CMGI Field To Be Re-named

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Aug 3, 2002.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Courtesy of Boston.com

"BREAKING SPORTS NEWS: CMGI Field, the new stadium the Patriots have built in Foxborough, will be renamed Gillette Stadium, WBZ-TV sports director Bob Lobel reported Friday night. The Gillette Co., headquartered in South Boston, apparently will assume the 15-year, $120 million naming rights deal for the stadium from ailing Andover-based Internet company CMGI."

The Magpie

2. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gillette Stadium? Ick.

Maybe it'll grow on me.

3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may not be as easy on the tongue as before but it's for a product that most of us men use and have had a rerlationship with for years. Yup, more better. But then my first choice for renaiming would have been "Ben and Jerrys Stadium".

4. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In light of the Rev's track record, I think "The Waffle House Field" would have suit them better.

5. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad it's won't be "Building 19 Stadium" since their motto is "good things cheap" The "things" we've seen there so far have been neither good nor cheap!

The only thing better than "Ben & Jerry's Stadium" would be "Guiness Stadium"

6. John Lewis

John Lewis New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Boston
    I like Gillette Stadium. It lends itself to funny nicknames like, "The Razor." How many times do you think you're going to read this headline in the Globe: "Pats can't find cutting edge at home?"

7. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Well, razors are a whole hell of a lot more important to our daily lives (men, women, the lot) than obscurely named e scams that proport to do cool stuff that no one wants or needs. But still, the now Boro will always be just that, the New 'Boro or Chapter 11, or maybe now, "The Big Buyout."

Perhaps a seperate thread but did anybody notice the short piece in the Globe last week about the possibility of converting the New 'Boro for baseball if and when Fenway is shut down for rehab? Then we could really have some names, plus the very, very worst pitch in the league.

JIM DOW

8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I got dibbs on the big CMGi logo.

9. Ross

Ross Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Straight outta Qtown
    Oh Boy

What'll be the Gillette giveaways? Probably not razors, too "dangerous." Pens? Right Guard? Toothbrushes? The possibilities are endless!

10. Hobobob

Hobobob New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Ben and Jerry's Stadium is a great suggestion. If they wanted to keep the name somewhat similar they could go with IHOP Field. Do you think they'll rename all the stuff in the stadium? So you'll watch the replays on the Gilletron and buy a creamy cup of gillete-o at the concession stands (only after you eat your gilly dog of course).

11. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Oh Boy

BATTERIES!!!!!

Imagine the Rev's crumbling on Duracell Battery Night! Those bench shields will have been worth the investment.

12. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Foamy Field?

God help us if they go with the "Venus I'm a Soccer Goddess" promotion as experienced at Nickerson....although it would fit well with some past and present Revs...

I would rather see Samuel Adams(not LIGHT) Field....I like the Guiness Field suggestion (although I prefer Young's Double Chocolate Stout....yummmmm).

Pens can be weapons too...and imagine the chaos batteries raining down on the field would cause...shaving cream fights...hmmmmmm........

Right Guard just lends itself to many obvious "stink" jokes....so I'm guessing that's how they go....

13. Blathist

Blathist New Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Foxboro
    Stupid companies buying naming rights. I think they should change it back to Foxboro Stadium. Anyone with me on this?

14. JohnnyRev

JohnnyRev Member

Feb 23, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Better Gillette than Shick, I guess.

Can you imagine Shick House?

15. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can think of about 120 million reasons why Kraft would like to name his new playpen something other than Foxboro Stadium.

16. Popero

Popero Member

Jul 5, 2002
    CT
    I guess Gilette is better than CMGI.

Though corporate naming rights really get on my nerves. The main reason I'd like the Sox to stay in Fenway.

17. Tony Biscaia

Tony Biscaia Member

Feb 17, 1999
    It will never happen, but the new name could be "Shaver Stadium" - in honor of the original name, "Schaeffer Stadium."

18. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
  19. Feldspar

Feldspar Member+

Nov 19, 1998
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope, the stadium name is between the sponsor and Kraft. It has nothing to do with MLS or its sponsorships. Unless Gilette invests in MLS, you're not going to see them on any jerseys any time soon.

20. MrSangster

MrSangster Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Duxbury,MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But you will see Gillette names plastered all over the place. "The Turbo Mach 3 exit" from the Ford Taurus parking lot. "The Foamy" entrance near the Fidelity investments club house, "The Right Guard" Mens bathrooms, "The Venus " womens bathrooms, "The Duracell" scoreboard above the McDonalds concession stands,etc., etc., etc..... ad nauseum...

21. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    I just hope Kraft saw fit to name a toilet after Tom Finneran.

22. moacir

moacir New Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Figueira da Foz, PT
    Will Gillette invest in MLS?

I t would make sense that the REvs would be sponsored by Gillette.

...I know having BIC as the sponsor was just as having Budweiser sponsor Colorado and Pepsi Atlaanta (if they had one team).

I never called it CMGi before and I don't see any reason to call Gillette now unless they are a MLS supporter. Gillette like Coca Cola and McDonalds are heavy supporters of soccer in other countries and never did much in the US.

23. Jim Dow

Jim Dow New Member

Mar 20, 1999
    Belmont, MA
    Great point Moacir! If the sponsor for naming rights visibly supports soccer, then I'm happy to call the stadium by that particular corporate name. Otherwise it is Chapter 11 or the New Boro for me.

JIM DOW

24. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    I would have bet that anything that Fidelity would have snapped up the naming rights. But I guess the market meltdown probably cooled the Johnsons' desire to part with extra cash.

25. Danizinho

Danizinho New Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Does this mean they'll be passing out free razors?

PATRIOTS CALL A 5:00 P.M. NEWS CONFERENCE FOR A MAJOR ANNOUNCEMENT TODAY AT CMGI FIELD

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - The New England Patriots have called a press conference today at 5:00 p.m. at CMGI Field for a major news announcement. All news media are encouraged to attend.

What: Press Conference with Patriots Owner Robert Kraft
    When: Monday, Aug. 5, 2002
    Time: 5:00 p.m.
    Where: CMGI Field