Club versus Country - what is more important

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Harry Ottis Guff, Oct 6, 2003.

1. Harry Ottis Guff

Harry Ottis Guff BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    What is more important to you, your club or your country?

2. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Bad post. How can I vote for anything else other than???? :)

3. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a fan of the sport in the US, I also have to consider which is more important for the growth of the sport here.
    They go hand in hand. While I want success for my club team, I do get more upset at a USA loss than a Galaxy loss (I'd have to go to therapy this year if that wasn't the case :( ).
    I think success for the national team will do more to bring more fans to the game than MLS success against foreign competition, etc.. Though that will help.
    Improvements with the national team will improve MLS and my club team.

4. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA
    Definately club.

Country is more of a patriotic thing. Not a football thing.

How many fans are there worldwide who support the same club, but find themselves extrememly diverse when it comes to country?

My point is, that country just comes naturally, and it's only for the big stage.

Club is where the stars are developed into countrymen. They play day-in-and-day-out, there's matches much more often. The teams are well aquainted w/each other, so the entertainment is much better.

5. jd2084

jd2084 New Member

Aug 1, 2001
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Club versus Country - what is more important

You're just saying that because you're from Canada!

6. DanRod78

DanRod78 New Member

Mar 30, 2003
    Kansas City, KS
    I think is country because clubs are just there for money, and people play for clubs just for money.
    When it comes to representing the country, that doesn't have a price. Millions of people dream of playing in their national team even if they don't get any money at all.

Patriotism, heritage, historic rivalries that go back centuries and many other things get involved when countries play.

Also, many players change clubs every year or two or are loaned to other teams.

7. soccerchick584

soccerchick584 New Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Tennessee
    Country is far more important than club. Clubs are there for money, and players get traded every few years anyway. If you can help your country win a major tournament, there is nothing that compares to that. Certainly not winning a domestic title because you skipped traveling with your country.

8. Che Matador

Che Matador Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Inside the Beltway
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Well said my friend, i have to agree with this.

see u in venezuela, from ur Bolivian Friend

9. Bauser

Bauser Member+

Dec 23, 2000
    Norway
    Club:
    Fredrikstad FK
    Tell that to Paolo Maldini or any other player who has spent an entire career at one club.

10. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Club. End of.

11. halfnelson31

halfnelson31 New Member

Jul 23, 2002
    NOVA
    It depends if a player has to choose between an imporatnt league game or a meaningless friendly. That said i really dont have a favorite

12. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Club, without a moment's hesitation. The world cup is just a side show.

Personally I can't stand fans who support England above club football. I just find them annoying ignorant bandwagon jumpers. England play Turkey on Saturday but I think I'll go out and find a pub that's not showing the game just to escape.

13. Harry Ottis Guff

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    I completely diagree! How can you say that supporting your national team is jumping on the bandwagon, when you support that team all the way throughout the league season, and in the summer's as well. The world cup is no mere sideshow, it is the most prestigious prize in football. Winning the world cup is far more important than winning say, the premiership. It brings nations together all over the world, and, most people who support a club dont even support their local team, but some big gun like Man U or Real Madrid. I for one like club football, but I never watch my local team play, because I dont live there any more, and I think third division football is *#*#*#*#. I dont support a premiership club because I dont come from anywhere to owe my allegiance, and the only team that I can watch represent me on the highest level is England, therefore I watch premiership games to check out how the England players are performing domestically, and to see if any up coming younger players may progress into the national side in the future. How is this jumping on the bandwagon? I have respect for anyone who supports a club team, but your remarks about people supporting their nation are ignorant and pathetic Richard!

14. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    I think right now it is club. They are who pay their wages. Thats the club payed the money for him to come to the club. They play him every week and he gets to know the players there much better. When there is an injury it affects the national team, but they have the luxury of picking other players, not so much the club.

15. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Country. This is not an actual debate. Country.

16. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Club for the money.

Country for the pride.

17. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA
    Re: Re: Re: Club versus Country - what is more important

hate to burst your bubble mate, but i'm born and bread English. Still got a valid passport and all.

The England team without a doubt are the team that I back up. However, all of those players would not be there if their respective club teams did not allow them the opportunity to arise into international icons.

when we watch the International matches, you get recognition of many great players. You seek there whereabouts and you're intrigued by this players origin. The development is the main part.

Of course, there is the fact that I simply love the game, not the politics behind it.

Furthermore, how many players can you name from your national side. I can name EVERY SINGLE one for my national team, and that's not because i only follow international footey, it's becasue i watch domestic footey.

I feel a lot of it depends on where your from too.

Over on the Eastern hemisphere i'm sure that the majority prefer, domestic to Country. Not out of disrespect, but because of the magnitude of the sport over there. Therefore the passion starts before you see an international match. Your domestic team represents you more because you get to interact and watch it MUCH more.

Where as the US and Canada may lean more towards the Country side, because there isn't much of a domestic focus over here. So you don't see as much, there's no hype surrounding you;So the only thing to hang on to is Country.

So like I said before, Country comes naturally, it will never leave...club comes from passion, patient development and experience.

Putting it more simply, Country comes once every few years. Domestic comes every day, and it's the every-day, that creates a good performance in a 1 month tournement.

18. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    duh.

19. Pottertons

Pottertons New Member

May 28, 2003
    Canada_GTA

Probably the same as the good work that you do every day doesn't it.

unless of course, you work for free. I'm sure a pay increase wouldn't interest you one bit, would it.
    Clubs are based on just as much passion as country. Some may even say that it's more.

20. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

So! The game isn't more sacred than your everyday salaryman's job, is it now? It's become that ordinary, huh?

If that's the case, then, yeah, country over club any day of the week.

21. I agree, i remember saying in our promotion season i'd prefer us to get promoted to the Premiership than England to win the World Cup.
    I hate the women and sometimes the lads - who never bother with football but when theres a big England game on they pile into the pubs and cheer louder than everyone else - like they know football and have always liked it, the only players they know are Beckham and Owen. Clowns. Most of em have never been to a game in their lives - which makes them bandwagon jumpers.

22. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I doubt any portuguese would say anything differente than COUNTRY!
    I went to a Portugal game here in Lisbon played at Benfica's stadium and the vast majority of people there were Benfica fans. I was wearing my Porto shirt... (wich normally would get me killed there unless I had police protection). But since it was a NT game everybody was on the same side. So club is definitly second to country for most portuguese.

23. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Club without a doubt.

24. Mobile

Mobile New Member

Jul 29, 2002
    Melbourne
    Spot on. Club football is the heartbeat of the sport.

25. Harry Ottis Guff

Oct 2, 2003
    Im gonna slap you!
    I dont understand you! I like to look out for my national teams players week in week out to see how they are coping and to see how they are playing, and always have the national side in mind. But, you have to remember that not all people like football as much as us, and doesnt it show you that when people come together like they do for a national team how important international football is, because it gets the whole country excited in a way that club football cant. There is nothing wrong with people only taking an interest in England games. Personally I like to keep tabs on football everyday, but what can possibly be wrong with just watching big England games and cheering on the team? If thats what people want to do then let them, you are no better because you watch your team every weekend. People do have other things in their lives. In my opinion, this is what is great about national football, the whole NATION comes together to watch the team, whoever they are, and not just a tiny minority!