Coach Watch Party~ Wizards vs Columbus Crew|in the place you've grown up w Watch Part

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Pat Ervin, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Pat Ervin

Pat Ervin New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    KANSAS CITY
    http://www.sycamoreresearch.com/Companies/4/0/Photos/Coachslogo120.jpg
    http://www.sycamoreresearch.com/Companies/4/0/Photos/wizards_color.tif

COACH'S ~ WIZARDS ~ Wizards vs Crew

WATCH PARTY

The Tradition began here.....
    Coach's is in its 6th year in hosting us.

Let the Wizards Promotioncontinue!
    There's plasma and digital HD with targeted sound systems everywhere~all new...not a bad seat in the house!
    Come to your favorite viewing atmosphere with all the fans you know!

SATURDAY, APRIL 29th

Wizards vs Columbus Crew - 6:30pm start

Digital HD-NET BROADCAST

Guinnessand New Castlewill be there for us at $3.00

Large 22oz. Brews for Wizards’ fans!

2. Roush

Roush Member

Dec 19, 2001
    Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Coach Watch Party~ Wizards vs Columbus Crew|in the place you've grown up w Watch

This was posted by Jeff in the original thread to a lot of assent and agreement from most of the folks around. 810 Zone has been a great host and while there have been some hiccups with other locations, by and large the execution at all four of the reputable members (810 Zone, BWW and O'Quigley's) has shown a real commitment to both the team and the fans.

So.... Despite the fact that Coach's has been the place of the past, I feel very comfortable in not going back. I think that our continued support of 810 Zone and the other bars in the network goes a long way towards establishing the credibility of the Wizards as a viable sports organization in this town. It also establishes the soccer fan as a desired commodity.

If we choose to go to Coach's - a bar who didn't think enough of the Wizards offer to spend the money to become an official sponsor - at the expense of the other venues, that sends a subtle message that sponsorships with the Wizards are not an effective marketing expenditure.

Yes the tradition began at Coach's. A tradition of spotty service. We went because there was no other option. Now that there are bars that have made a commitment to the team and its future here, I think we should support them. If Coach's wants to step up and join the party, I might then consider going back, but not until then. And definitely not at the expense of making a good testament to the popularity of soccer.

As we continue to show good numbers at the Network venues - 810 Zone in particular - we make a statement to the business and media communities that the soccer crowd can be a coveted target audience. It may not get us any games on radio this year, but it will set the stage going forward for a more receptive ear when we look to have games on the radio or (GASP) TV.

3. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Pat,

The other day I noticed a sign for a new Coach's on Metcalf around 149th st. (I assume going into the old Victor's space). Are they really expanding out south?

4. Moobythegoldncaf

Feb 27, 2001
    Carson, CA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I only went to one watch party at Coach's like 2 or 3 years ago. I liked it quite a bit but it was pretty packed and we came real close to not having anywhere to sit. Their beer offering is quite nice though, I'll giv ethem that.

5. Pat Ervin

Pat Ervin New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    KANSAS CITY
    Yes, in what I remember as the old "Joe's Barn".

6. Pat Ervin

Pat Ervin New Member

Aug 19, 2004
    KANSAS CITY
    Re: Coach Watch Party~ Wizards vs Columbus Crew|in the place you've grown up w Watch

John (?I think this is you?),
    Didn't use the word "special" this time I don't think. Nonetheless, you have good points, some I share as feelings myself. I don't know why I'm being an old, loyal fart. Wizards, and Mark, are doing a better job than ever in promoting....and I think Coach's would've been on the wagon if they hadn't seem previous efforts not managed so well.
    If it's not too late, they might be open to Mark calling again. Glad the other bars are doing so well?
    Big Pat

7. KCRovert

KCRovert BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 17, 2004
    Overland Park
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yep, for those of us that have been around here for a while, it is the old "Joe's Barn" location......before they tore it down and put in a strip.

8. ericb7694

ericb7694 New Member

Mar 20, 2005
    Osnabrueck, Germany
    Club:
    VfL Osnabrück
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

3 Ways to know you've been in KC for a long time:

1. You vividly remember the '85 Series. Double if you remember '80 and '77 too.
    2. You remember the days when the Comets could outdraw the Chiefs
    3. You remember Joe's Barn. Gotta love the Mason Jars for glasses.