College Coaching Openings

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by soccersoccersoccer, Oct 6, 2008.

1. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Thank you kind sir for informing the vast American public on the deficiencies of not only American soccer, but now as a bonus on our economic problems. You're a wealth of information that if just a small percentage of the readers would wholly adopt your ideas, could vault the US into world dominance of soccer, economic prosperity, longetivity and my penis could grow to be 2 foot long. I can't speak for anyone else, but your engaging arguments have persuaded me to change my entire outlook on life.

Thank you, again, kind sir, for alerting me of the error of my ways and my country's grossly ineffective behaviors and processes. I'll call Obama to get him to change everything today.

Thank you. Other than a few minor blemishes, Germany is the beacon of liberty and forwarding thinking (except if you were Jewish, homosexual, free-thinking, anti-nationalist, etc) that US should strive to emulate.

Finally, thank you for taking the time to cure all of the US problems. I'm sure that if you dedicated yourself; you could solve the problems in the middle East. However, I'm not sure that Israel would like your final solution.

Thanks!

2. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Trust me Joe, that's not all it's cracked up to be.

3. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay all... we have political and financial boards available to you. Please refrain from expressing your political views in the College Soccer board. Furthermore, this thread is about College Soccer Coaching Openings... let's stay on topic. Any future posts that derail the topic will be binned and/or infracted.

Thanks - I appreciate your cooperation.

4. WineKeeper

WineKeeper New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    Not sure this is the place to get into this type of discussion; but, you need to read some of the European newspapers. France and Germany have very high unemployment and their financial picture is worse than the US.

5. whatruthinkin

whatruthinkin New Member

Nov 15, 2008
    Thanks Moderator, I was getting very bored reading them.

6. Boss DJ

Boss DJ Member

Jun 4, 2008
    My new favorite post - instant classic.

7. WineKeeper

WineKeeper New Member

Feb 9, 2009
    A Top Ten Classic response. Definitely put a chuckle in me today.

8. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here you go! Ontopicness!

CORNELL-Named Jaro Zawislan men's soccer coach

I don't follow Ivy League schools too much, but I should. My uncle went to Cornell, and it would be fun to see a Cornell @ Columbia match, imho.

9. Kandersonfan

Kandersonfan New Member

Mar 10, 1999
    Has anyone heard names for the UMass Lowell job?
    Are they not hiring until new fiscal year?

10. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. BillyBigTime

BillyBigTime New Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Club:
    U.S.F.C. Blue Star
    Scales will do ok....kind of hard to fathom that there was no one else...Crompton or something of the like.....Wright State seems poised to hire Wall....any thoughts....anyone know who interviewed? My buddy said Green from WVA, Ensley from Cincy, the Capital Head Coach (DIII), Wall, and two others....WSU seems destined for the same...is Adair out at Clemson and would Scott from ETSU be the guy or would Presser....

12. odat81

odat81 New Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Club:
    Cincinnati Kings
    Wright State to anounce today...
    dreadful spring season

13. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Wasn't their dreadful spring season readily apparent? Why would they need to announce it?

Mystifying.:confused:

14. sccrjunkie6

sccrjunkie6 New Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Heard through the grapevine, WSU was down to two...decision should be coming soon. The two are Cincinnati Asst and GW Asst., I trust my sources but could be wrong...hopefully we (and more importantly, the players at Wright State) will find out soon.

15. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Off to a flying start ...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/dayt...-state-soccer-coach-has-big-plans-104431.html

16. maestro13

maestro13 New Member

Dec 2, 2008
    So the two guys who get these jobs (Cornell and Wright St) both have sub .500 records at their schools in the past 4/5 years, have like one NCAA apearance between them and no head coaching experience..............are these jobs just not paying anything or what is it? I dont see this happening in basketball etc. His big claim to fame seems to be a 27th ranked recruiting class....no Big East or Big Ten assistants had more to offer than an A10 guy.....another head scratacher..yet then again, the guy before him got the Duquense job, so theres something to be said for that too I guess.

