CNN Breaking News: Powell resigns

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Barbara, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I had seriously high hopes that Powell could do some of the "uniting" that Bush had so fondly talked about. Oh how wrong I was.

2. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    The only surprise here is that he didn't wait for Rummy to do it first. I guess Rummy will resign in the next week or so as well.

3. Northcal19

Northcal19 New Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Celtic Tavern LODO (
    Oh my Gawd. Please not Wolfie..... :eek:

4. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bush is out of control - witness the CIA soap opera. It wouldn't surprise me at all if he tries to put Wolfowitz or someone equally deranged over at State.

5. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    McCain for State, Franks for Defense.

6. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Powell was very bad at his job, but there are so many that would be much, much worse. Condi, Wolfie, Miller, .... I will miss Powell. He was inept, but predictable.

7. cnoc

cnoc New Member

Dec 19, 1999
    up the airy mountain
    McCain/Powell '08

8. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If only. You are vastly overestimating the popularity of McCain among those who are running the country.

9. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Powell won't be playing second fiddle to anyone after this.

In all seriousness, if Dick Cheney eventually leaves for health reasons, I think McCain has a chance to be selected for the spot.

10. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Powell will be 71 4 years from now. I don't think he's interested in Vice President.

11. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Screw McCain. I lost all respect for him when he fellated Bush.

12. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Promoting Condoleezza Rice would be the most disgracefully offensive act any President has done in the history of the Republic.

13. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    Oh come on. I heard some guy once got a bj in a pantry or something.

But like some poster mentioned earlier, if you are part of a catastrophic success, the least you deserve is a promotion.

14. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    I just remembered. I read something last week about Powell, if he resigned, may be made president of the World Bank.

15. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, because Bush is obviously looking for independent voices.

16. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Clinton could have gotten one during his second inaugual address, AND made a reference to "Police Academy" while doing it, and it still wouldn't be as big a disgrace.

17. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Powell should've quit. History would have judged him a lot higher, IMO.

Woflie? Yech!

18. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Slate piece on why Powell had to go (duh) and why he didn't resign/wasn't fired earlier: http://slate.msn.com/id/2109772/fr/rss/

Also, on Condi as successor:
    The good news: Rice is among Bush's closest advisers, so foreign leaders will at least know that her words reflect the views of the president. Her appointment may also provide, at least in the short term, a morale boost among foreign service officers—a note of compensation for the departure of their cherished Powell that the State Department is now run by someone who has the president's ear and trust.

The bad news: In her four years as national security adviser, Rice has displayed no imagination as a foreign-policy thinker. She was terrible—one of the worst national security advisers ever—as a coordinator of policy advice. And to the extent she found herself engaged in bureaucratic warfare, she was almost always outgunned by Vice President Dick Cheney or Rumsfeld. Last year, for instance, the White House issued a directive putting her in charge of policy on Iraqi reconstruction; the directive was ignored. If Rumsfeld and his E-Ring gang survive the Cabinet shake-up, Rice may wind up every bit as flummoxed as her predecessor.

19. Roel

Roel Member

Jan 15, 2000
    Santa Cruz mountains
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I once got advice when doing a tech start-up. Only hire "A" players, because they hire "A" players, who hire "A" players, who actually do the work to make a company successful. If you hire a "B" player, they go and hire "C" players, who hire "D" players, who kill the company.

W is a "C" player. Condi is "D" player. What else can we expect?

20. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Should have, but he had a private sector career to look after. That means playing the "good soldier" to a President who ignores him and giving tongue baths to mainland China.

21. Footer Phooter

Jul 23, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    MSNBC just reported that's what he's doing.

22. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    As mentioned on NPR, only two sec of state have resigned "in protest". I would suggest that this is basicly a cultural thing. In the UK you can see the battles they have in the parlament and the resignations come easily after feeling get hurt. William Jennings Bryan didn't want to enter (WWI) war and Cyrus Vance had conflicts with Jimmy Carter over the hostages in Iran. A simple look at things, but that should get you on the right track.

The good soldier moniker fits well, but if I were Mr. Powell, I'd resent it. It just makes him seem so weak, mindless, etc. I have heard that a General is equilivant to a CEO. In fact, CEOs call the shots while generals still have bosses and some of them have no military experience and may have been elected into office. So, he moves into the administration, to make that policy that in terms, was his boss, to find even more bosses. He was used for two elections, burned his political capital and even declared to be a Rebulican.

This job is 24/7 for sure. He deserves some "me" time.

I'm not checking my spelling today! :D

23. Georgio

Georgio New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Canada
    So with each successive appointment comes less responsibilility for the Secretary of State. Is this a way of minimizing the power and influence of a person in that role and maximizing the power of the president? Sounds like an attractive standard to be set for upcoming presidents.

24. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Condi is certainly less competent, but I expect her to have more responsibility than Powell.

Powell was a political choice, a popular, uncontroversial guy Bush needed to put in a cabinet position. Rice on the other hand is hand picked by Bush. She will be anything but Ms. Irrelevant like Powell.

25. Georgio

Georgio New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Canada
    So what will her relevance be beyond that of Powell's? She did not seem to publicly spout off one original thought, nor plan of action as National Security Advisor. I definately can not envision her rallying support for something that requires real convincing, like bringing other Cabinet members or the President on board with a certain action ie. Powell going to the UN with the WMD case. She appears 'book smart' and not particularly statesman like, more the sort to be marginalized by opposing forces within the administration. Not the type to garner respect by the world community in the way that Powell did when he walks in a room to make a speech and the World listens, even if it is rubbish. More of a worker bee then a leader. Here are your tasks, get at em.

But that's just my impression and it seems to be in line with the skepticism creeping into the news.