College Football 2003 (NOTHING BUT SMACK THREAD)

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by GringoTex, Aug 28, 2003.

1. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    [​IMG]

:rolleyes:

You'll all be sorry when Basketball starts up again.

2. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ohio State 28 another soft Pac Ten team 9.

What the Hell was Oklahoma wearing?

3. CrewStadium227

CrewStadium227 New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Columbus,Ohio,USA
    Ed Martin.

4. CrewStadium227

CrewStadium227 New Member

Jul 9, 1999
    Columbus,Ohio,USA
    Re: Re: Re: The Dawgs are pounding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was at the game, and I had seats right behind the Washington bench. I was surprised to see how small the Huskies are. I mean there were a few huge guys, but overall they didn't have the size that I expected to see. Especially at the skill positions. Some of their corners are really short.

The looked totally deflated by the end of the first quarter. They might have gained some momentum later in the game, but you could tell that Krenzel's TD late in the 2nd really took the spirit out of them.

5. NNCRed

NNCRed Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Land-o-Spuds
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The Dawgs are pounding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OSU was the better team by far. More power up front on both sides of the ball. Pickett had no time to throw and spent half his day on his arse. Krenzel's 2nd TD virtually sealed the game, at least momentum wise.

Having said that, OSU didn't really put UW away like they could/should have. While the momentum was clearly with OSU the whole game, a blocked punt or interception return for a TD early in the 3rd quarter and UW's back in a game they should have been out of long ago. OSU needs to kill games like this a lot quicker than they did.

Props to the Buckeyes, you earned it. UW needs to rebound with 4 out of the next 5 at home (Indiana, Idaho, Stanford, Nevada). The lone road game in that stretch is UCLA. The Huskies need to go 5-0 in those games to get their confidence back.

6. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Dawgs are pounding !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tell us buckeye fans all about it, it is something other colleges do so well <oklahoma, miami, florida st, etc> but ohio state tends to sit on a 21 point lead and just hold it there...it is times like this when i yell at the television, throw the damn ball on a 60 yard fly-pattern and put the dagger in the heart of the other team, come on jimmy tress i know you got it in ya.

7. Auriaprottu

Auriaprottu Member+

Atlanta Damn United
    Apr 1, 2002
    The back of the bus
    Club:
    Atlanta
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    USC.

Gotta capitalize those initials, fella... the mighty Trojans might not miss Carson Palmer that much after all.

8. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    The best College Football Div. 1-A conference?

Pac-10 by far is the best College Football conference in the country.

What do you think?

9. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Re: The best College Football Div. 1-A conference?

The Pac-10 has one of the best teams in the country and very little after that. you saw what happened to Washington @ Ohio State? Absolute domination.

I think its either the Big 12 or the Big 10. The blackshirts's are back at Nebraska, OU's defense is stupendous, Texas is loaded with talent. And Okie St is still a good squad. And Brad Davis is pretty damn good. Ohio St and Meeechigan are both really experienced and talented. Penn State is just really talented but with no experience in the trenches, in te backfield, and trhe reciever spot opposite Tony Johnson. Purdue brings back 17 starters or something like that, Minnesota has some good talent, Iowa is on the down-turn though, and Illinois is over-rated.

10. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not only that, but some people have called USC, just SC. In this part of the country, SC is South Carolina.

11. Chizzy

Chizzy Member+

She/Her
    United States
    Aug 7, 2003
    Upper Left, USA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: The best College Football Div. 1-A conference?

Sonicspride! There is no Mt West Conference? You didn't include "other" conference in the poll.

12. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    I believe that you can't judge a conference until you see how the conference matches up in their bowl games. Based on the figure, last year went to the Big 10.

So far this year, the two best conferences are going to be the Big 10 and the Big 12.

*** MOD NOTE ***

This is a poll question. Not a smack thread. Once it turns to smack, the thread will be merged into the smack thread.

13. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Re: Re: The best College Football Div. 1-A conference?

Don't forget about #8 USC kicking the lights out of #6 Auburn, 23-0 at their home turf.