17. Mr_HoseHead

Mr_HoseHead Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Sorry for stooping to the obvious response, but - no duh! Basketball is often a revenue program and is a "traditional" American sport, so it still has wider recognition and following. Students and alumni very, very rarely stand in line for soccer tickets, etc. Soccer is a relatively niche market for most places and the jobs are priced to that market. That said, most coaches start as assistants but you rarely see "all of them" until they get a chance on their own. Maybe Mr. Davis will have the right stuff for Wright State?

18. scotlndta

scotlndta New Member

Feb 4, 2005
  19. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    The new women's coach turned things around in a season or two (although, he did have significant HC experience). Tough to tell with the men.

WSU is a difficult recruiting sell, whose best (sic) seasons came with a string of Carribean, then Canadian players. They were never great, but always at least competitive, and athletic enough to be difficult.

That hasn't been the case over the past couple of seasons, where they been trampled in more than a couple of games. Perhaps it's been motivational. Perhaps just too much money tied up in a few players. Perhaps an increase in academic standards. In any case, he'll earn his pay if he can restore some semblance of competitiveness.

20. maestro13

maestro13 New Member

Dec 2, 2008
    What I meant is that in basketball, programs hire assistant coaches from winning programs to be their head coaches, whereas in soccer, particularly this year (Cornell and Wright St), they went with guys who have had less than impressive pedigrees. Thats what I meant....of course i know basketball is a totally different entity than soccer

21. Bid&Offer

Bid&Offer Member

Nov 25, 2006
  22. Vilhelm

Vilhelm Member

Sep 9, 2005
    Very interesting. What's the story here? Did Oliver discover it's not as easy to recruit to Blacksburg (despite being in the ACC) as some on this board seem to think it is or should be, budgetary cutbacks impacting overseas recruiting, school imposed limitations on 6 month players, or a genuine better opportunity?

Just strange to see a coach resign less than two years removed from a College Cup appearance at a school with no soccer history at all.

23. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Wow! Just, wow.

This raises all sorts of eyebrows.

I mean, it could be something innocuous like taking a gig at youth club that pays more or wanting to move for family reasons or something.

But, ACC men's soccer head coaching jobs are among the most coveted in all of non-revenue college sports and there's only 9 of 'em. You just don't walk away from a gig like that if you're gonna stay in college coaching unless there is something more to it, especially when you've had the success Weiss has had making Tech a strong program, practically from scratch.

On top of that, the timing is VERY curious. June? You go through recruiting your incoming freshmen, coaching in the spring and hitting most of the top showcases for underclassmen and then you quit?

I dunno. It's hard not to wonder if the school cut back on his travel budget or limited his recruiting in someway. I don't want to suggest he did something wrong. At the same time, the stuff he was pulling with the "exchange students" and usurping some of the scholarship limits, while it may not have been a violation per se, certainly flew in the spirit of the rules. Perhaps the school asked him to stop and he said no.

Whatever it is, this is a plum job in college coaching, regardless of the claim some have about it being tough to recruit to Blacksburg. And, if current head coaches go after, and get, this job it could create a ripple effect similar to what happened when Bobby Clark left Stanford to coach Notre Dame after Mike Berticelli's death.

(For those that don't remember, after Clark left Stanford, Brett Simon left Creighton for Stanford, Bob Warming left Saint Louis for Creighton and SLU promoted assistant Dan Donnigan.)

24. JBohland

JBohland New Member

Feb 6, 1999
    Just heard about this from some current Tech players at a local match tonight. They had no idea it was coming...rumors around Blacksburg are that Oliver and the administration were not getting along. Also some speculation that the NCAA is looking into his overseas recruiting. This is all hearsay at the moment, mind you, as nobody really knew anything for sure. Oliver was a true mixed bag--on the one hand, he raised the profile of the program and took us to the Final Four. He was also a very hard guy to play for and drove a number of players away over the years. Will be interesting to see who takes over. Like Sandon suggests, this is a top 20 job nationally.

25. luvdogs

luvdogs New Member

Aug 31, 2008
    3 players from Germany, 3 players from Ghana on the roster from 2008. If it is true that the NCAA is looking into his "overseas recruiting" - what is he suspected of doing?