News: Club World Cup to Expand; Confederations Cup to End

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Sep 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. It's called FOOTBALL

LMX Clubs
    Mexico
    May 4, 2009
    Chitown
    Yall ain't cosigning this absolutely ridiculous plan, are you

This really would be absolutely terrible, please don't support the lunacy. It's already a tourney of 1000 teams, this wouldn't be expansion, it would be redundancy.

Do you really wanna see a non uefa CL champion not take the CL seriously since they're already qualified to the CWC. Do you really wanna see teams that are completely different from the one who won their CL, in the CWC. Do you wanna see a player qualify with 2 teams, having to play with the latter, with which was a less memorable run

Imagine Messi wins the CL with Barca in a memorable and historic last hurrah. Then the next year he wins it again as a sub with Monaco. He'll go to the CWC with Monaco, not Barca. Just ridiculous.

Imagine America wins the CCL, then the next year is in the CCL again, but prioritises the league because the CWC ticket is already punched. Leading to a much lesser team winning it all.

Think, guys. This plan is a disgrace to club football. Rally against it.

unclesox, EvanJ and AlbertCamus repped this.
  2. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. Imagine if there was a domestic champion, Champions League winner, and Club World Cup winner that were three clubs from the same country. What I might like is if FIFA threatens to make a big summer Club World Cup and the confederations (especially UEFA) make a deal to offer FIFA some of the Champions League revenue in exchange for FIFA not expanding the Club World Cup.

3. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    I don't have a problem with this proposal but call it something else.

The Intercontinental Cup is now part of CWC history. Let it be.

5. guri

guri Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    Nope, they're talking about the real thing, between the Champions and the Libertadores winner. One game.

The other cup is in addition to it. Read again.

6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Point taken. Mind you, CONMEBOL has not yet met a Supercup they wouldn't turn down (see: the old Interamericana, or the current Suruga Bank Cup between the Sudamericana winner and the J.League winner), but it would be ridiculous to suggest an actual return to the Intercontinental Cup while the CWC is alive and breathing, a tacit admission that South American teams can't waltz their way into the CWC final anymore.

unclesox repped this.
  7. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The Japanese team at the Suruga Cup is actually the J. League Cup winner (the least important domestic trophy in Japan after the Emperor's Cup)

Paul Calixte repped this.
  8. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    FIFA’s Confederations Cup has uncertain future after Russia
    I'm starting to get the gut-feeling that we may see one more edition of the Confederations Cup before it is discontinued. China 2021.

9. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
  10. Unak78

Unak78 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 17, 2007
    PSG & Enyimba FC
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Nigeria
  11. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
  12. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    The June/July window just got busier:
    http://www.eurosport.com/football/a...onal-summer-tournament_sto6258543/story.shtml
    While I generally support both these moves I really wish they would have cut down the frequency to quadrennial. Even more so than the timing.

shizzle787, unclesox and BocaFan repped this.
  13. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Having a tournament every two years (along with the qualifiers) helps with FIFA rankings.

14. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    San Jose, CA / Zagreb, Croatia
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Sweet Lord. Is there some sort of madness virus that affects those confederations? Why are all of them expanding? What the fuk? Seriously? Yes, there is parity in CAF, they could accommodate 32-team tournament as there are many contenders, much more than in other confeds, but this is crazy.

BocaFan repped this.
  15. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    And FIFA rankings don't mean jack-shit except 6 months before a World cup.

Anyway, I'm surprised about the move to June-July. Wasn't the issue always weather? How are they going to deal with that, especially if any of the North Saharan countries are hosting?

16. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They matter in the draws for qualifying. For Africa's Group Stage, the bottom Pot 1 team and the top Pot 2 team were consecutive, the bottom Pot 2 team and the top Pot 3 team were consecutive, and the bottom Pot 3 team and top Pot 4 team had one team in between. If Cameroon was one spot higher, the group with Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon, and Zambia would have been impossible.

AlbertCamus and Paul Calixte repped this.
  17. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    It shouldn't be an issue - Egyptian league ended last week, in mid-July, so it's playable. Algerian league ended in mid June. They (North Africa teams) regularly play CAF Champions League during June and July. Western Africa has leagues played during summer (Angola - OK, that's southern country :D, Nigeria, Ivory Coast, Ghana).

Matches could be played later than usual (first match at 20:00 instead 17:00 hrs) to solve high temperatures issue but that would mean that some matches would be played simultaneously (three matches a day).

P.S. Head of Guinean FA (Guinea to host CAN 2023) rejected playing in summer slot due to rain season there after FIFA (or CAF) proposed them to do it as WC would be played in late 2022, month or two before 2023 CAN would start.

It will be interesting to follow this.

18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I'm not proposing getting rid of the ACN. I just wish they had it once every 4 years. I'm even fine with it being 24 teams and then those results would still influence seeding for the WC qualifying.

19. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, temperatures usually cool off alot at night in desert regions. While they could play every match at night, realistically that isn't gonna happen (whereas I'm guessing the CAF CL games are played under the lights(?)).

20. dinamo_zagreb

dinamo_zagreb Member+

Jun 27, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Earliest kick-off this season was 18:00 local on 9 July. During Ramadan they kick-off at 23:00 or 00:00 or even 01:00. It is likely that CAN would be played during Ramadan at some point. :D

Some crazy schedule could work: 18:00, 20:15, 22:30. :laugh:

Or, God forbid, they could go with 8 groups of 3 teams, two groups per day, group stage lasts same as today, 12 days. Tournament would last 5-6 days longer because of round of 16. :laugh:

BocaFan repped this.
  21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I see the African Cup a lot like I do the Gold Cup.
    It is the largest stage some of those small teams will ever be on.
    For some of those teams it is like their "World Cup".
    I am fine with it being every two years. Those smaller team supporters need something to look forward to.

22. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Yeah, well, not sure the Gold Cup played before the WC year achieves any of that. I bet most people in French Guinea, Martinique, Guadaloupe, Curacao, etc. just support France or the Netherlands like its their own country. The 'extra' Gold Cup is just an excuse to schedule another Mexico v USA money-maker, imo.

You have a valid point for people in the CAF region though. But, damn - a 24 team tournament takes significantly longer to play than a 16-team tournament. OTOH, in practice its not going to be the same group of teams that goes deep into the tournament every time.

Not until around 2045.

23. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't get into the question of French Guianese patriotism in general (although the recent social protests there speak to their general sense of being neglected by Paris), but they are fiercely proud of their Yana Dòkò. For them, the Gold Cup + Caribbean qualifiers and the championnats d'outre-mer are the only chances they get to see their NT in action.

24. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Fair enough. Although I think to justify the usefulness of a continental tournament every 2 years , scale (population) matters. There are several countries in Africa with pretty big football-loving populations that don't have a decent chance of qualifying for a WC. So I can see the justification there. In CONCACAF? Not so much.