Post-match: Club Deportivo Chivas USA - San Jose Earthquakes (Saturday, 10/17) postgame thread [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Goodsport, Oct 18, 2009.

1. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'm not going to bag on Weber for the goals. He's played one game all season. Overall, he's fairly solid with great reactions but didn't do as well when he had time to think. That's why he's in there; we want to finish on a high note but really have nothing to lose. These are learning experiences, getting to know the pace of this league as opposed to anything he's faced before. Maybe I'm underestimating the USL, but Chivas is pretty good and now he knows why.

2. DCU1996

DCU1996 Member

Jun 3, 2002
    N. VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    it's not 'Club Deportivo Chivas USA' it's just Chivas USA. right? I mean the team name.

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This should come as a surprise to absolutely no one, and not just regarding the Quakes. [​IMG]

GO SAN JOSE EARTHQUAKES!!! :(

-G

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Especially in those makeshift hodgepodge uniforms. Yikes! :eek:

-G

5. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks. :)

-G

6. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Good question. I don't know. There is stuff on the official web site that says "CD Chivas USA," so maybe "Club Deportivo" is part of the official name.

7. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Club Deportivo Chivas USA is indeed the team's official full name, though it's more commonly abbreviated as CD Chivas USA.

-G

8. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

[​IMG]
    Shea Salinas (L) and the Quakes made it difficult for Ante Jazic (R) and the host Chivas USA. (Getty)

-G

9. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The game's highlights can be viewed here.

-G

12. rcoull

rcoull Member+

May 18, 2001
    The Woodlands, TX
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I've read all the comments and I think I agree with the sentiment, which I hope to sum up this way. Great result against a championship chasing team. We showed some good heart, but, was very sloppy, showed remarkable lack of fitness and poor substitution decisions cost us what should have been a fantastic result.

My comment on the substitutions or lack of them shows that the coaching staff does not have any faith on those that were on the bench as it was patently obvious we needed fresh legs. I think that tells a story.

Burling finally impressed me and may be a keeper. Still shakey clearing the ball as is McD, but, there is potential there. Leitch again looked good. Sanchez was awesome. He cannot get away in the off-season and Convey the engima. At times finally looks like the player he promised to be and at times looked clueless...

Bring on the SCUM!!

-Richard

13. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Yeah, why not put Ribeiro in for Elliott?

Despite the road point, I don't think they played that well overall. Chivas USA missed some great opportunities. It was 20:8 shots:shots on goal to something like 10:2. At times they reverted to their patented losing formula:

1) absorb attack
    2) if you're lucky enough to get a goal kick at the end of it, punt it far downfield
    3) fail to win possession on goal kick
    4) go back to step 1

You can't really fault Weber on the 1st goal, but seems like he made it too easy for Gallindo to go near post. On a wider angle like that, should make him go far post. It's a much easier to miss those.

That's RJ's second "looping header" over the keeper. Very well placed. A trick to add to his bag. Hopefully he'll continue to work hard on his shooting (with his foot) in the off-season.

14. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Props to San Jose.
    Yeah, your team may be going through some tough times right now, but getting a draw against us at home wasn't easy. Johnson and Alvarez kept our makeshift defense busy all night. We were on a roll and your defense was steady.
    The overall effort by the Earthquakes was something our team wasn't expecting last night.

Andrew Webber worked his a$$ off and deserves some credit.

I'll be cheering for you guys the rest of the way to "upset" things.

Officially, we are Club Deportivo Chivas USA. That's what it says on the badge.

Good luck.

2 people repped this.
  15. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the classy post. It was a fun game to watch. Hopefully we can be more of a contending team next year

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The field may be bigger, but man is it far away when you're sitting in the stands. There's more room between their sideline and the ad boards then Buck Shaw has between the sideline and the grandstand.

17. markmcf8

markmcf8 Member+

Oct 18, 1999
    Vancouver, WA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The title is: "Quakes draw with Chivas, take over 1st in West"

I get that this was supposed to be funny. My comment had nothing to do with whether or not the title was sarcastic. I was wondering where you got the "Yallop pulled out all the stops with his neck on the line, apparently." Were you being sarcastic?! If so, then I'm sorry for jumping on you. I don't see a smilie on that post. Also, I had just been arguing with folks who insisted that the Quake played alright, despite massive video evidence to the contrary.

Hey, I was drinking Jepson, Old Stock while watching the game, and little more afterwords. If you are not familiar with Jepson, I suggest you correct this deficit at the first opportunity. Oh damn! Now they've changed their name to Jaxon Keys. Well, with luck they won't change their brandy at all. "Old Stock" is the middle grade of their brandy. (I can't afford their Private Reserve, or whatever the top quality stuff is called.) Excellent brandy. Very smooth.

Go Quakes!! :(

- Mark

18. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  19. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was referring to the playing field (within the lines), as I did in my message to John Shrader and Troy Dayak in the in-game thread.

I'm not sure why the Toolbox has such a huge total field (from wall to wall) that leaves so much sideline space even with the ideal 75x120 yards playing field and hopefully The Epicenter won't have that much sideline space, but at the same time I pray that The Ep won't have an unrealistic, dangerous lack of proper sideline space as Spartan Stadium did.

But like you alluded to, there's been way too much unused sideline space (as well as too much unused endline space until the last few home games) at Buck Shaw Stadium the last two seasons, which has been especially visible when viewing the total field from the north and south ends. Hopefully the playing field there will get widened next season to the 75 yards that it was renovated to safely accommodate in the first place.

-G

20. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    Yet again, MLS proves its "secondary assist" to be inept. Leitch should not recieve an assist for a 10 foot pass off a set piece.

21. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Amen to everything here!

22. West Coast Futbol

May 7, 2008
    The Beach
    Not bad for mid-fielders playing back. Wait till SJ gets some midfielders who can play, how good these guys will be. Quite frankly I can see them in the middle with Pitch and Hernandez in CB roles. BTW McD can serve out of the back, had zero trouble with Donovan and Buddle last season.

23. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I look forward to that on my next visit to the "Land of the Six-Lane MSR (with heavy chuckholes)."

24. ant0n

ant0n Member+

Jun 12, 2007
    San Jose, Ca
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sometimes a primary assist is just as inept.

25. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps, however, Leitch had fooled Chivas into thinking he was going to loft the ball into the box, but, instead dumped it down the line to Salinas. I think that was worth getting credit. And not that it really matters, his pass to Salinas covered about 20 yards, not merely 10 feet.