Coach of the Year and Defender of the Year go to...

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Mad_Bishop, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Sources having it that not only has Conrad been robbed of DoY by Robin Fraiser, but GREG ANDRUILIS has beaten out Gansler for Coach of the year. Couple that with Amado Guevara winning MVP, and you have a trio of aweful year end awards (I will concede that Frasier deserves it nearly as much as Conrad)

2. Steve DuBois

Steve DuBois New Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Lenexa, KS
    I can handle Fraser over Conrad, though I disagree.

Andrulis over Gansler is insane. Gansler's squad was a consensus pick for fourth in the Western Conference BEFORE they lost their two best offensive players to preseason injuries. And then their midfield sparkplug. And then their goalkeeper and captain.

Seriously. Envision yourself this preseason looking at a Wizards roster without Preki, Simutenkov, Meola, and Klein. Is there any soccer observer who wouldn't have picked them last, and expected a final record rivalling last year's Dallas Burn?

That's the squad Gansler coached to the best record in MLS (tiebreakers aside), to a six point victory margin in the tougher of the two conferences, to the US Open Cup and to the MLS Cup Final. It is not merely the best coaching job in MLS this year, it is the best coaching job in MLS history. Name another coach who's come close to doing more with less marquee talent.

By contrast, the talent on the Crew made them the consensus Eastern conference pick for MLS Cup two years ago. A year of abysmal direction saw them sink to the bottom of the table, where they remained early this season before their undefeated streak. Which was rendered meaningless when the genius on the bench decided it would be a good idea to bench their leading scorer in a situation in which they needed goals to advance in the playoffs.

Coach of the Year is the easiest award selection on the entire board. Andrulis over Gansler would be unforgivable.

3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to remember someone on MLSnet making probably the best case for Gansler. Take the Meola, Preki, and Klein off of any other squad in the league, and that team would struggle to even make the playoffs even when 8 teams make the playoffs. I will be rather upset if Andrulis wins it. I mean the 18 game unbeaten streak was amazing and the Crew played well this season, but did they play well because the players, or was it the coaching? I'd say the players, cause if you put the team we fielded after losing Meola, Preki, and Klein, I think the coach would struggle to get wins from that team, but Gansler does it because he works to the players strengths.

On Fraiser over Jimmy, while I'd be disappointed in it, Fraiser has had a very good season. Both are incredibly deserving of the award, and while I would love for Jimmy to get it, I won't be upset over it.

And after a quick lurking in the Crew board on the topic, they too seem to be shocked about Andrulis winning it as well.

4. Helghallen

Helghallen Member
    Staff Member

Apr 16, 2003
    Raymore, MO
    Holy crap that is stupid. I'll grant you Fraser, but Andrulis? The guy all the crew fans want fired? This blows.

5. TheImposter

TheImposter Member

Jun 15, 2002
    Centerville, OH
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Shocked" does not begin to describe the sickened, vile, revulsion that anyone who truly cares about the Crew feels right now.

6. hartley

hartley Member

Wasn't it really Andrulis' new assistant coach that should be credited with the team's turnaround?

But think of it this way. Would Coach Gansler rather be Coach of the Year or winner of both the U.S. Open and MLS Cups? My guess is he would rather have the Cups than win a popularity contest.

Just two more reasons why we should go out and beat DC. More obstacles. More statifaction comes with a victory.

7. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll settle for team of the year with a DOUBLE! :D :cool:

8. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    Did anyone else notice the referree of the year award? Abii Okalaja. :eek: I haven't seen one game this season he was center where I thought he was compatant

9. Van Buren

Van Buren New Member

Sep 26, 2002
    Kansas City, Mo
    Most of you on this board have called for Gansler's head so many times since 2001. It's great satisfaction to me, as a Gansler supporter through the struggling times, that so many of you have changed your tune.

That knee-jerk coaching move by LA really helped them. Now, the Ron Newman firing was due b/c he lost control of the team, and his teachings were clearly not working.

Gansler isn't any more genius this year or 2000 than he was idiot in 2001 and 2002. I'm glad he's gotten league-wide respect this year even if he didn't win this silly award.

10. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In the past I have questioned some of Gansler's decisions, but I have never called for his head.

I do think he is "more of a genius" this season than in 2000. In 2000 I think it was good coaching, stellar play and a little lady luck.

I think this season's team has relied lesson on luck, more on coaching and equally stellar play.

His insertion of Khari against San Jose was a brave bold move, took San Jose by surprise and afforded us the early goal we desperately needed to come back from 2 down.

Keeping this team focused and enthusiastic has been his job as injury after injury could have seen this team fold.

