CNN Breaking News: Powell resigns

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Barbara, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not all that surprising. The question is, was it forced or voluntary?

3. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not in the least surprising. And I think this one is mutual -- Powell's had it with fighting uphill for the past four years, and Bush has had it with a SecState who is too politically popular to fire but doesn't share his world vision.

4. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    I'd have to say voluntary as all signs point to him being ready to get the hell out of Dodge. I don't think they'd force him out as he is the only member of the administration widely accepted. But then again, that's mirror imaging as rational thought does not play with this admin. So, I'd say mostly Powell was ready to leave, and Cheney, et. al are happy to see him go.

Also, let's engage in the typical BS.com speculation. I'd say it's even between Danforth and Rice.

5. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Danforth is a good guy; wouldn't mind that too much. Rice would be a global joke.

6. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]
    Ayup

7. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    Are you sure that's not a pic of the recently deceased Big Baby Jesus, aka Dirt McGirt, aka ODB? I could only focus on the teeth and that is what makes me ask.

8. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    More good news for Old Europe, I see.

:D

9. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not even a discussion of Powell's statist, militarist, murderous nature, and how that nature is the moderate side of BushCorp (no longer) can dampen the fact that D.C. United are 4-time champions of Major League Soccer.

10. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good riddance. Powell was useless as SOS.

Get ready for another war-mongerin', crusade-lovin', uber-protestant. Someone to prop up Bush's appeal for both militaristic, raghead hatin', bomb-throwin' democrats and to run-of-the-mill reeeepublikins.

Zell Miller, anyone?

11. bmurphyfl

bmurphyfl Member

Jun 10, 2000
    VT
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Bush was serious about bridging the political gap in America, he could appoint Biden to the job. But since he only pays lip-service to such ideas, he'll appoint a red-meat Reep and point to Minetta when asked about partisanship.

12. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bush made Powell a eunuch early on; certainly not Powell's fault.

I was just thinking whether Wolfowitz might get the nod.

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    They're going to need one hell of a firehose to wash away the stench of lies on Mr. Powell now that he's back in the public sector.

14. Benito

Benito Red Card

Aug 25, 2004
    Biden would be a good choice if he can keep what goes on in the cabinet to himself. He probably would be a leak. There are many like him in the republican party that can do the job just as good and would not leak info.

15. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    I have a feeling that by quitting, he may have taken the first step in that rehabilitation. He also has the Clarke/O'Neill precedent of "What the hell else could I do - no one would listen to me?" and his famous "Pottery Barn Doctrine" to fall back on for credibility.

But I agree that he traded in a ton of his personal credibility the day he took the case for war to the UN. A sad day in American history, in retrospect, for so many reasons. He didn't actually convince the UN to completely agree with Bush, succeeded in making the case to a hawkish nation that some of the justifications for the war were real, damaged his own credibility as an individual, damaged his standing as our chief diplomat, inadvertantly (in retrospect) damaged the credibility of the US intelligence community ... anything else?

Adlai Stevenson would not be amused.

16. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The US democratic government's current motto:

"We work best when you don't know."

Transparency does a (citizen) body good.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The last 25 years of Kissinger's life tell me it won't be that hard. A spit bath would do it.

18. Quaker

Quaker Member+

FC Dallas
    Apr 19, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been rumored for quite some time that Powell didn't want to serve more than one term as Secretary of State. The resignations of Powell and several others (Paige, Education; Abrahams, Energy; Veneman, Agriculture) are expected to be announced today. That means six out of fifteen cabinet posts will change so far.

19. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    No suprises here. Powell was saying way back when he was named SoS that he'd probably only do one term anyway. The last four years just made keeping that promise a lot easier I'm sure.

God, I shudder to think who'll get the nod. Sure the administration must nominate someone with some gravitas and credibility if only to avoid being literally laughed out of town in most countries.

I've heard the name of U.N. Abassador, John Danforth. That's a typical gong for the UN guy. Problem is Danforth has like, three years' foreign policy experience.

20. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    John Breaux will be taking energy. He'll be our new Democrat.

Minetta's a waste.

21. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy crap, it's going to be Condi, according to CNN. I can't believe it -- this is like Bora getting to coach the Nats again.

22. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not terribly surprised. She's been a loyal lap dog for the last three years.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Remember back in the day when she was given the job of coordinating Iraq policy? I guess her catastrophic success deserves a promotion.

24. monop_poly

monop_poly Member

May 17, 2002
    Chicago
    Powell was terrible. What a disappointment. He allowed State to be run over by the DOD. If he had an ounce of credibility as the centrist independent voice that was his tagline when named Secretary of State, he would have resigned two years ago, rather than carry Bush's water to the UN.

Powell's role was absolutely central in bringing stifling opposition viewpoints and shoring up US public opinion for the pointless and politically naive Iraq war. He is as responsible as Rumsfeld or Cheney or Bush, maybe more so. That will be his one legacy. Thanks for nothing, Colin.

25. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just another step on the road to "Condoleeza" entering our vernacular as the female equivalent of "Uncle Tom".