CM - championship manager

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by risbinroch, Oct 10, 2003.

1. risbinroch

risbinroch New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Norway
    Does anyone out there in the US play CM - championship manager? The greatest soccer game of all times...

Well anyways, so so so sorry that the next version won't include the american leagues... for some legal reasons - whatever that may means...

I have played in the american league of all versions of cm, since they included the mls in the game. The most interesting part was the different structure from other leagues around the world. And I'm almost cursing now, that it won't be in the next games...

Anyone else feels the same?

2. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    It is a damn shame!!! it will be the first CM game that i wont purchase

3. risbinroch

risbinroch New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Norway
    Can't really see why neither? Is it MLS that has put their feet down? Why? It's free advertising... And gets more people interesting in american soccer (or what it really is: football)

I for instance, had never ever been interested in american soccer before playing it in CM, and I always thinked that if I was ever going to the states (which I hope I will do someday) I will surely watch an MLS game...

4. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This might be up there with the dumbest decisions ever made by MLS (Yes I know that is a bold statement)

Having MLS and MLS players in the worlds best selling computer game is priceless free advertising for both our league and our players.

So stupid and shortsighted by MLS.

Reminds me of similar stupidity by the NHL in the early days of the NHL series by EA sports.

DUMB

DUMB

DUMB

5. Kronos

Kronos Member

Sep 11, 2002
    California
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, the worlds best selling soccer series is EA Sports FIFA series, of which EA does carry the MLS license.

But to get back on track. I remember reading this a while back, but I don't think the issue is with MLS at all. Need to dig for some hard facts...

6. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Should the blame be placed on MLS or on the new players' union?

7. metro1026

metro1026 New Member

Jan 21, 1999
    Swamps of Jersey
    I'm a huge fan of the CM series. I even did some researcher work for them back for CM# 01/02. I set the ratings for all the MetroStars players. I've bought every game since 1999 and if they don't include MLS this year, this will be the first version of CM that I will not buy sice then. Maybe we can find out who is to blame and flood them with e-mails?

8. Tony Cheval

Tony Cheval New Member

Mar 17, 2000
    Colorado
    Wait, is this the CM 03/04 that's coming out next month? There's other issues about this version, it's basically the 'this is what CM 4 SHOULD'VE been, now piss off, Eidos' game. Can't imagine why they wouldn't at least use the old info from CM4 for the US teams, at least.

9. blueedge

blueedge New Member

May 6, 2003
    S.C.
    After this next installment, Eidos and SI games are going their own ways, SI games owns the game engine, and Eidos owns the name. So who really knows whats in the future for the game,although both plan to release their own version.

10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Ironically, I had stopped by at the local Fry's Electronics store the other day and noticed that they're selling Championship Manager 4 on the PC game shelves! :eek:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp Wasn't that game not scheduled to be sold on North American soil (not that I'm complaining, though)? :confused:

-G

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What evidence do you have that this is MLS' decision?????

Let's at least have a trial before we render the verdict, OK? I am so, so, so tired of the knee jerk MLS bashing for every single thing that goes against the league. It's childish.

My speculation is that this is related to the union negotiations. My basis for that speculation is that that is the only thing different know that I can think of, that might affect this.

12. TheAtomicBull

TheAtomicBull New Member

Dec 18, 2002
    Rochester, MN
    How do we know this wasn't a USSF decision?

According to SI's statement they're removing ALL US LEAGUES. The a-League was in CM4, and I doubt MLS headquarters has a ton of influence over their league.

13. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Agreed. It's a very very bad decision by whoever dimwits in charge.

A lot of foreigners know everything about US soccer because of CM. They know all the stars becoming out of U21. They know some A league players who even most Americans know nothing about.

CM also got me interested in leagues outside of US and England.

CM doesn't sell a whole lot in US. You can't expect to get a lot of money for the right in US. It's better to get some money than nothing at all. It's poor negotiating.

14. mbar

mbar Member+

Apr 30, 1999
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps I jumped the gun assuming it was MLS' decision.

It seems it ould have to be either MLS or the USSF. In either case, the decision was a poor one.

15. UxSxAxfooty

UxSxAxfooty Member+

Jan 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yup, SI and Eidos lost my money.

I had CM4 preordered from the UK. Love that game.