Club versus Country - what is more important

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Harry Ottis Guff, Oct 6, 2003.

1. evilcrossbar

evilcrossbar New Member

Jan 19, 2002
    Most US fans will say country because the national team is the only decent football played. The MLS is not a world class league; not surprisingly you'll find that many American posters on these boards generally look foreward to the national team games, particularly the World Cup and don't know/care about the club game (either MLS or foreign).

Besides, the two aren't necessarily mutually exclusive since international tournaments are played during most leagues' off-season with the exception of the MLS.

Don't get me wrong, I love the WC and I would love to see Spain win it, as would most fans in Spain; however, people have to realize (Americans in particular) that international competition - especially the WC - is NOT the norm, but the exception in football.

The reality of the game in most countries consists of the long club season that lasts most of the year. Besides, one rarely encounters the hard-core passion in the occasional international games that you find on a regular weekly basis for club games.

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hmm, so let me see. You don't support a club team at all. Do you think that might just ever so slightly influence your decision in the "what is more important to me, club or country?" question.

Your quote about not taking the remotest interest in your local team because you seem to regard it as beneath you says a lot about the kind of fan you are. Have you ever been to a match in your entire life? OK, I don't know you so I can't judge the depth of your knowledge, but it's all the bandwagan jumpers who think catching the highlights on TV now and then makes them some kind of expert that I find really annoying. Add to that what Albion + England said about how they always have to try that little bit too hard to show just how much it means to them, and it makes watching England in pub an often tiresome experience.

3. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    I think is the other way around. People from the top 3 countries leagues like Spain, Italy and England have so many good leagues and teams that they prefer the club over country but that countries that don´t have those top leagues (which is the majority of the world) prefer their NT over the clubs sides. Brasil, Argentina, Mexico and countries like I think prefer their NT and that more people than Spain, Italy and England.

4. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    Country, for many of the reasons already stated:

In the US, I had no club team -- I was supporting the US before the '94 Cup and MLS did not start until '96. I watched as much international football as possible, but never had a reason to really support a club and didn't feel like just picking one at random.

In addition, the US was so horrible -- and now they're not. In fact, they're damn good on occasion. So it has also been an amazing window of time to be a fan and has generated a lot more passion, at least for me.

Living in LA when MLS began, I support Los Angeles and always will -- more so than anyone I know away from these boards. But while the Galaxy have had as many ups and downs as any US club team, it's not quite the same -- at least not yet.

Excellent post from Pottertons, by the way.

5. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No brush too broad, huh.

Club, definitely.

6. gunner_21

gunner_21 New Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Cumberland, Maryland
    That said, and I agree, I'm a bit dismayed that Ryan Nelsen will play for NZ against Iran in a meaningless friendly this weekend over DCU's match against NE in what proves to be a much bigger game!

It depends on the situation. If it's a WC qualifier or something of that sort then sure country before club. Or vice versa, if it's a HUGE league match you really shouldn't go off to play 90 mins that means nothing at full time.

7. Poachin_Goalz

Poachin_Goalz Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Athens, GA.
    I think that Americans are more likely to support our National Team first. The NASL didn't do a good job of promoting American players. The first experience that many Americans had watching our own countrymen play against top competition was WC90 and WC94. We had no clubs then. The national team was our club. I support MLS and like the Fire because I used to live in Naperville but I still think of the league as a giant feeder for the USMNT. In other countries, club teams may have existed for generations before national competitions really took hold. To each his own.

8. RoverMax

RoverMax Member

May 4, 2003
    NYC
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take the national team over a Metros or Blackburn Game.

9. Century's Best

Century's Best Member+

Jul 29, 2003
    USA
  10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Clubs are a dime a dozen. They have their history, and they are the norm as opposed to the exception, but that's what makes country so rare and precious and incalculable. The pride that comes with country lasts forever.

11. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
  12. Just cos i said my club is more important to me than England it don't mean i don't love England cos i do. A club side is a bit like a woman you love - your always gonna love her and be with her, the national team are like the mistress - you have a taste of her sometimes for something special but you always know that your gonna go home to the woman you love.