CMGI Field To Be Re-named

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Aug 3, 2002.

1. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Schaeffer Stadium was by far the best of a bad series of names.

-Sullivan Stadium - a tribute to a giant ego?
    -Foxboro Stadium - so visiting fans would know what to look for on the map?
    -CMGI - no less anonymous than anything else, a tribute to mindless branding.
    -Schaeffer - a tribute to crappy beer drinking. Pretty appropriate, if you ask me!

Gillette sounds pretty boring and dumb, another corporate dinosaur. But, at least it's Boston's corporate dinosaur, eh?

2. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    maybe in honor of the new field sponsor and the revs possibly finishing in a worse position than last season....forget the MLS Cup, the revs are clear front runners to win the coveted 2002 ATRA-phy.
    ba-dum-bum!

(get it? a trophy...atrophy...ATRA-phy)

thank ya, thank ya....drive home safely
    :)

3. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    My hopes and dreams of a Harpoon Field are dashed, DASHED!

4. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I don't get it, didn't you call it Chapter 11 because of CMGI's financial troubles. Now that they're out, do you still call it Chapter 11?

5. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wasn't the slogan for Schaeffer, "The Beer to have when you can't have just one," or something like that? That's a great slogan for the Revs ... "The team to have, when you can't lose just once."

Monster Stadium is still my favorite!

6. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    Victor Kiam is now officially dead.

Dave

7. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Schaeffer slogan was "the one beer to have when you're having more than one"

In other words, the only reason to drink it was to get hammid.

But I really have to laugh at the idiots at CMGI or any company for that matter who spend good money naming a stadium after themselves. CMGI was at 165 a couple of years ago, and what is it now, 38 cents?

And Sonny Kraft counts David Weatherill (CMGI CEO) as one of his best friends, and the Krafts were big shareholders, so maybe that's another reason why money is a little tighter than they expected it to be.

Tom

8. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    This is truer than you know. The Krafts took a beating on CMGI and similar investments. If the Patriots hadn't come through, times would be very, very tight in Kraft-land.

9. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Re. Chapter 11..... As far as I know the companies the Krafts own actually make stuff (the paper products), or play games(the sports teams), etc. CMGI, like so many other folks in "information technology" never made anything, including money. What surprises me is that hard-headed people like Bob Kraft actually invested in CMGI. That smacks of Bobby Grier, Pete Carroll and Sunil Gulati. Maybe there is a parallel here but, at the least, Chapter 11 is still a reasonable name for ANY stadium naming rights scam.

JIM DOW

10. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    Fair enough. I must say King C. Gillette Stadium rolls off your tongue a lot better than College Marketing Group Incorporated Field. College Marketing? Does this company actually do anything?

11. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now they can hand out razor blades instead of Revs bumper stickers!!! Gotta love the Mach 3!

12. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I interviewed with them a while back (good thing I chose the other job!), and it seemed at the time their main business was running an online marketplace for computer components and electronic parts. I think they moved from there to becoming .com acquisiton company and, in hindsight, we all know where that kind of strategy would lead.

13. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    i got a kick out of jonathan kraft yesterday on sports radio telling people that they should get out to a revs game to see the stadium if they can't get to a pats game or the stones.

weei: "next home game?"

j.k.: "uh.....you know i just saw that date around here somewhere....its, uh, auuuuuuguuuuust...."

meterparel: "its the 18th."

j.k: "right, the 18th. you can go to ticketmaster for tix or visit www.nerevolution.com for more info"

well, lucky for him that site still works (even if its almost 2 years gone by)....but, i dont even think the links outta' that front page work when you use it.

the young one should spend a little more time watching those ads during the game methinks.
    (where they advertise the website)

14. RevFan17

RevFan17 New Member

Jul 6, 2001
    Another sad example of Revs (mis)management. The owner of the team doesn't even know the website address, which I imagine goes for most of the staff that works for both the Patriots and Revs (the little red headed stepchild).

Doesn't even come prepared to know when the next home game is. Terrible.

But at least we can get all the rejects from the Patriots games to come and look at the stadium....that's a great way to word our advertising. "Can't see a Patriots game, but want to see the new stadium? Come see the Revolution!"
    I guess this has been their selling strategy all season.

15. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Despite a willingness to pay thanks to the Krafts for having brought and kept Div I footie here I just wish they would 1.) do their goddamned homework about a team the OWN and 2.) shut up when they have nothing of consequence to say. 3.) fix the idiot website. Come on guys, pay attention to your basic obligations as owners.

JIM DOW

16. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    I'm starting to identify with the SJ fans who occasionally post on our boards about how the Krafts screwed up their soccer team. Stop complaining, we'd say. If it weren't for the Krafts, you might not have a team. True, they'd say, although every move they made screwed up SJ soccer a little more, and thing immediately improved after they left. The fact that we have an MLS team in the area now constitutes about 70% of the posts that praise the Revs management, and about 80% of the posts that defend the personnel/stadium issues.

17. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    .....of course, he said that he felt the stadium was worth the "price of admission".

huh?...what does that make the revs worth then?