Coaching Philosophies and the Gregg Berhalter System

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Susaeta, Mar 14, 2019.

1. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of 3-2-2-3

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/charlotte-fc-in-shambles-nycfc-s-offense-clicks-more-from-matchday-3

self-inflicted badness born of a commitment to over-complicating the team’s entire approach. Let me run through it real quick:
    • Charlotte are playing a base 4-2-3-1 set which is supposed to evolve into a 3-2-2-3 in possession.
    • The evolution comes when the right-footed left back (Bronico) pushes up to underlap into central deep central midfield next to Jones.
    • That releases the other deep central midfielder (Ashley Westwood) to push forward and orchestrate from the ball-side half-space, while the nominal No. 10 (Shinyashiki) pushes to the weak-side half-space as a connector.
    • The left winger (Swiderski) stays wide unless possession is on the weak side, in which case he crashes back-post for pullbacks from the very right-footed left winger (Kamil Jozwiak) who has no goals and just four assists in 22 MLS games, and just one goal in his last 92 outings over nearly three years.
    That’s a whole lot of moving pieces in midfield, two inverted wingers who actually can’t get to the endline to hit pullbacks, a new center back partnership that’s not protected by a true, stay-at-home 6 (Jones was so good at that last year!), and… woooooo boy does it look like these guys are uncomfortable with all of the above. Every rotation is complex, and thus every rotation is late

2. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which game(s) did Berhalter lose to a super minnow 3-0? Maybe a friendly but games that mattered? Games in a tournament?

don Lamb repped this.
  3. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    When the question is posed that way, the answer is quite obviously zero. But you already knew that.

4. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is why I didn't believe Berhalter had a worse loss than ATX just did. I thought maybe I didn't remember one though. It does seem there were a couple of friendlies that had poor results but in tournaments GB went for results. The Dutch games is the most goals and Netherlands is much better than a Haitian club team. It's actually not a big deal and Austin could pour it on and dig themselves out of a hole at home. I just suspect Wolff won't ever be so gullible on the road again.

gogorath and dspence2311 repped this.
  5. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    I think there’s a difference between a “worse loss” and a “3-0 loss to a minnow.” They are not the same thing.

But I am not interested in pursuing this any further. If you think that a single loss with a heavily rotated squad in the first CCL tournament game of a club’s existence is worse than the historic defeats the US national team, experienced under Gregg, then I am happy to leave our disagreement out there for others to Judge. If you think that Austin’s loss to Violette is somehow an indictment of the 4231 with an attacking number 10, then again, I am happy to agree to disagree there.

6. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I see where our difference of opinion came from. I was purely using the scoreline and you weren't. No problem happens a lot on boards as it takes a while to clear up at times.

dspence2311 repped this.
  7. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Man, all those historic defeats.

Grumpy in LA and tomásbernal repped this.
  8. don Lamb

don Lamb Member+

mine
    United States
    Aug 31, 2017
    What games are you referring to?

tomásbernal repped this.
  9. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    Worst loss to México in 8 years. Worst losses ever to Canada.

So yes, historic.

10. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    LOL.

So Berhalter loses in a friendly to a peer (and at that time, better roster) where he was openly experimenting 3-0 and it is historic?

But we make excuses for Wolff in a true competitive match against a vastly inferior roster? Okay!

We've also had worse losses to Canada in our past. We just hadn't lost recently. I'm guessing it was pretty long ago that an MLS team lost to a Haitian team.

Of course, both scenarios have mitigating factors. For Wolff, he fielded a largely B team and paid the price. For Berhalter, one was an experimental friendly and in the other, yeah, Canada is substantially better than they've been ... ever.

But your bias is incredibly obvious when one is "historic losses" and the other is not so bad because of x and y and z.

11. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not great from Gregg favorite Gyasi Zardes

12. dspence2311

dspence2311 Member+

Oct 14, 2007
    He looks surprised when the ball comes to him, and he’s almost never prepared to receive it. His reaction is slower than everyone else, and so is his anticipation. I have no idea why wolf play some ahead of Urruti

13. gomichigan24

gomichigan24 Member+

Jul 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zardes has definitely fallen off in MLS over the last year. And we basically didn’t see him after the January qualifying window of last year.

14. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He had 2 starts all qualifying. Sure Gregg and Zardes were familiar with each other. Not sure what his 2023 form has to do with Gregg's philosophy.

gomichigan24 repped this.
  15. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Now soccer is moving onto a double box!

Interesting video but I don't think we have the players to consistently invite a press and play through it ... yet. That said, I do like that people are solving presses with something more concrete like numbers. If a team is willing to run -- all the way back for build up, and all the way forward for attack, it seems like a very bright idea.

Might be tougher in a tournament setting.

Marko72 and nobody repped this.
  16. nobody

nobody Member+

Jun 20, 2000
    I think this is a natural evolution. When a method of play is effective, new methods emerge to negate it. We need to be conscious of this if we keep going all in on pressing. Especially against more skilled teams, we could eventually be in for some surprises as teams find new ways to negate it.

gogorath repped this.
  17. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Really great thread by Doyle on Berhalter.

I agree pretty close to 100% on his evaluation of the World Cup, aside from outplaying the Dutch -- I don't think we got slaughtered, but execution matters.

I also agree our pool is overrated, though I don't love the characterization of them stated in a way to make them look their worst to make a point. And while I think Berhalter did a good job, I do think there are people who can progress us forward better. And I think a change can be inherently good.

Now, whether we hire one is a different story.

But overall, a good discussion.

18. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Pulisic talks about Gregg's management at about minute 12.

gogorath repped this.
  19. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Pulisic's thoughts on his benching flies in the face of many claims on this board.

20. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    Pretty good video on positional play and Berhalter/Hudson. One of the bonuses of positional play where there's always someone in a zone (i.e. a more strict version) is that it's always in a good defensive transition position. That wasn't a huge issue in these two games but any time you overload, there's the possibility for a counter on the other side.

As an aside, Tactical Manager should really give his youtube channel to this dude, who actually talks tactics.

Pegasus, gomichigan24, deejay and 3 others repped this.
  22. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Good post for BS guys to study. Would add that people should consider how arranging the White shirts in a 343 against the Red shirts will cause them problems.

I like especially the Barcelona example where the guy refers to Dembele's ambi-foot capabilities. Kevin Paredes comes immediately to mind, playing him right forward while building left through Ream-Scally-Gio-Pulisic-Aaronson. As our dribble and pass guys draw fire, Paredes should be wide open to take the ball down and pick out the right assist or shot on goal, much as he did today at the death playing left wing forward for Wolfsburg to steal the point with no time left on the clock.

23. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    @LuckofLichaj2 - I didn't want to spend the effort to explain why I like Aaronson but this guy does a good job. I get that Grenada is not Barca. I get that people like Weah. I like him too. It's ok if a fan doesn't like Aaronson's play. Many don't. HIs coaches always play him though. The UEFA C license guy in the vid seems to like him.

24. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'm glad X man isn't the Sheriff in my town.

tomásbernal repped this.
  25. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This analysis shows why Dest doesn't play for Barcelona. They need a right back who become a RCB when they all shift around and the is definitely not Dest. He would have a better shot at that left back role that has a free attacking role all uptime left side. So he needs to find a team that shifts the opposite way that Barcelona does.

deejay, Excellency, russ and 1 other person repped this.