Clint "Cleatus" Mathis is new coach?

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by bigredmachine, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Rumors and postings in various places indicate the Fire have hired Clint Mathis as an assistant coach, but nothing so far on the Fire web site. ????

2. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Running a website is hard.

rooked, firefan2001, I PINCH! and 3 others repped this.
  3. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Were going to run out of Malort.

Saeyddthe and LocoGueroFutobolista repped this.
  5. sWo97

sWo97 Member+

Aug 18, 2008
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wanted him on the Fire when he was playing, well...
    [​IMG]

6. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Shut it.

7. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Press conference had nothing about Clint, except they are working on adding another assistant. I assume it's Clint.

8. lurak

lurak Member+

Aug 24, 2007
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Adding an assistant is HARD, especially considering that someone in management forced CJ Brown on the coaching staff.

Of course, I'm quite happy that CJ is on the coaching staff.

goldclover repped this.
  9. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It wasn't just "someone in management". The story I heard was, Andrew personally suggested to Yallop that he consider CJ for his staff.

10. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    It's really easy to make shit up on the internet. Even Andrew could do it.

Saeyddthe, Chris M. and firefan2001 repped this.
  11. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #11 chiladd, Jan 24, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    actually it was CJ in an interview that stated it.

alright- it wasnt CJ but it was stated in an article about CJ

12. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    I really want this organization to succeed and again become something to be proud of (with or without ever winning MLS Cup again). But they keep shooting themselves in the foot.

I noticed it right away but I don't want to be a "Debbie downer". I let it slide for a while but it's getting old quick. It's obvious Yallop is being fed lines to appease the public. From his first interview when he said 'I want to play Pineda', or later when he said 'Hey I like pretty soccer too' to this about CJ and Andrew. It's as if someone combed through the past couple years on BigSoccer to find the biggest complaints or concerns and they're using them as talking points.

If we all take off the "shiny new toy" glasses we got because of a new coach and the potential of an exciting off season of signings and we look at what the club is publishing it's pretty obvious and very condescending of them. That would all actually be fine if they were making necessary changes defined by a long term plan but there's no evidence of any cohesive plan. It's just lip service.

Pay close attention to what they've written and keep paying attention in the months to come. What they are publishing is really painfully difficult propaganda. It's mind bogglingly frustrating and really just kinda pathetically sad. They'd be far better off putting that effort into positive change instead of papering over concerns and flaws.

13. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I personally have seen zero improvement made to the team this offseason. I'm not talking coaching. Perhaps I see through the smoke and mirrors? I can't be the only one.

Chris M., firefan2001 and milicz repped this.
  14. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    It's kinda scary, isn't it?

15. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    You mean not replacing 11 assists in the lineup is a problem? Don't be a Debbie downer, I'm sure Shipp and Pineda will make up for it.

xtomx, Chris M., bunge and 1 other person repped this.
  16. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    True, so sad, but true.:cry:

17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As for Clint Mathis, I don't see how this can make the Fire any better.
    What does he have to offer?
    I don't get it.

Mathis was okay in 1998-2003 (scoring 48 goals in 6 seasons), but did little after that.
    2004-2010: he had 19 goals.
    In his final three season, he scored 2 goals.

If we are going to bring in a retired long time MLS forward, I would have preferred Ante Razov.
    I think Razov might be a good coach. He is currently coaching the U-18 team with the LA Galaxy.
    "If you had to coach young kids, he’s one of the guys you’d try to teach them to emulate.” Tony Meola
    http://www.ussoccer.com/news/centen...-forward-ante-razov.aspx#sthash.VRfPl4Jy.dpuf

In fact, in every sentence I could imagine, I would prefer Ante Razov over Clint Mathis.

Career facts:
    Mathis: 12 seasons, 283 games, 67 goals, strike rate 1 goal per 4.2 games.
    Razov: 13 seasons, 262 games, 114 goals, strike rate 1 goal per 2.3 games.

18. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember telling Ante a few years back that some of us missed him quite a bit.

LocoGueroFutobolista, bunge and xtomx repped this.
  19. iron81

iron81 Member+

Jan 6, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If this is what's happening, then good. This organization hasn't gotten the credit it deserved partially because they don't always tell us everything that happens. If this is part of a PR campaign, it's similar to what I do here: exposing the fan base to what this organization does well to get them excited about the team. A little more subtle than the Lobring editorials, but hopefully more effective.

The only difference between this type of promotion and what Heinemann does is he looks better due to the trophies and full stadium.

20. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Like I said, I'm OK with it if they back it up. They don't.

iron81 repped this.
  21. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Aha, instead of one good lethal decapitating strike, Sir Knight, I see that your technique is to bleed your opponents to death with multiple paper cuts, which are still quite painful, still as effective (the opponent is no less dead), but which takes a bit more time, allowing us in the audience to enjoy the action. Good show.

22. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    I don't even find you funny anymore. Just sad and pathetic like the bozos you attempt to prop up. I wish I had a picture of you holding that ridiculous "In Hauptmann we Trust" sign all by yourself in Section 8 after the editorial came out. That image truly captured the pathetic shell of a club we have become. The lack of a reaction to the editorial by the supporters that night was troubling and devastating. The league was watching. The league was fed up with Andy and his antics. A major statement that night would have had an effect. Nothing. And now we get an off season with two broken down, expensive Seattle cast offs and a few college kids. Let's see your PR campaign on that.

LocoGueroFutobolista and xtomx repped this.
  23. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Why not McBride? Too obvious or what? Lord knows Anangono could use his help, especially if we're becoming San Jose and switching to the "kick it to the big guy" approach.

goldclover and xtomx repped this.
  24. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  25. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002