Colin Clark out for Season

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by GoRapids, Aug 13, 2010.

1. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    again ... another torn ACL :(

What a great story he was turning into until his knee problems.

Hoping he can continue his career. Good luck Colin - deepest sympathies.

Big blow for the Rapids.

2. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
    Indeed, deepest sympathies. That's gotta be tough on an athlete, and quickness/explosiveness is so important to a player like him. Is it unusual to tear an ACL twice? I assume after the first one he had a reconstruction where they used a bit of one of his other tendons or one from a cadaver.

Seems like the big blow to the Rapids was the 1st injury, since he hadn't yet come all the way back from that one.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well damn, that sucks.

At least we went out and got depth at the winger position in the offseason. After having this happen last year we obviously learned our lesson.

Oh, wait...:mad:

4. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats a shame. He was such a promising player before all the injuries took hold. Unfortunatly that also means that his career in Colorado is probably over.

5. danfalcons18

danfalcons18 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Maybe a wakeup call for the Rapids? How about a new signing?

Obviously I'm sad to see Colin go down again, and I hope that an end to his footballing career (particularly in CO) won't be the case. He was just recovering, and he's been in pretty good form the last few games.

What are the Rapids going to do? 4-4-2 with Ballouchy and Smith on the wings, or will Gary choose Wells to be a man out wide? Clearly a huge blow to our shot at the playoffs, he provides great pace and trickery on the wings.

6. Jimmydinho

Jimmydinho Member+

Jul 6, 2007
    Denver, CO, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dreadful.

But.

Why the delay in announcing this? Scan on Monday, no announcement until Friday. Is this just time killing to lessen the fan pressure to sign a badly needed replacement?

Which is when by the way, whats the last day to transfer players in? Soon isnt it?

7. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The international window closes tomorrow. I don't know what the deadline is for exchanges within the league.

8. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unfortunately, the injury excuse is probably what we'll hear at the end of the season when we don't make the playoffs and yet none of Plush, Bravo, or Smith are canned. Just ignore the fact that we killed our playoff chances with a 7 game winless streak before Clark got injured.

9. danfalcons18

danfalcons18 Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    What about our playoff chances? Do things look good? And how much is the Clark injury really going to affect us?

10. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering that we probably can't afford to lose anybody else to injuries...I'd say we're on some pretty thin ice right now.

11. Independiente

Independiente Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Mar 15, 2005
    Littleton, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very sad news for Colin. What a heartbreaker of an injury. I wish him the best and hope he is able to recover and that we'll see him play next year. I thought that he was having his best game of the season against the Quakes up until the injury happening. We definitely need some greater depth at that spot with Jamie Smith being often injured and only Wells Thompson, Kosuke Kimura, Mehdi, and Omar seeming likely options on the wing. I'd be happy if we got Freddy Adu for that spot at this point.

12. GoRapids

GoRapids Member

Sep 1, 1999
    Boulder CO
    This has me pissed and upset and the same time.

Being a Rapids fan is not easy!!!

If you are one stand proud because you are among the best fans MLS has!!!

13. pdid10

pdid10 Member+

Aug 8, 2008
    Boulder
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Absolutely gut-wrenching.

14. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I hope colin heals fast and better. This is awful my heart goes out to him.

15. Totoro

Totoro Member+

Dec 3, 2009
    Colorado
  16. Dom. FC

Dom. FC Member+

May 10, 2004
    Central US
    First off my heart goes out to Clark, a come-back will still be possible but really tough ... best of luck and hopefully quick healing.

Now having said that, this is not as big of an impact on the team as it was last year. Sadly because he was still recovering his skill set and confidence he wasn't contributing this year like he was when we lost him last year. His loss this year is more on par with the loss of Jacob Peterson last year, important but not season changing. Bigger factors this year are:

- Only two legitimate MLS quality strikers working w/o a net (i.e. a back-up).
    - Jamie Smith still not 'making' it.
    - Lopez still only playing cameos (if that) in mid August, no leading parts or even best supporting roles.
    - A back line that is not 'settled' because each week they have to draw straws to see who gets 'stuck' at left back.
    - Tactics that regularly have us getting out-coached, more specifically trying to make players fit a formation and style preferred by the coach rather than the coach selecting a formation and style that fits the personnel on the roster as it is on match day.
    - Tantalizing combinations of possession without a purpose coupled with long ball (long odds) soccer make us pretty darn easy to scout and defend.

So anyway fix all or even some of that and we might see the playoffs even without Mr. Clark.

17. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really sorry to hear this one. Can't believe the luck to do the same ACL almost a year to the day after the first. Heal well Colin. Seems like this is going to be tougher to come back from unfortunately.

18. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As I mentioned after last season limped to a conclusion:
    Rapids record before injuries: 8-6-6 (W-L-T)
    Record after injuries, not counting the match where the injury happened:
    Rapids record after Colin Clark's injury: 2-4-4
    Rapids record after Jamie Smith's injury: 1-3-4
    Rapids record after Jacob Peterson's injury: 0-2-2
    One could argue from the 2009 record that the loss of Jacob Peterson was more costly to that team than the loss of either Clark or Smith. I fully realize that, had the order of injuries been changed, the result could (and likely would) have been much different. I also realize that the Terry Cooke debacle occurred in the middle of this mess, and clearly affected the season.

Looking at the current roster, there seem to be only four players whose absence significantly alters the quality of play. The absence of either Cummings or Casey disrupts the attack. The absence of Pablo tears a hole in the heart of the defense, and exposes the weakness of the back line. The absence of Pickens is a nightmare. The rest of the roster (with the possible exception of Larentowicz) seems fairly interchangeable. For an EPL team, that last statement would be a compliment. The Rapids at times play like they aren't a MLS team, either.

19. fortcollins

fortcollins Member+

St. Louis City SC
    Apr 12, 2006
    Fort Collins
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Colin, I wish you my very best. You as a person and as a player are in our thoughts. There are a lot of people here in Fort Fun and elsewhere in Rapidsland pulling for you.

20. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure we have suitable replacements on the backline for Moor or Wynne. Certainly losing both of them would absolutely kill us.

21. miguel

miguel Member

Nov 26, 1998
    Colin..... I too echo the sentiments of all your fans and just want to add that you are still young and you can bounce back again from this injury. Hang in there and keep a good positive attitude. modern medicine has come a long way in the last 20 years. Don't quit! We'll all be praying for you to make it back next season. Hang tough.... adios