Coach John Hackworth Career Deathwatch Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by the Next Level, Sep 1, 2007.

1. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely!

Hackworth was handed a training facility and residency facilities and given lotsa money. He organized his program. He selected his assistants, he selected his players he trained his players. He faliled to produce the quality of players expected, his team performed miserably, he failed to get a result. He was above his head. Clearly, he was outcoached and out of his league!!!

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Put a little differently, retaining Hackworth sends the wrong message, i.e. "After all the resources invested, this is still the best we can (expect to) do." Even if one feels that group second and Round-of-16 exit was the 'par' result, three 'bad' losses and one 'bad' win - v. 10-man Belgium - left much to be desired.

So, hold Hackworth accountable and send the message, "We can do better, and we're going to try to do better."

3. coolbeans

coolbeans New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Has anyone ever seen, firsthand, Hackworth at a training session or game? I have heard that he is very negative with the players and they have no respect for him and that his "assistants" are mere puppets. I have also heard that he is already moving the 92s around on the field and has taken an excellent midfielder, Watts, and is trying to make him into a center back. I believe I've read criticism of the US National team coaches doing this in the past. Seems to me like no lessons have been learned with the U17 World Cup results, no sanctions have been imposed, and he is continuing on the same old track. Its unbelievable that he is allowed to continue to waste the money, resources, and talent available.

4. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Should I start a "Gulati call Tella NOW!!" thread?

5. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No, they don't.

I've seen Rstock and Mainz and Borussia M-gladbach and even ADO Haag ... they play with minor variations what the top teams play ... just not as well.

Lack of outside shooting isn't a problem?

30-seconds-to-cross-the-midfield "transition" game isn't a problem?

Oklie-doklie, neighborito ... but you're way off.

Like I said, top leagues don't have the same problems.

6. soccermagic0011

soccermagic0011 New Member

Aug 8, 2007
    In less than a month, Hackworthless already has earned the hate of every 92 player in the Residency program.

Rather than helping to develop a players talent, he is happy to rip them a new a$$ if they make a minor mistake, ruining each and every players confidence.

Looks like the pressure is getting to him and he is beginning to feel the heat.

7. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A fish rots from the head.

8. coolbeans

coolbeans New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Yea but he is already destroying these kids that have worked so hard to get this far. Its no wonder his teams don't produce for him. These kids don't need to be babied but they do need a leader, someone to look up to, and someone they respect.

9. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Whatever you say champ.

10. Dexter18

Dexter18 Member

Nov 16, 2004

Did you take a survey of every kid there? No, I didn't think so. You have no right to make such a ridiculous statement.

You obviously have an agenda against Hackworth. You can say what you want about him, but don't put words in the mouths of all the 92's.

11. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Care to share your agenda?

12. Dexter18

Dexter18 Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Sure, the protection of 22 kids who have to answer to that coach everyday.

13. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Well, if they need your (or anyone's) protection from Hackworth, he should be fired this evening. Right this minute, I mean. Now, this very instant!

Why hasn't this happened already?

14. Dexter18

Dexter18 Member

Nov 16, 2004
    That isn't what I am saying. It is wrong to put misinformation out there when the poster is saying it came from 22 fifteen year olds. It is just wrong, plain and simple.

15. WJMarx

WJMarx BigSoccer Supporter

May 5, 2003
    Boulder, CO
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I winter in Florida and I have been to Bradenton on many occasions. I have observed Hackworth and his staff working with the players in training and in games.

IMO Hackworth is not negative with his players, he tries to be instructive. Switching players posittions is not negative. Many of the best youth players are used at forward or central midfield positions where they can be most influential. It gets results and most youth coaches are results oriented not player oriented. At some point players must find their best spot or a coach of higher authority and responsibliity must help them to find it. In these experiments Hackworth is trying to problem solve.

For all of his best wishes Hackworth's skills and credentials are limited. Unfortunately, he has very little to offer the players in terms of skill development nor tactical awareness. He is from the old boys network which accounts for his meager skills and important job!

His assistants, aside from Mulqueen, are under fairly tight reign.

Former players, Brian Maissoneuve & Raul Diaz Arce are well respected by the players and I think generally well liked. They seem very positive and pleasant. Their pedigree guarrantees them the credibility that the other coaches lack.

Assistant Coach: Keith Fulk is limited but functional and seemingly well liked.

I do not want to deal with the tirade I caused when I voiced my opinion of Mulqueen but here goes. Although it has been pointed out that some older professional goalkeepers appreciate his coaching he is the most negative and abusive coach I have ever witnessed. IMO there is no place for Mulqueen in any youth program.

16. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some of the criticism here may be coming from disgruntled parents.
    Still, Hackworth doesn't deserve the benefit of doubt after his performance in Korea.

17. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
    Bruce Arena got fired from a bad world cup. Now, the question is, why is Hackworth still around?

Is he still around because he gets to coach another cycle, or is he around until the USSF finds a suitable replacement and then demotes him back to an assistance coaching position?

18. coolbeans

coolbeans New Member

Apr 30, 2007
    Do you remember how long it took for Arena to get fired after the WC?

19. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Very different situation, but it was officially announced on Friday, July 14, 2006. The WC Final was Sunday, July 9.

http://www.ussoccer.com/articles/viewArticle.jsp_281153.html

The key difference here may be that while Arena's USMNTcontract ran through the end of 2006, RBNY wanted him right away (and BA and US Soccer were amenable). I don't know if there was a buyout nor (if so) by whom.

Hackworth may not have a soft landing spot, he may be more resistant to leaving, etc. SG may just be letting the clock run out.

But Hackworth has to go - of that there is no doubt - and in my mind the sooner the better so we can move forward.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Well, as of today, it looks like Gulati has one more coach to fire.

Will this guy ever make a decision?

21. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/cs-070927uswomensoccer,1,1490194.story

"We're not where we were 10 years ago, but it's not because we're not better," U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati said. "It's because everyone else is investing rapidly in the game.

"Am I concerned? No."

If SG isn't concerned

[result] following perhaps the worst job of coaching in any sport at any time in history [/result]

then why should we be concerned?

22. The Blind Pig

The Blind Pig Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Section 8
    i dunno... we produce a lot of crazy ass hippie women in this country

23. xjas5

xjas5 Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Do this guy has not been fire? John Hackworthless

24. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    The Trib's writer thinks he should be concerned.

I am concerned that he isn't concerned.

If you follow his logic, the USMNT may lose 4:0 to Honduras amd Sunil would just say, "Hey, Honduras has a guy with Inter and a guy with GKS Belchatow. We can't follow that."

25. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/493216.pdf
    (scroll down)