Club icons and what they mean to you

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by ferreirajl, Nov 30, 2004.

1. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    In all clubs there are players that embody the club's spirit, it's values and it's image.

For the fans these players are examples of conduct, dedication, sometimes even personal sacrifice at their club's service.

So here's what I suggest you do: name those players who were/are icons of your club, and explain to us what did they mean to you or your club.

The idea for this thread came from two ilustrious sportinguistas: ForcaSporting and JuveLeoRules, who were trying to explain what Sa Pinto meant to Sportinguistas.

To me, if you ask me about Sporting icons, I would think Oceano... but Im portista so what do I know about Sporting's icons?? ;)

As a portista I can tell you my favorite Porto players and true icons are:

Paulinho Santos
    Viciously mean, agressive, commited 100% to every single play (João V. Pinto can vouch for that). Paulinho Santos came from a family of fishermen from Povoa do Varzim and it was said that he still liked to go play domino with the old folks in the taverns. He also didn't like to lose in dominos. I would have payed big money to see him mark Liedson just once.

João Pinto
    There's a story that this guy played half a season with a broken big toe... and no one ever noticed the difference.
    Apparently he didnt want to miss some important games and Porto's medic claims that no one else that he knows could have endured such pain for so long. He also said that he wanted to be in the stands of the old Antas Stadium when it was demolished.

Jorge Costa
    Following Porto's tradition: mean, tough, commited, and hard working. Jorge Costa is the undisputed leader of Porto's team on the pitch. Personally, I just love to see him pissed off at teammates when they screw up. Recovered from a knee injury in a record 3 months, when the normal is 7 to 9 months.

Vitor Baia
    No Porto fan I know will stand for any bashing of Baia. Started in Porto's team at the age of 19. At 35(?) still ranks as one of the best GK in Europe. He has forgotten more than most will ever know. What he lost in flexibility and reaction he compensates with experience, positioning and a perfect antecipation of plays. He also makes saves that would normally be considered goals. Thats priceless.

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Vitor Baptista was the best, people just love him, unfortunally he died in misery at early age of 50

3. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I think I made my icon pretty obvious in the Sa Pinto thread.. ;)

Having a club icon is very important. Fans can easily associate a club by a player who is hard nose, or shows lots of heart and grit. That player may not necessarily be the best player talent wise, but may be the most respected guy in the dressing room because of what he displays on the field.

ferreirajl - a rep for you for starting this thread :)

4. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    joao pinto need i say more
    he played with a broken toe
    and him not being on the nt anymore
    makes me believe that they think hes just too old.

in some way hes an icon especially what he endured and hes passion for throwing punches.

5. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    jec1 - you are thinking about pretty boy Joao VIERA Pinto, who plays for Boavista. The Joao Pinto that ferreirajl is referring to is a defender (Left back, if memory serves correct) named Joao DOMINGOS Pinto, a player who played his whole career with FC Porto and I believe is still associated with the club as a scout...

6. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Vitor Baptista the first portuguese player to play with a earing in the 70's, ask the referee to stop the game between Benfica vs Sporting so they could look for his earing lost on the field, which was never found, Vitor Baptista scored a goal, Benfica won 1-0

7. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    O rapaz do Brinco, [the boy of the earing} here is a article

http://arquivo.setubalnarede.pt/1999/53/53Vitor.html

in the article you will read, consider one of the best strikers since Eusebio, by the players and fans
    por ser considerado por todos, um dos maiores craques de futebol de sempre em Portugal, depois de Eusébio, todos os jogos da Primeira Divisão começaram com um minuto de silêncio em memória do antigo jogador

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    they call him the the boy of the Golden feet
    he died in poverty because of drug problems