Yeh we have strong leaders like Diego G and KZ on the field, but Gansler deserves an enormous amount of credit for reorganizing and bringing in the youngsters.

A championship on Sunday will be his just rewards.

11. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I think Fraser was the Defender of the Year, but Andrulis over Gansler ir retarded. Looking at the awards I'm thinking that the voting is rigged for media attention and hype.

Robin Fraser was the real coach of that team, not Andrulis who just had the title of coach.

12. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well MLS screwed us over by giving the coach of the year to Andrulis, and then they screw the Crew over by not giving rookie of the year to Marshall, who I thought was very deserving of the award.

13. Mad_Bishop

Mad_Bishop Member

Oct 11, 2000
    Columbia, MO
    I completely disagree with you. In years past I have called for his head, but those were years where we were being coached poorly (defensive shells, very questionable substitutions that didn't work, odd line-ups with skilled players riding the bench in favor of pretty worthless players.)

This year I see Bob having changed his tune, and I'm not sure how you can argue he hasn't. Sure we still have a very strong, defense oriented team, but Gansler is from the german school of thought, and we'll never get past an emphisis on defense (nor should we)and counter-attack. But this season BG has pretty much stuck to a 442, kept a very consistant lineup with skilled players in every position, and no glaring ommissions left on the bench. And when he's subbed, he's subbed smart almost everytime. I can't even think of a boneheaded substitution he's put forth this year. I'm sure there are a couple, but it's obvious that BG knows the team, they know thier roles, and the end result is a damn fine football team, and a marvelous season despite some devistating injuries.

Damn. With that all said, I fvcking love the Wizards. You hear me? I love you guys!

Now lets all get trashed in LA!

14. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    our margin of victory just went up by 2 goals on sunday

15. Steve DuBois

Steve DuBois New Member

Apr 19, 2000
    Lenexa, KS

Like hell. You will search in vain for a single word from me suggesting that Gansler be fired.

Lets hope the team takes this as an insult and uses Sunday as an opportunity to send a message.

16. Unorthodox Yank

Feb 27, 2001
    Constant Flux
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's just ********ing stupid.

I mean...c'mon.

17. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Purely temporary, I assure you.

Exactly at what point was I calling for the coach of a first place team to be canned? The fact is, 2001 was a dreary, dreadful experience. 2002 was marginally acceptable. Last year ended up being fine, but was rather painful compared to the potential of the team.

I've always respected Bob - even when I have openly called for a coaching change. And I'm sure I'll be leading the angry mob again at some point.

18. Redfoot

Redfoot New Member

Dec 19, 2002
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thats so freaking stupid, Andrulis is no where near as good a coach as Gansler. Fraser over Conrad I can see that one was close anyway. I think I disagree with about half the awards MLS gave out this year.

19. ultraviolet

ultraviolet New Member

Aug 2, 2000
    KC
    I am just ... speechless.
    There are no words for this insanity.

20. SnowyAruba

SnowyAruba New Member

Mar 22, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Andrulis was "coaching" a team that went 18 games without losing. Thats pretty impressive on the face of it, even though I think most people would agree that had less to do with Andrulis' ability and more to do with adding Murphy and Sanneh.

That being said, with the injuries, this really should have gone to Bob. All season long he has done nothing but compliment his players for the professionalism and attitude, but he deserves a lot of credit.

I've been really impressed with him over the season. He should take at least a little credit for having so many guys blossom together in one season. Jewsbury, Arnaud, even guys like Conrad, Thomas and Wolff, plus Khari stepped up big in the post season. That really says to me he did some quality coaching over the course of the season.

As for defender, well, it was a coin-flip. Fraser's a worthy winner, for sure.

21. furryogre

furryogre New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    PA
    I'm also disappointed about Coach of the Year, but I wasn't even thinking about anybody BUT Jimmy winning Defender of the Year. I thought he was a LOCK. Fewest goals surrendered, our starting goalie goes down and his backup comes in and rocks off something like 5 clean sheets? We haven't given up ONE freaking goal at home since August!!!

Okay, that's off my chest. Gotta remember, it's not the post-season awards that matter . . . it's the Stars On The Jerseys . . .

See y'all tomorrow.

22. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    Absolute and utter crap. Maybe the league just never got to see us play this year. ;)

23. POdinCowtown

POdinCowtown Member+

Jan 15, 2002
    Columbus
    Bob wuz robbed. Unfortunately, we Crew fans will have to listen to this joke of an award being cited as a reason for a contract extension :-(

24. Uppa 90

Uppa 90 Member

Jan 16, 2004
    K.C. MO
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    coach of the year would be defined as doing the best with what you have... Bob definitely did that... this is a letdown.... tomorrow we get revenge...