

Include Bama and UGA on that list. Add "childish disrespect" to "piety and outright hatred" and you can include LSU.

15. Boundzy

Jul 1, 2003
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an LSU fan, my first question about a game is: How will it affect LSU? For most games the answer is that there is little to no effect and I support a team based on other factors. However, wins by other SEC teams improve the view of the conference in the eyes of poll voters. This helps LSU; therefore, I typically support SEC teams when they play out-of-conference. For conference games, I usually support the underdog, though not always. I certainly understand that some people cannot bring themselves to support conference foes, but for me, it’s not so much about supporting foes as it is supporting LSU and wanting the outcome that affects LSU in the most positive manner.

As for obnoxious fans, sure LSU has its share, as does every large university. Every sporting event that I’ve attended from the high school through professional levels, regardless of the sport, has had obnoxious, holier-than-thou, entitled, hate-filled, moronic, and usually intoxicated supporters. Some people are just too invested in sports. I had a friend in college whose mood was almost entirely dependent on the outcomes of sporting events, did not like associating with people who supported rival teams, and often burned a cap or shirt that he wore during his team’s loss (as a Cubs fan, he’s burned a lot of Cubs' merchandise!). Although his antics were funny at first, the seriousness of his personal investment in his teams was pathetic.

Supporting a team is fun. I enjoy yelling at the blind refs who are in the back pocket of the opposing team, the lucky breaks that give the opposition a win, and the hard work and talent that justify my team’s victories. I get angry and upset when my teams lose, and elated when they win. But, as most of the people reading this know, there are numerous aspects of life that are significantly more important and fulfilling.

Geaux Tigers!

16. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GriffinGunner, where did your Louisville hate come from?

17. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After winning the Tom O'Brien bowl, GTech's up next. Tashard Choice looks NASTY. Dwyer too.

18. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maryland's QB is horrible. Lattimore is good, Ball is good as well. Defense played as best as they could, but Steffy wasn't helping them out with his bad throws.

Friedgen's play-calling was sub-standard, but understandable since he's dealing with a backup QB. Still, you're at home, enough with the RB/TE out play.

WVU has a bunch of play-makers on offense. We'll see how they do the rest of the season.

19. GunnerJacket

GunnerJacket Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Gainesville, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Boundzy, I like your like your line of thinking. Consider this one GT fan who'll mark you among the "good" fans in sport. ;)

- - - -

Hate is a strong word and I try to refrain from using it regarding groups. So, instead of hate let's just say I have the least amount of respect for them as a group of fans compared to others.

I've had some encounters with Card fans when Tech and Louisville met up for several hoops games years ago, have known about 4-5 over the past few years, and since the realignments of 2003 I've encountered many more on the internet. As a group this one seems to have the largest ratio of hate-filled egomaniacs. Along with Texas Louisville has the most fans I've met who seem to truly believe they're on some plane above everyone else, where they actually disdain other people for simply being fans of other teams. When GT dropped an agreement to a 1-1 football series with the cards (one that hadn't even reached a full contract, yet) I read/heard multiple rants that went from calling Tech (the school, fans, players) chicken and a bunch of pansies to me personally being called full of it, worthless and a "child molester." One fan I know is thrilled to not be part of the "Anti Christ Conference."

My other favorite team resides in the BE, and since joining the BE while in the midst of their current sporting high the Louisville fans have sometimes shown an air of ruling the roost, with marginal respect for the established membership. I don't get the sense that their glad to be with the BE, just glad to be in a BCS conference where they can be in the spotlight.

Their sports teams are hot right now and I appreciate the enthusiasm and support (fiscal and emotional) that they give those teams, I certainly give them that. The school has made great strides as an academic institution, I like the city, and I can think of a couple fans I've met online who are top-class. But I draw the line between good fans and bad fans where support for one team turns into outright vilification of the others, and lately it seems I'm encountering more Louisville fans who slide into the latter category. Thus, I have less interest in seeing that group being rewarded at the expense of others. I get it when UGA fans taunt us Jackets for the sake of rivalry, but I've never simply wished ill on another program out of pure spite. Of the folks I've met who do feel that way, the largest number seems to be Cards fans. Sadly.

- - - -

Game on! Just make sure your Eagles win all their out of conference games, will ya. The conference needs some folks to do well this year. :rolleyes:

20. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like they're adjusting to life in the Big East nicely. Maybe L'ville fans will get to the point where UC*nt and Wet Vag*na fans are currently...Rutgers fans are getting to that pt as well, judging by their good sportsmanship with respect to Navy last Friday.

I'll be pulling for So Fla, thx.

I kinda like our chances the rest of the way. Losing BJ Raji (academics) and Brian Toal (medical RS) from our front 7 on defense hurts us. Those guys are out for the season and both of them are 4th yr seniors. Also, we've lost our only other Sr on the dline for the next couple of weeks. Not sure what we'll do to pick up your "blitz on every down" philosophy but I think OC Logan will rustle up something.

Getting Bennett to throw is the key. That's what we've done, let the QB beat our cover 2, lots of QBs have relative success against us between the 20s, but that's it. We currently have a sh*t load of INTs going into this game. Wish I had gone down to see this game personally, since a buddy of mine is at Emory Law, but I made plans to be at Georgia-Bama the following week a looong time ago, so I couldn't swing both trips. Will try to hit Waffle House when I fly into ATL next Thursday nite.

21. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Flip, what the Rutgers students said is nothing worse than what we have screamed/sung in 101.

22. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well in all my years, I've never said the same to Army/Navy. EVER. And we've played them a bunch of times over the years. 30+ times as a matter of fact.

23. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, the whole idea going into Atlanta was that our defense had to stop the run and make Bennett win the game for 'em. We had to provide enough protection for Ryan to hit our receivers, WRs deep, or TEs as the safety valve. I don't recall our RBs getting passes at all, unless we were in the red zone.

Defense did its job, considering that 3 starters from last year weren't playing. LBs stepped up, and the DBs did the best they could. Our front seven played an amazing game and stayed in their lanes and did their best to limit Choice. Dwyer had some decent runs, but by that time, the game was starting to slip away. Sloppy game with respect to all the flags for penalties to both sides, so I suppose they both offset.

GTech's corners were picked on by Ryan all night. OC Logan tried to find some mismatches and exploited them repeatedly.

We wouldn't have won had TOB and Dana Bible were still with the team. Their vanilla offense would have been stopped. Jagz and Logan play to win and go for it. Plain and simple.

GO BC.

PS-what was with the GTech students throwing something at Ryan when we were backed up deep in our end? And I thought we left that stuff behind in the Big East.

24. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    some interesting knockoffs over the weekend, has shaken up AP's Top 10 a bit..

1. USC
    2. LSU
    3. Florida
    4. Oklahoma
    5. West Virginia
    6. Texas
    7. Wisconsin
    8. California
    9. Ohio State
    10. Penn State :D

25. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Linky?

I think that's a ok Top 10. I think PSU deserves to be in there as well. Not sure about Texas. Obviously, 3 games in, lots can happen going forward.