Club Training Grounds - built/planned?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by PG Tips, Feb 2, 2010.

1. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    After some searching through the forum and net I couldn't find a comprehensive list of MLS club training grounds. I'm guessing a lot of them just use their home stadium. I'd like to hear from people, what are the current or future franchises using or have planned for training facilities?

What got me interested was that Vancouver's planned $30 million, 50 acre training ground was insanely cancelled by a local municipality recently but it will more than likely still get built elsewhere as other cities in the metro are interested.

2. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the sounders have the Starfire sports complex. I believe 6 fields. Two indoor, 4000 stadium, and 3 natural grass fields.

everton, barca, and chelsea trained there.

as a back up they have the Seahawks VMAC center where there are indoor and outdoor training facilities.

3. PG Tips

PG Tips Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Vancouver
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nice! I checked it out on google maps. Does the team partly own this, or the city, someone else? Vancouver definitely needs theirs done soon as visiting clubs or ones on friendlies will need something to train on.

4. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Houston currently trains at the Carl Lewis Track & Field Complex at the University of Houston. It is near Robertson Stadium. The Complex is used for track & field and practice fields for other UofH sports.

The Dynamo are currently in talks with the City of Houston to participate in a soccer complex on the south side of the city. That 100 acre complex would include 18 fields including one with stands. The Dynamo are likely to build a training center there. However, that plan seems to have stalled a bit along with the Dynamo Stadium talks. I don't think anything has happened on that site in the two years since the plan was announced.

5. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Earthquakes to construct Amway Global Training Facility
    Training facility will be built at site of team's potential new stadium

6. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Rapids train at the Dick, which included a full training center in the locker room building and one of the 24 surrounding fields is a turf one for weeks the Rapids are playing on a turf field on the road.

7. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    Chivas and the Galaxy both train at the HDC, which has at least 10 practice fields that I can remember off the top of my head. It also the home the the US national team (mens and womens) and has a rather large Athletes Performance center on site.

If I remember correctly, Pizza Hut Park is surrounded by playing fields, so I'm guess that FCD trains there. Any Dallas fans feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that.

8. BeMassiveSoccer

Jul 27, 2007
    Relegation Zone
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Crew practice at Obetz, their own facility, and Crew Stadium some times.

9. rhymeorreason

rhymeorreason Member

Nov 16, 2004
    OPKS
    Wizards train in their own facility in Swope Park in KC, MO. Three fields - turf, bluegrass, and one other grass types - allow the team to work on all the field types they may play on in the other teams' home stadiums. The facility also has the team weight room, physical therapy facilities, boot room, meeting room and dining area.

10. soccerfreak9210

Mar 19, 2007
    New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Briefly, NY trains at the fields on the campus of Montclair State University... one grass and one turf...
    Plans for a new facility for the team and academy are in the works after RBA is done and will be in East Hanover, NJ

11. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is correct. FCD trains on Field 1, which is the impeccable grass field right next to the main stadium. When they're playing at a road game against a team on turf, they train at Dr. Pink Field, which has turf and is also at PHP.

12. GVPATS77

GVPATS77 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Fullerton, CA
    The HDC also has turf fields. When Sampson was the Galaxy coach, they would train on that turf field when they were heading to a road game in a turf stadium. When Yallop took over he refused to train on turf. So did Gullit and Arena thus far.

As far as I know, Chivas doesn't use the turf field either.