Coach Behavior

Discussion in 'Women's College' started by Eddie K, Oct 3, 2022.

1. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No. You are missing the point.

Bad people exist. Every profession. Why should anyone be surprised there are bad people in coaching? AND, I can’t say it’s more or less than any other profession. Because…bad people exist.

And, they will continue to exist. There’s no way around keeping bad people out of coaching. Because…there are bad people who do some of the hiring. There are also bad people who help cover things up.

Do you really think these bad coaches care about any of this “added” responsibility? C’mon now.

Collegewhispers repped this.
  2. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Every coach had heard about what took place at University of Miami, but still did what they could to keep their friend in coaching and continue to do so today. He is a bad guy, and bad people helped to cover it up, and still carry on as if it is normal. Bad people do exist.

3. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    What exactly happened there? They’ve had multiple coaches in the past decade is all I know.

4. Collegewhispers

Collegewhispers Member+

Oct 27, 2011
    Club:
    Columbus Crew

Bad people do exist. As pointed out they exist in every profession. Hopefully we continue to make things better.

5. Tash Deliganis

Jan 16, 2022
    I think the prior poster is referring to TA, the HC at Miami around 2012. He was known throughout FL to be verbally abusive on and off the field. There were also complaints of physical abuse. The clubs in our area refused contact with him. A quick google seems to suggest that scandal has continued to follow this one around.

6. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From the Yates report:
    "Our investigation has revealed a league in which abuse and misconduct -- verbal and emotional abuse and sexual misconduct -- had become systemic, spanning multiple teams, coaches, and victims," the summary of the investigation's findings says. "Abuse in the NWSL is rooted in a deeper culture in women's soccer, beginning in youth leagues, that normalizes verbally abusive coaching and blurs boundaries between coaches and players."

7. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    Sexual as well.

8. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    False - guy got paid for over 4 years from Miami after being let go. Anything physical, let alone sexual would have been fired for cause.

I've heard 100 different stories about what happened there and every time his name gets brought up on here the story changes. He's worked at 3 power 5 schools as an assistant since then, as well as being a HC at a mid major and a power 5. That is a lot of people willing to put their job on the line, if I am an AD or a HC no way I am hiring him without getting details from someone of what actually happened.

9. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    TA has had a checkered coaching history which appears to be initially supported by fellow coaches who take him in.

*His first college job was at Central Michigan (assistant 2007, interim head 2008, head coach 2009-2010).
    *Head coach at Miami (Florida) 2011 and abruptly fired after the 2013 season (even after achieving a great turnaround in the W-L).
    *Volunteer Assistant Coach at Michigan 2015.
    *Assistant Coach at NC State 2016. (But not now found on the NCSU 2016 staff page).
    *Head Coach at Mississippi State 2017 and "resigned" after a very successful 2018 season. (Later quoted as loving being at MSU.)
    *Head Coach at UIC 2019 and fired after a successful 2020 season.
    *Associate Head Coach at Cincinnati 2021. (Praised by the head coach, who was an assistant under TA at CMU, as someone he trusts and respects.)

10. winwinchick

winwinchick Member

Celta Vigo
    United States
    Nov 13, 2019
    So much learned at Central Michigan.

11. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    This guy was fired from each place and yet no public knowledge of any reasons exist? I don’t get it.

12. Tash Deliganis

Jan 16, 2022
    And that question is similar to the suggestions in the Yates report. I think of it as pushing it off to someone/somewhere else so they can wash their hands of it.

2233soccer repped this.
  13. ThePonchat

ThePonchat Member+

#ProRelForUSA
    United States
    Jan 10, 2013
    I've Been Everywhere Man
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It’s rather simple, there’s a lot that cannot be talked about during “resignations.”

Lawsuits happen when people talk.

14. cpthomas

cpthomas BigSoccer Supporter

Portland Thorns
    United States
    Jan 10, 2008
    Portland, Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This has been true. To be blunt, those involved have chosen avoiding risks over stopping the abuse.

15. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    The two year pattern goes on...

As noted on the Hot Seat page, nine days ago, the Cincinnati AD announced that the head coach Neil Stafford (whose contract was not yet up) was being let go and that a national search was beginning immediately for a replacement. What was not said in the announcement was that Associate Head Coach (Aganost) was also being let go. The assistant coach who was hired last July with 3 seasons of coaching experience, is now the Interim Head Coach.

16. Cantcoach

Cantcoach Member

Barcelona
    United States
    Dec 29, 2017
    Aganost probably cost Stafford his job.

17. Soccerhunter

Soccerhunter Member+

Sep 12, 2009
    Yea, that's possible.

18. SpeakeroftheHouse

PSG
    Italy
    Nov 2, 2021
    I find it difficult to believe that any school would hire someone who had been let go in short order from multiple jobs, regardless of the reason.

19. outsiderview

outsiderview Member

Oct 1, 2013
    Charlotte
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think you may be off, but I know there are some people out there that allow Aganost to live rent free in their heads.

Word on the street is AD saw an opportunity to grab a coach in the same city who has been very successful the last couple of years to lead them in to the new conference. Seems there could be a bidding war for NL at Xavier. Well deserved for him, and either way he should come out on top. Stafford was told they want to win more and going to the Big12 they think there needs to be new direction. If they do get their target, you would expect that to get done very soon.

20. LimestoneKid

LimestoneKid Member

Edmonton Drillers
    Canada
    Dec 22, 2022
    What was the end result of this situation?

As of January 2nd, Carla Tejas is still listed as the HC at UTPB

21. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
  22. LimestoneKid

LimestoneKid Member

Edmonton Drillers
    Canada
    Dec 22, 2022
    So weird! Elmer is listed as the men's assistant coach on the school's website but in the bio he's listed as a women's assistant coach. Who knows whether PSA look at that sort of stuff but if they do, it should be seen as a definite red flag.

https://utpbfalcons.com/staff-directory/elmer-zelaya/245

23. 2233soccer

2233soccer Member

United States
    Sep 13, 2020
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The PR statement is coming out soon - announcing her as a new US Soccer coach- will be helping out with the YNT

24. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Does the USMNT team shed light on what is at play here? Soccer in the US is the most entitled group of people around. The pay to play from a young age paired with the culture in this country has produced this. AT OUR NATIONAL TEAM LEVEL! It is embarrassing. She had the information about her friends for 30 years and only used it once it benefitted her?

There are some bad apples in coaching. We have experienced some. The systemic problem is as much with soccer parents as it is with anything else. Rant over.

25. Eddie K

Eddie K Member+

May 5, 2007
    Follow up-
    So a coach is confirmed to have continued coaching after getting a red card, playing an ineligible player, and had a dui arrest and “Welcome Back coach” ???

Texas Permian Basin WSOC Tejas will return from paid administrative leave after a four-month investigation into allegations made by student-athletes of NCAA infractions and inappropriate behavior. UTPB indicates it found only one claim credible, per KMID, which reports “numerous” individuals privately corroborated the claims to the station. Claims included coaching through a suspension and allowing an ineligible student-athlete to participate. Tejas was arrested for DUI in September.

https://www.yourbasin.com/news/utpb-carla-tejas-to-remain-womens-soccer-coach/