Coldplay

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by arsenal, Aug 30, 2002.

1. arsenal

arsenal New Member

Dec 22, 2000
    southern illinois
    Coldplay has to be the greatest band ever assembled, there mixture of relaxing guitar riffs, piano ballads, and great lyrics makes them a brilliant combination. I was just wondering what songs other Coldplay fans like on both the Parachutes and Rush Of Blood To The Head albums.
    I love all the songs but these are my favorites.

Parachutes:
    Don't Panic
    Shiver
    Yellow
    Trouble**
    Parachutes

Rush Of Blood:
    Politik
    In My Place
    Clocks**
    Daylight**
    Amsterdam

other albums: brothers and sisters (great song)

2. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't go so far as saying they're the greatest band ever assembled, but I'll be goddamned if 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' isn't a serious contender for album of the year.

My favorites (in order):

Parachutes:
    1. Shiver
    2. Trouble
    3. Yellow

A Rush Of Blood To The Head (The whole album is good, but these are the standouts, imo):
    1. Politik - incredible song
    2. Daylight
    3. Clocks - sounds something off an early U2 album
    4. God Put A Smile Upon Your Face
    5. In My Place

3. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    I've never heard them, so I'll refrain from bashing. I hate their name, though. What the hell is a coldplay?

4. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    New album is effin excellent, no doubt about it. Just got it last night and listened thrice already. Great stuff.
    Did anyone else get that interview disc that came with it, i haven't listened to that at all yet, but luckily with the interview disc came the lyrics. (Go Figure).

5. phats_away

phats_away Member

Jul 28, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    wow
    great album

i liked the first, but not as much as most. it was good, but, had it's repetitivness

but rush is awesome
    they are in town on sat, but it's sold out
    damnit

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Yep, good stuff. I like the singles that came out of Parachutes but the rest of the album was a little blah. The new one is a complete album.

Mattbro, I don't think you would like Coldplay. The lads are quite sensitive (read: whiny) and there are no guitar solos. :)

7. Mattbro

Mattbro Member+

Sep 21, 2001
    Ah, thanks for the tip, skipshady. Thanks to your advice, I've decided not to broaden my horizons after all.

8. YanksFC

YanksFC Member

Feb 3, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Without a doubt, the best album I've heard in 2002. Better than "Parachutes," and I seriously thought that Coldplay would be hard pressed to top their debut.

Beautiful. Exquisite. Mesmerizing. Unbelievably moving. What else can I say?

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    damn and i thought parachutes was great...

looks like i am hitting the record store at lunch tomorrow...

10. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to slow down this love fest for a moment. I enjoy the band, and "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" is really great, but only about half of the songs on A Rush Of Blood work for me. It's not as good as Parachutes, IMO.

Grandaddy blew them away at Radio City last year.

11. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have no doubt that Grandaddy blew Coldplay away back then. "The Sophtware Slump" will go down as one of the most criminally underrated albums ever. But, most songs on "A Rush" hold up favorably to "TSS" imo. Listen to "Politik" again and see if it doesn't blow anything away on "The Sophtware Slump" save for "The Crystal Lake."

12. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Go ahead. Put on some old, sad, bastard music. See what I care.

13. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    I respectfully disagree, you bastard.

Seriously, I didn't think Parachutes was that good an album. Sure, several good songs on it, but it wasn't the type of album I could listen from beginning to end. Rush of.. doesn't have the "Yellow" or the "Trouble" but overall, I think it's a better album, the kind of CD you can pop in your player and lay your head down. But that's just me.

14. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thyre both about the same.

I can spcae out to both of them equaly.

15. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was giving Rush of Blood its 3rd or 4th listen yesterday, and it has too many songs that have the "We Never Change" factor. "We Never Change" from Parachutes to me is a terrible song, and every time I hear it I leap to my cd player to hit the "skip" button. There are about four or five songs on Rush of Blood that make me want to do that, including "In My Place".

With that said, there are several very, very good songs on it. "Politik", "God Put A Smile", "Amsterdam" and "Clocks" are all standouts. I just wish that it was more consistent.

16. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Alan McGee said it best when he called them "bedwetter rock".

Talented band, but very little originality. It just seems so cookie cutter to me. Of course, I like Interpol, so what the hell do I know??

17. BrianJames

BrianJames Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Chicago
    I've heard it was good, but considering the love its getting in this thread I'm off to pick it up right about....now!

18. laeor

laeor New Member

Jul 7, 2001
    SH.CN
    ye,agree a lot."in my place" is not as good as ppl say.its a radio song simply.

but i love Politik and God Put A Smile quite a lot.

Coldplay to me a big leap forward from the first to the second.i still cant recognize them from AROBTTH cuz i too much into Parachutes.

19. Doctor Stamen

Doctor Stamen New Member

Nov 14, 2001
    In a bag with a cat.
    I admit that I have only heard the singles, but I think that Coldplay are a bit boring. They're not rubbish, just a bit dull.

20. sanariot

sanariot Member

Nov 19, 2001
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the same thing, but they are not tne same wimpy band from the first album. Listen to "Politik" and "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face' and you will see that it is not the same ol' shite from the first (medioce) album. No, they don't measure up to the latest SFA disc, but this album is not half bad either. Give it a chance.