Clint Dempsey retires

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Yoshou, Aug 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Crazy that if he'd hit that, he'd be our top goal scorer.

jnielsen and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. RalleeMonkey

RalleeMonkey Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    here
    Enjoy retirement, Clint! Favorite player ever. I will always wear my Dempsey "where's Waldo" jersey with pride.

I sure hope he gets into broadcasting right away.

Maybe he'll pull a Dono and un-retire after a little time away from the game :)

3. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    Better still ...

[​IMG]
    ... might not even have to stay in shape. ;)

4. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Did something new pop up healthwise that caused him to retire right now instead of at the end of the season? I was thinking there was a pretty good chance he'd retire after the season, but I was hoping he'd have get a chance at another playoff run (at least as a bench option) and a chance at a USMNT send-off in the fall friendlies.

5. puttputtfc

puttputtfc Member+

Sep 7, 1999
    Absolutely a legend. Thanks, Clint, you were fantastic.

6. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    As long as he isn't retiring from the rap game. The man still has bars in him.

KicksNgiggles repped this.
  7. appoo

appoo Member+

Jul 30, 2001
    USA
    Congrats Clint! Legend.

8. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Keep in mind goals were usually Clint's major contribution, whereas 95% of the time, Donovan was looking to dish the rock.

Everybody was wanting the greatest ever American player to do more himself. A lot of those fans got the moments they wanted from Demps. Tricks, swagger, dented nets. People wanted USA's best player to swerve through clouds of defenders and/or orchestrate like Zidane.

But I actually I think everyone would appreciate Landon more now, in the post Barca press era, the Pep, Klopp, Red Bull era when players are typically not trying to hang out with the ball.

Landon was a killer weapon in a way many didn't get at the time, and weren't so well prepared to defend. He was the ultimate transition player.

Bite o' the Cherry, Shen-O and Geneva repped this.
  9. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    (sorry, it's a struggle not to reply to something like the goals comparison.)

10. jond

jond Member+

Sep 28, 2010
    Club:
    Levski Sofia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So long to the greatest to ever lace them up for our NT.

[​IMG]

vexco and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  11. yurch10

yurch10 Member+

Feb 13, 2004
    Agreed. Both were great players, and I think LD was more of the "complete", build-the-team-around guy (what are assist #s? LD probably dominates there?)...but i just hate hearing that they are tied for top goalscorer. LD scored on a lot of PKs that aren't nearly the equivalent (ie. impressive) as scoring from the run of play.

Honore de Ballsac repped this.
  12. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Very different types of players. Both are awesome. One can argue either way in terms of the "better player." Both showed up on big stages.

Assists is a no contest.

Donovan 58
    Bradley 22
    C. Jones 22
    Dempsey 21
    Reyna 19

jnielsen repped this.
  13. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Clint Dempsey has been a legend in his time for our national team. Thanks, Clint! I wish all the best to him and his family on his retirement. He had a great career, one of the best ever for an American.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  14. Eleven Bravo

Eleven Bravo Member+

Atlanta United
    United States
    Jul 3, 2004
    SC
    Club:
    Atlanta Silverbacks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don’t tread on this!

15. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Well, if we're talking about finishing penalties, Clint could have this record if he wasn't so damn cool. Viva Deuce a Cero.

16. An Unpaved Road

An Unpaved Road Member+

Mar 22, 2006
    Club:
    --other--
    I heard the news break on the United States of Soccer radio show. The first caller sounded like he was English and immediately brought up Dempsey forcing his way out of Fulham as something he'll always be remembered for in a bad way. Made me laugh for some reason, maybe because the very first call on what the host described as a testimonial show amounted to "those damn Yanks." :p

Anyways, my favorite Dempsey moments on the NT (not necessarily the best):

1. Ghana goal 2014. Just defined badass. I'm not sure scoring first against Ghana would've done the trick if it wasn't the type of statement goal this one was.

2. Spain Confed Cup. Really showed his goal-scorer's instinct to be in the right position and make the key last minute adjustment before shooting. All too rare for U.S. players.

3. Gold Cup 2011 goal vs. Panama. More for the celebration afterwards. Dempsey repping Donovan, and Bradley, Jones and Bedoya getting in on the celebration. Even thought they didn't win the tournament, this moment serves as a nice little snapshot of a good era.

17. skim172

skim172 Member+

Feb 20, 2013
    Personally, I wish he'd gotten that one more goal - because I liked him just a bit more than Donovan. :thumbsup:

End of an era.

RalleeMonkey repped this.
  18. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find it poetic that the two most influential and highest achieving US Soccer players of the modern era are tied at the top of the all-time scoring list.

Thank you, Clint, for all the great memories.

superdave and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  19. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, and does this mean Deuce will have some time to drop a few bars on Spotify in the coming months? :thumbsup:

Eleven Bravo repped this.
  20. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    Best field player the US has produced. He had a WORLD CLASS international career. It'll be some years before anyone comes close to matching his goal creation record at major tournaments.

His physical tools did not portend a significant international and club careers for a US international. But his mentality and field vision were simply unmatched by any other US-produced player to wear the jersey.

21. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you, Deuce!

Apropos CD and LD ended up tied...

22. comoesa

comoesa Member+

Aug 13, 2010
    Christen Press's armpit
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Clint's son playing soccer yet?

23. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    World Cup: 4 goals 1 drawn pk in 10 Matches
    Copa America: 3 goals 3 assists in 6 matches
    Confederations Cup: 3 goals 1 assist in 5 matches

24. smokarz

smokarz Member+

Aug 9, 2006
    Hartford, CT
    Than you , Deuce!!!

Now, waiting for Bradley and Howard to announce their retirements.

25. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you just wanna throw out what makes up 97% of sports talk on TV? ;)

In an alternate universe, every edition of SportsCenter from now til the UCL draw tomorrow would be ESPN personalities at each others' throats over "USMNT GOAT: LD or Deuce?" With @Roger Allaway getting invited to Around the Horn to advocate for Patenaude and Souza :D

chad and leppercut repped this.