College admission advice

Discussion in 'Education and Academia' started by quentinc, Dec 18, 2005.

1. bungadiri

bungadiri Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2002
    Acnestia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, that was vague. I mean something like a large research project via an independent study with a prof, where you focus on an idea that interests you particularly, or via a departmental honors program...something like that. The way I originally phrased it kind of implies collection of original data and that's not really necessary, and in some disciplines is virtually impossible for undergrads. Anyway, I just meant to suggest something that indicates you've been driven off the beaten track by your own interests and, thereby, gives grad programs some evidence that you'll be a self-motivated junior colleague.

2. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003

And this is one place wherethe LAC experience is so beneficial in my mind. I'm currently doing a JD/MBA at a top grad schooland while that definetly was the baseline for my ability to garner interviews, I definetly felt like the alumni network i still can link was a great help. Equally important, but hard to quantify is the connections that its gotten me i terms of political/social networks that I am just starting to build.

On a larger note, this sort of brings the thread back to the original point- the various quality of eductions that you could recieve is a key issue in choosing colleges, but name value and alumni networks are equally important and with the exception of some of the Ivy schools (and even here I think the best LACs trump even HYP) the alumni bases are extremly powerful. I don't know how strong St. John's is simply because I always had the impression that their grads were extremly academicly oriented as opposed to professional careers. However, the Williams, Amherst, Davidons, etc. of the world have the tightest alumni networks I have ever ran into.

3. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    It turns out that the former pastor at our church is the chair of the alumni chapter for St. John's in the Austin/San Antonio area.

4. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    gotta disagree with this if only to stick up for my old school. Halfway through my time at undergrad we got a new president who was convinced that the route to higher prestige was to make our profs publish much more. So I got to see both sides of this as the new hires were brought in with this emphasis and knew that their tenure chances were dependent on this. As a result they were-on average- far less approachable than some of the older profs. Now with the other system you do get some "characters" who might be better suited to teaching at a boarding school, but at least at my school which had changed drastically in the two decades of co-education they were clearly the last holdouts maintained by the tenure system. In general, the profs who I was and remain closest to published some and were professionally active but were absolutely committed to teaching as their first priority. As a result, they were not the leeading lights in their fields, but they helped make me the person I am today- and to refer back to an earlier post, those profs provide I point of continuity with guys twenty years older than me who were similarily influenced by the same people.

5. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Member

May 28, 2003
    Always nice, but don't over value this sort of link- still if they take alumni recs it might be an edge if you end up on the bubble for the admissions people.