Vítor Baptista morreu cerca de 20 anos depois de um futuro desfeito por causa da droga, um vício que adquiriu em pleno auge da carreira quando já todos lhe chamavam "pés de ouro". Um título a que o jovem, saído de uma família pobre de um bairro típico de Setúbal acabou por não fazer justiça, já que a subida fulgurante acabou em queda prematura.
    Depois da glória internacional, os últimos anos da vida de Vítor Baptista foram passados na pobreza, ganhando a vida como coveiro num cemitério de Setúbal e conquistando a fama de marginal, pelas inúmeras incursões ao mundo da droga, que lhe valeram diversas penas de cadeia e várias tentativas de desintoxicação.
    O ponta de lança setubalense começou a sua carreira futebolística aos 15 anos, no Vitória de Setúbal, de onde saiu em 1971, para ingressar no Benfica, onde cumpriu seis temporadas. Do Benfica à Selecção Nacional foi um passo, tendo representado Portugal em 11 partidas

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    he starter playing for V. Setubal in the first division today Superliga, at the age of 15
    at 17 I saw him in Jersey City in a game between V. Setubal vs Inter the finish with the score of 1-1

nobody is a better icon then Vitor Baptista I hope God have in eterno descanso

10. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    http://hugo-benfica.tripod.com/

more on Vitor Baptista

Na década de 70, o Benfica conquistaria outro tri-campeonato, de 70/71 a 72/73, desta vez nas mãos do britânico Jimmy Hagan. As figuras da altura eram: Eusébio, Humberto Coelho, Jaime Graça, Nené, Toni, Diamantino, José Torres, António Simões, Vitór Martins, Vítor Baptista, Shéu Han, Jordão, José Henrique, Adolfo Messias e Artur Jorge (melhor marcador em 70/71 e 71/72

11. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Jardel :p

Lazy, cherry picker, slow, good PK taker for Sporting, Marriage scandals, can score impossible headers, and now WASHED UP!!!!

Never liked him because he just looks awkard when he walks/runs but man did this guy know how to score headers. He was the first Icon that i hated :confused:

12. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I make a public display of affection towards my youth idols and you people bring up Jardel?? Come on! I was expecting names like Oceano, Beto maybe, Iordanov, or João V. Pinto in his Benfica days, Simao, Nuno Gomes (?), Mozer, hell you know them better than I do.
    And the rest of portistas, please, tell us who were your favorite club icons and why. Try to elaborate a bit more on your answers, Im bored and need something to read. :D

13. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Man... that is a weird post coming from another portista.

First of all I never saw Jardel as a club icon. He was a mercenary. And a terribly good one too.

And It's a fact that his personal life was a complete mess, and his whole attitude was shit... but... how can you hate the man that handed us 3 championship titles?!

14. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Haha, I was joking about that Lazy Jardel. But the man gave us 3 titles, ofcourse thanks to the crosses by Drulovic. Jardel wouldn't make the Porto line up today becasue we actually have srtikers but back in those years, Jardel was the only option.

15. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    If I was coaching and had to choose between a fit/on form Jardel and any of the current strikers, I would go for Jardel without hesitation. Which one of our current strikers can score 30/40 goals a season? Simple answer: None. :eek:

16. JuveleoRules

JuveleoRules Member

Jun 8, 2002
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    You are right on the money! When he was in form and had a clear head, he could score at will. I have never seen another player in any league dominate the Penalty area like he did. Give him a driven cross and it was as good as off his head and into the back of the net.

Everyone can knock him now, but while at Porto and SCP all he did was win Golden Boot Awards and Championships.

17. ferreirajl

ferreirajl New Member

Jun 5, 2002
    Lisbon, Portugal
    I used to say to my friends that when you have Jardel on your team,

the only tactic you need is
    give 500 euros to any guy that can hit Jardel's head with the ball. :p

18. BatatasFritas

BatatasFritas Member+

Nov 29, 2004
    Toronto
    Club:
    FC Porto
    So ture. Man, I remember watching the Porto and everytime Drulovic crossed it in, i knew Jardel would score. :D

I would like to see a Superliga team pick him up and buy a good winger and see what happens.