Coaching Philosophies and the Gregg Berhalter System

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Mar 14, 2019.

1. ifsteve

ifsteve Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Jul 7, 2013
    MS and ID
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How so? Was his lineup wrong? Were his substitutions wrong? Were his tactics wrong?
    What did he do that caused us to effectively lose to Jamaica????????

2. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    When protecting a lead and the opponent starts adding attackers, it's good to have CCV in there stepping to the pk spot and stopping attackers in the box as a 3rd cb while the other 2 cb's mark the strikers at the post. If we are behind it makes sense to add a cb with aerial prowess able to find a mismatch in the box for a headed goal. The best cb at headed clearances is Brooks. He also rates really good at scoring goals. the rest of his ratings are bad. Can we fit him in?
    John Brooks Stats, Goals, Records, Assists, Cups and more | FBref.com

3. EruditeHobo

EruditeHobo Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a horrendous take.

Hate Berhalter all you want... blaming him, his coaching or tactics or whatever, for that goal and the inability to put those chances away, is a terrible overall takeaway for that match. Nonsensical.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Our center backs are a bit on the shorter side aren't they? We don't have an 6-5 giants to put in their for pure arial prowess. Any up and comers? I know there's an up and coming keeper that's like 6-7. Guess he could be a third keeper in a few years just to sub on wen behind as an emergency player to put in the box for a goal scrum.

5. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    I have the same issues with this board. I actually went back and rewatched the game to see if I had not seen what I thought I did; maybe my alcohol intake had skewed my view..... but nope...my sober rewatch showed me the same things you’ve listed here.. most of the posters here are batshit crazy because they are blinded with their biases and are unreliable for post game reviews.

don Lamb and Marko72 repped this.
  6. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    All of the bullet points in his post are correct. It’s actually easier to say we were unlucky not to have needed a fluke goal in injury time to push the game to overtime.

don Lamb and Bite o' the Cherry repped this.
  7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Aside from the general Berhalter hate, there's such a results-driven bias here in a sport that, we should all know by now, both has minimal scoring and allows an underdog to play it close.

There's no team in the world winning every game by a rout, even the best teams. France, in Euro qualifying, tied Greece 2-2 and beat them 1-0 at home, needing a pen and a Greek red card. Ireland was a 1-0 win and a 2-0 win at home. They did whoop Gibraltar 14-0 at home, but only beat them 3-0 on the road, shooting 31 times but two of their scores were on a pen and an OG. They lost to Germany twice in friendlies in this span.

And France is better than us. Greece is ranked near Panama; Ireland near Costa Rica. Gibraltar is in with all the islands that aren't good, like Antigua or St. Vincent.

And Jamaica is in between Greece and Ireland. Of course, France also has bigger wins; so do we. And they are better than us.

But anytime we don't win easily, it's a disaster here, even if all the underlyings are pretty good. And it's always on the coach, even if the players clearly are mishitting things left and right.

Pegasus, don Lamb, Bob Morocco and 4 others repped this.
  8. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    Can you provide evidence for this BS? Because I’m pretty sure the coaches and players all said things were kept basically the same during that period of time. But if you have some evidence that there was broad changes where tactics were tossed aside, please provide them so I can be enlightened.

9. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    When I watch Zimmerman play, he looks pretty dominant in the air, and seemed to do just that job you described in the Iran game.

tomásbernal and gogorath repped this.
  10. Calling BS

Calling BS Member+

Orlando City
    United States
    Jan 25, 2020
    This forum acts like all the parents sitting on sidelines at youth games that all of coaches used to laugh at. They miss all the important stuff that leads to wins and future success. I rarely agree with GB’s lineups or rosters, but when I see the lineups and rosters that get posted on here..... I’m like thank god these guys are not the coaches. And then the funniest shit is when a poster suggest BS could pick rosters and lineups better.... all these guys are undefeated in their recliner chairs. I appreciate you as a poster and all the work you do to provide facts and evidence behind your opinions.... I just don’t have the time nor care to do what you do.... I’d like to see the bob Morocco version of the GB hater, then this place could at least become interesting.

11. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    It did "wanders" in two carefully selected games, but not the other seven that were coached by the interim coaches.

12. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For those who think the BJ Callaghan era was a major improvement we’re going to likely get to see how he does as a head coach in MLS

Berhalter will have a vacancy in his staff which I’m guessing may be filled by Nico Estavez.

juveeer and theboogeyman repped this.
  13. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The best national team managers are those who can simplify, simplify, simplify. they have their players for a couple weeks at a time, plus a summer tourney.
    The best club managers have to be able to put in enough complications to work over a 34+ season. They have the rest of the 12 months.
    Sometimes they are the same people, often not

superdave, deejay and russ repped this.
  14. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Callaghan won't make it as a head coach. Crocker should intervene to give Berhalter an assistant who will challenge him.

15. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    There is such a thing as a fan club. But this is a discussion board, not a fan club. Discussion involves
    criticism. If one is so triggered by the harmless criticism then why not form a fan club thread? That's essentially what the Yanks Abroad Forum is for. There is room for a Gregg Berhaltor Fan Club Thread.

And parents attend their kids' games to support their kids first and foremost. Likening this board's criticism to that of disruptive parents who criticize the coach and refs is just dumb and inapt. Again, perhaps a Gregg Berhalter Fan Club thread should be formed. There, Gregg can be supported first and foremost.

16. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Callaghan may or may not make it in MLS. But the besr quality in an assistant coach is Nilu someone who will challenge Berhalter, it’s someone whose strengths overlap with areas Berhalter is not as strong in or who brings something ew and different to the staff that’s missing.

My guess is I’d Callaghan goes the replacement would be either Nico Estavez or Marko Mitrovic post Olympics. But if it’s not that the pool of options is a recently fired MLS coach or up and coming MLS assistant (or assistant in Europe with ties to Berhalter we are unaware of).

And while the USMNT assistant jobs are not the most attractive positions, Berhalter can pitch to people that four of his assistants have gotten MKS coaching jobs (Estavez, Wolff, Luchi Gonzalez, and Callaghan).

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Discussion also involves pointing out incorrect, bad-faith and stupid arguments.

18. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    #9243 IndividualEleven, Jun 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2024
    No kidding. Arguing as though this were a fan club would fall under that.

19. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    As for the Jamaica match, excellent attacking numbers were to be expected, given the level of the Jamaican team and location of the match. The inability to put together both strong attacking numbers and actual goal-scoring against weak teams has been an unfortunate feature of Berhalter's tenure.

Bolivia and Panama are upcoming. Hopefully, there is improvement over the Wales and Iran matches of the World Cup.

20. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001

Not sure how this fits into the context of the discussion on this thread but was a pretty impressive sequence. Some great passing and movement.

21. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Berhalter is a defensive coach. We have shown some pretty serious defensive shortcomings against Colombia and Brazil. Great attacking teams to be sure. And our shape was much improved against Brazil. But I think further defensive improvement is essential if we are gonna make a deep run in Copa.

IndividualEleven repped this.
  22. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last time the A team has played a competitive match against Panama against Berhalter at home, the score was 5-1.

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Reyna as an 8 in a 4123 was a bit questionable but balanced by the use of a presser, like Pepi, at striker. And Pepi had the heat map of an 8/10. But where are the goals going to come from? Perhaps Pulisic could be moved to the right with Haji or Balogun then starting on the left.

24. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Pulisic scores a huge proportion of our goals against top opposition. I was hoping Balogun could shoulder some of that load but it hasn't happened yet.

25. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    National Team assistant coaching jobs are not exactly plum assignments. Although they do seem like an easy shot to an MLS job, so trying to grab an assistant there might make sense.

We should be bringing in people with different expertise and different ideas.

Excellency and gomichigan24 repped this.