Clint Dempsey's Role and RM Spot for Germany

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by dmike, May 28, 2006.

1. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So after this Latvia game it seems he will be coming off the bench for the Czech Game atleast. Im kinda dissapointed his only real look with regulars was with Venezuela. Then again it was more of a mixture with reserves than regulars.

The question is whos gonna play RM for us??? Beas??

Or is Bruce gonna pull an 02 and thrown in Dempsey out of nowhere???

2. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    I would absolutely go for Dempsey over Beaz right now if that is the choice. Not even close. Beaz has no confidence.

3. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ding ding ding. I like Beasley, but really he hasn't done much of anything as of late.

4. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would love to see Dempsey but it seems Bruce has other plans for the RM spot. This game kinda hinted that Bruce would rather have Beas on RM spot if it meant playing Convey in the starting 11.

It just wierd that Bruce did not start Dempsey on the right. Considering its our biggest questionmark so far.

5. fhsol76

fhsol76 New Member

Jul 15, 2005
    K-Town
    dont think he wanted to start him coming off a start on friday. Give him time to recover. Also he is in form, the bruce probably started dmb in hopes he might regain a bit of form.

6. ill quixote

ill quixote Member

Apr 5, 2006
    I wouldn't be shocked if neither Dempsey, nor Beasley, nor Convey start in Germany. Johnny-O was great today on the left and I could see Reyna taking the spot on the right.

7. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i still think reyna's best position is RM, but i am aware i am in the minority on that

8. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    did you people not watch tonight's match? he accomplished more at RM in 90 minutes than Demps did vs Poland and Venezuela

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    didn't Demps score against both Poland and Venezuela? I know goal scoring is not everything in soccer but it isn't nothing either.

10. warmblooded

warmblooded BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 17, 2004
    Clowntown, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Seriously. I don't know if Appoo's being sarcastic or what... but, it seems to me that when Demps has been given serious minutes, he manages to score.

11. dcole

dcole Member+

May 27, 2005
    Patent absurdity.

12. Say What?

Say What? New Member

May 2, 2006
    Hmm. I think Clint drifted out of the Ven match after minute 25, and was quiet.

Did what he had to versus Poland, like many on the team did that day.

Oh yeah, 2 goals are nice.:D

However, DMB looks like a man with no confidence who can't complete the simplest of passes. The ones that he does always put our guys in bad spots, or force them to track it down, start from scrtach and let the D settle.

DMB has given away so many balls in this series he should just sign them and ask for money like some over the hill baseball player does.

He looked better when he realized Latvia was pretty harmless in half two, and he would be given a lot of time and space.

It's to easy right now for opposing teams. Pressure DMB and we will get the ball and be off to the races. Better teams will really make us pay. Italy, Czechs anyone?

Sorry, I'm not in love with Clint, but if DMB accomplished more like you said than Clint is a piece of crap because at best DMB would be garbage right now.

Sorry, just what I see.

13. toddk15

toddk15 Guest

Hold on, did Convey have three turnovers and muff a chance at a goal as well? I wonder if DMB had committed those obvious errors, if he would be chastised as well? You do realize one of the main reasons Cherundolo had that much space on the right hand side was because of DMB's runs inside and taking the right sided defenders with him? Or does he just not do anything at all?

14. lmorin

lmorin Member+

Mar 29, 2000
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I realize this game was a test, of sorts. However, it really was too bad Dempsey didn't get in. I think he could have been awesome against tonight's defense.

I don't know whether Appoo is being sarcastic or not, but Dempsey is this WC's DMB. He has a lot to offer, just like DMB did last time. IMHO, DMB is playing himself to the bench with more than one player ahead of him.

15. Say What?

Say What? New Member

May 2, 2006
    DMB is not doing what he had been. He hasn't been aggressive running at defenders. His touch is very bad. Very bad. The type of bad that will have our D stretched and have skilled playmakers and forwards tearing us a new one.

That is the worry. He will defend and he will hustle. His speed will keep people honest, but now the other team will also exploit his weaknesses, and that is a worry.

He is still the best bet to start IMO, but we need that aggressive DMB back, and we need him to somehow minimize the bad giveaways.

16. Say What?

Say What? New Member

May 2, 2006
    Well, having a Dempsey and BC on the bench is a nice option, but I'm sure these guys will start somehwere in the cup.

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Appoo ........ please stop. You're embarassing yourself. You KNOW that I have had DMB's back. You know that. But DMB was bad tonight, and he's been bad for awhile. There is no sense in me (or you) to deny that at this stage. It's patently obvious to everyone but you who is watching him play. And this game was against Latvia, and he still was a turnover machine who couldn't beat anyone off the dribble or complete basic passes. Demps scored against 2 teams superior to Latvia (poland and venezuela), and was generally dangerous for large stretches against Venezuela. Please, stop the madness.

18. Soccer_Lancer

Soccer_Lancer Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ditto. i really think mastroeni is one of our best 11 players. looking at that lineup tonight, beasley was the only real "weak" spot. i could see reyna playing out there, tucked in a bit letting cherundolo do the wing work. basically the same way o'brian and lewis played the left tonight.

19. Neville2

Neville2 Member

Jun 12, 2001
    Brasilia, DF Brazil
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope this is a joke, because I think Dempsey had the best night of the possible right mids. Beasley did not look good on the right and Reyna just started running before the game. And I doubt Convey would start on the right against the Czechs when he did not play anytime over there in these warm up games or a qualifier I can remember. In my opinion Dempsey will start if we play four at the back.

20. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Ya, what he said... if the US sticks to a skinny diamond. It may.

21. tbgh

tbgh New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Precisely. Right now I can tell you 10 of the 11 starters for the Czech Republic. These are just the guys that we have to have on the field as much as possible: Keller, Cherundolo, Gooch, Pope, Lewis, Mastroeni, O'Brien, Reyna, Donovan, and McBride. The only question is if Beasley, Convey, Dempsey, Wolff, or Johnson will be filling out that top 11. Whichever one of those Bruce picks will dictate what roles Donovan, O'Brien, and Reyna play. I'm leaning towards Convey on the left, and the three above rotating right and center with O'Brien going to the wing the most often.

22. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I havnt read through all the other threads yet so this maybe answered already, but why wasnt Clint even dressed for this match? He was the only player not dressed.

23. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    sore back

24. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree. The only other question is how healthy CR and JOB will be. If either or both are not healthy, that changes everything. With the way EJ and Wolfe have been playing, I'd like to see either DMB (for his solid defense) or Convey (for his spark) added to the above group.

25. Ghosting

Ghosting Member+

Aug 20, 2004
    Pendleton, OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The one other point is that Dempsy's best role for this team is as an attacking sub. His defense is not what it needs to be yet (although it's better), and his decision making is not good at all (against better teams he'll lose the ball on the dribble in bad spots). However, his finishing has been quite good. If we need a goal, I would love to see him coming off the bench!