Coach John Hackworth Career Deathwatch Thread

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by the Next Level, Sep 1, 2007.

1. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    I just pointed out the error.....

2. izha

izha Member

May 24, 2002
    You can't blame the coach if somebody who looks as a star on U-17 doesn't become a great player. You do can blame the coach if he selects the players, coaches them for two years and none of them looks as a star. Every player out of the first couple hundred has a remote chance yo get on NT. Maybe not two hundred, maybe a thousand. Conrad is a starter, Bornstein is a starter. So if by a chance one of the kids makes it (what doesn't look probable now) it won't justify the horrible coaching job. Fire today. Fire everybody.

3. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Really? Where do these youth coaches exist that can make stars? I need to become an agent.:)

4. izha

izha Member

May 24, 2002
    Holland, Argentina, Brasil, Eastern Europe. Got a passport?

5. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    He kinda walked into that one didn't he?

6. Sammy3469

Sammy3469 Member

Mar 2, 2006
    More than looking like a star, if you work with kids for 2 years, everyone on the team should have some tactical awareness (heck at this point, I'd just like one kid to show that awareness.) That's the bigger failure, a failure for which he should be shown the door. Whether its a problem in knowing what to teach the kids or inselecting kids who can absorb the lessons, it a huge breakdown and one that needs to be corrected now (i.e by hiring new coaches).

7. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    Here are the U-17 winners and the nationality of the coaches. I vote for either Brazian players or if that's not possible, a Brazilian coach.

Year Winner Coach
    2005 Mexico Mexican
    2003 Brazil Brazilian
    2001 France French
    1999 Brazil Brazilian
    1997 Brazil Brazilian
    1995 Ghana Ghanian
    1993 Nigeria Nigerian
    1991 Ghana German
    1989 Saudi Arabia Brazilian
    1987 USSR Russian
    1985 Nigeria Nigerian

8. dumpnrun

dumpnrun Member

May 30, 2006
    Gee, maybe we should look to Africa for coaches. If it's the coaches and not the players, they must have some great coaches in Ghana and Nigeria. They seem to have developed some seriously good players.

9. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Cute and tart. But incorrect. No coach can make a star. If you think that you are going to be very disappointed.

10. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, where're the posts where so many people argue that the reason Hackworth should be fired is for not making "stars"? I can't find it.

11. izha

izha Member

May 24, 2002
    Thanks. Great idea, they might bring those wonderful fully developed U12 players that we never have enough.

12. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    You do realize I hope that one can only be English by the grace of God. And that there is just no way that such a large number of people could be so blessed.

13. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Source?

I do know that from 5-17 the total number of male players in organized soccer in the U.S. is greater than the number of all males aged 5-17 in Argentina.

I couldn't imagine the dropout rate would be that pronounced, nor would I think the dropouts significantly affect the ultimate quality of our youth national teams (with a few exceptions, I'm betting most players good enough to make the youth national teams stick with the sport up until at least college).

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They sure can prevent one though. My guess is that's the fundamental problem.

If you think Ronaldinho becomes Ronaldinho under American coaching, you are mistaken.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No. Ronaldinho becomes Eddie "The Munster" Johnson.

16. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    Cleverly concealed less than 10 posts behind yours.:)

And now you change direction on me.:)

I will leave it that I think Ronaldinho is the reason that Ronaldinho is who he is.

17. the Next Level

Mar 18, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    any movement on the Hackworth issue? Or he just keeps on keeping on?

18. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Not really movement, but keeping hope alive ...

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=461670&root=us&cc=5901

Updated: Sep. 9, 2007
    Lessons to be learned from U-17 World Cup debacle

We would be remiss if we didn't wonder about Hackworth's status following his team's quick exit. Some might think it unfair to judge the coach based on four games. After all, he's charged with guiding a bunch of kids, not a group of seasoned professionals. But it's no secret that U.S. Soccer places a lot of importance on FIFA events at every level, and the suits have to be bitterly disappointed with the outcome in Korea.

It is notable that Hackworth's predecessor, John Ellinger, is unattached at the moment. The former Real Salt Lake coach resigned his position as the MLS club's technical director last month, and a return to the U-17s seems plausible. The fed has a habit of recycling coaches (see: Rongen, Thomas) and Ellinger just might be tempted to try to return if Hackworth gets the heave-ho.

I don't know what's old and what's been 'updated.'

Let's try a fresh face, please!

19. pwip

pwip Member

Jul 10, 2004
    Dallas
    Yuck! so defeated. Bradenton is just not for our top tier talents anymore.

I find our showing with our U17 program the biggest disappointment of anything the USSF has farted out. It's just Doug's opinion but even people like Gersman got really sucked in. An incredible disconnect of how we see ourselves. USSF really have to clean house and adopt a whole new culture

20. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    The fact that Hackworth hasn't resigned after this debacle shows that in addition to being a bad coach, he's a vagina too.

And I'd like to see Sunil's explanation of not canning his ass yet. I mean, Bruce got canned after a sub-par showing in Germany and he had far, far, more of a successful body of work prior to the World Cup to pad his resume.

So Arena, despite all he'd done, got canned and Hackworthless keeps his job? Certainly seems like Sunil isn't keeping him to the same standard he held Bruce.

And to be clear, I'm not saying he shouldn't have fired Arena. I'm not taking a stance on that - in this thread - one way or the other. Whether Bruce should have been fired or not isn't the point. The point is that he got canned after doing poorly in the world championship and, so far, Hackworthless hasn't.

21. Sakatei

Sakatei Member

Jun 24, 2007
    So the fact that he has not quit makes him a ....:cool:

We are now entering the Landon Donovan twilight zone.

22. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    What happened to Rongen's contract?

Did it expire automatically after the U-20 WC?

BTW, I wouldn't mind Rongen with the U-17's. But I'd prefer a real (qualified) foreigner.

23. Testudo

Testudo Member+

Jan 29, 1999
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, yes actually. Everything bad in US Soccer (at least US youth & mens' national teams) is Sunil's fault, i.e., his responsibility. Didn't he just renegotiate to get paid a whole bunch of $ to fulfill this responsibility? If Hackworth's performance is not up to snuff, Sunil could have fired him and hired someone else in advance of the tournament. We can give him a pass on that because JH was a holdover, but in the future, it's clearly Sunil's responsibility to determine whether or not Hackworth is up to the standard required by his job (ditto for everyone else that answers to him at USSF, including USMNT coaches & all the other youth teams). What else are they paying him for?

My question is: Who is the person (or who are the people) with the same level of responsibility for Sunil? To whom should US Soccer fans, particularly USSF donors, ultimately address complaints about Sunil's performance?

24. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean the guy hasn't been fired yet????? WTF is all I can muster at this point. It's just sad how low our standards are.

25. Nutmeg

Nutmeg Member+

Aug 24, 1999
    Moronic. You may be able to make a case that under better tutelage, environment, culture, etc that Johnson could be more like Henry, but he isn't even remotely similar to a Ronaldinho type player.

And all reports I can find have Hackworth currently starting his hack job on the next group of Bradenton residents. In other words, he's still here.