Anyway, I think PAC -10 is the best conference in the country, and it has been since the 2000 season after that debacle of 1999 . People have got to realize the fact that we never sent a Pac 10 team in the National championship game since the BSC system started in 1998. Pac 10 is so competitve, its hard to finish undefeated in the conference play which prevented us for having a Pac 10 team in the national championship game from the last three years

14. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Re: Re: Re: The best College Football Div. 1-A conference?

i think what appooOnU was saying is that that USC is their best team by far...their second best team according to many got crushed by ohio state last night. when the pac-10 learns to play defense they will be taken seriously...until then, they are probably the 4th or 5th best conference in the nation.

15. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I voted Conference USA only because for some ungodknown reason, you gave me the option of doing so.

As usual, the two best conferences are the Big 10 and the Big 12.

The Pac 10 will never get respect from us folks that live in the correct time zone because they don't deserve it.

If you want to earn respect, play East coast teams on the east coast during the afternoon like the rest of the free world does. And when you do for some reason think you should play out there on the wrong coast, play your games at 9:00am your time so we can see them every once in a while - not that we'd really want to since you really only play other West coast teams. But that's a start towards earning respect.

16. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The best College Football Div. 1-A conference?

Injury depleted Backfield for the Huskies limits their running game real bad.

_________
    4th or 5th best ? Dude! You must be joking!

17. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    East Coast Bias is Alive!

Ding!!!!!!!!

Now, we are entering the East Coast Bias Thread!

We need a damn playoff system.

18. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The best College Football Div. 1-A conference?

oh please, their backfield sucked last year, it sucks this year, and it will suck next year...they were missing their back-up running back due to injury. if you call that depleated then i would hate to know what you call ohio states backfield without maurice, their #1 back.
    big twelve, big ten, sec, can all easily lay claim to having a better conference than the pac ten. and you could say that the acc has a better conference as well...

there is no east coast bias against the pac ten. i will say it again, you don't play defense out there...tell the rest of the conference to learn how to play defense like USC did and they you will get some respect. once that happens things will change, but until then...

19. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The best College Football Div. 1-A conference?

Injured Chris Singleton was the Huskies #1 Running back, not Rich Alexis.

BTW, didn't the Pac- 10 produced more NFL players than the other Conference?! Primarily on "DEFENSE"

Don't you call that an East Coast Bias?

20. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The best College Football Div. 1-A conference?

Yeah. And?

There's a reason the phrase 'East Coast Bias' exists, y'know. Don't blame us cause you live on the wrong side of the country.

21. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Technically, 51% of the country's population lives in the eastern time zone (I do not). So by the rule of majority rules.....

22. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The best College Football Div. 1-A conference?

like it matters; their running game sucked and their offensive like was like swiss cheese all night long. hell, they could have had anthony daivs, chris perry and frank gore as their 3 running backs and with that offensive line they would have made those backs look pathetic. plain and simple, to say missing one running back makes a depleted backfield is a joke. keep making excuses....
    your point is? pac-10 defenses suck; you know it, i know it, everyone freaking knows it...if you are going to say the pac-10 produces more defensive players in the nfl can you produce a link for me b/c honestly i don't believe it. sure there were a few individually brilliant defensive players in the pac-10 but that doesn't mean they have a good overall team defense except for USC.
    it's called the truth. they don't get respect b/c they don't deserve it...

23. Sonicspride

Sonicspride New Member

Jul 20, 2003
    Yep, you are right! 51% of the population live out east, and so is the media, pundits.

Well, its east coast bias it is.

It's not our fault that we live in the different time zone. Its only 3 hours away.

24. WarrenWallace

WarrenWallace Member

Mar 12, 1999
    Beer and Cheese
    Threads merged. Now people can bitch all they want about everything.

25. Nate505

Nate505 Member

Feb 10, 2002
    Colorado
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The best College Football Div. 1-A conference?

No kidding. I can't see how anyone can argue against the Big 12. There are really only 2 stinkers in the conference, and 3 teams are outstanding.