clint and his future in germany

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by WC2010Champs!, Oct 24, 2004.

1. MarioKempes

MarioKempes Member+

Real Madrid, DC United, anywhere Pulisic plays
    Aug 3, 2000
    Proxima Centauri
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Must...follow...orders...

2. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    Great post scan of that article. It looks like a tabloid mag though. Are tabs the same of there as they are here??? Anyway, I've always like Clint and wish him the best. I really hope he doesn't come back to MLS because he is too good for our league. IMO he deserves to be playing at a higher level and hopefully he goes to England. Atleast there he can speak more freely and adjust easier to his game.

but.....if he comes back to MLS..........PLEASE COME TO THE GALAXY!!!!!!! WE NEED YOU SOOOOO BAD!!!!! WE GOT THIS STRIKER WHO HAS NO LOVE FOR MLS AND WOULD LOVE TO TRADE PLACES WITH YOU....

3. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    You'v never been at my walk to school, have you? There is one light and EVERYBODY crosses it, even if cars are coming... propably having been at the wrong place? And yes, the police stops you if you do that andf they notice, so if you want to see geramsn crossing red lights, don't follow the police ;-)
    And than again, if there is no light we don't have that law as the US (or only Mass.?) has that it's the car driver's fault if he hits a pedestrian. That is only true here at Zebra walks and traffic lights.

4. Deimos

Deimos Member

Apr 23, 1999
    Louisville, KY, USA
    It's generally true in the US that the pedestrian gets the benefit of the doubt, but it's not a law that the pedestrian is always right.

What is a Zebra walk? A crosswalk?

5. SeattleFan

SeattleFan New Member

Mar 4, 2000
    Redmond, WA USA
    Think of the Abbey Road album.

[​IMG]

6. todd11

todd11 Member

Oct 23, 2002
    Berlin, Germany--
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hopefully this banal stereotype was meant in jest. Even then, nazi smack ain't really all that funny.

You'd also see how wrong you were if you ever tried to form an 'orderly' line at the concession stand at halftime at a German stadium, there big guy.

7. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    I have to agree with one of the posters here - Germany is not a great fit for Clints personality. I guess he got along with his last coach, RR, but even though he has a German name, Mathis is a teutonic divide from the German stereotype. I recall Frankie Hedjduk had the same reaction at Bayer (Surfer-Joe I think they used to call him) with his hair and pieced whatever.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Why you limit this to concession stands is beyond me. Have you ever been in a German line that hasn't been cut, divided, reformed, cut, divided and eventually turned into a mad dash. Germans will stand forever at a red light, but they won't wait 10 seconds for a currywurst.
    As for Clint not being a good fit, he'd have been fine if 1. he'd been playing better, and 2. when he chose to insult the coach on national television, the team hadn't gone on a tear that took them from relegation region to euro-zone.

9. Aalborg

Aalborg New Member

May 2, 2002

10. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    The implication in this post, that it's easier to have a good G/90 as a sub, sounds good (I would have bought it) but it turns out it hasn't tended to be true, at least in MLS.

Here's the Points/90 leaders (because that's the stat MLS keeps, and I'm not sure it isn't better on the whole than G/90 in terms of offensive generation, anyway) for the last three years MLSNet kept the data (before they replaced it with the relatively useless goals per appearance standard of "goals per game"):

Code:
    2002 POINTS PER GAME
    	NAME		TEAM(S)	MIN.	G	A	PTS	PTS PER 90 MIN
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1	Taylor Twellman	NE	2418	23	6	52	1.94
    2	Carlos Ruiz	LA	2376	24	1	49	1.86
    3	Jeff Cunningham	CLB	1962	16	5	37	1.70
    4	Mamadou Diallo	MET*	1623	12	5	29	1.61
    5	Edson Buddle	CLB	1304	9	5	23	1.59
    6	Ante Razov	CHI	2120	14	8	36	1.53
    7	Chris Carrieri	COL	1830	11	5	27	1.33
    8	Ariel Graziani	SJ	2289	14	5	33	1.30
    9	Dario Fabbro	KC	1116	6	3	15	1.21
    10	Mark Chung	COL	2401	11	10	32	1.20

2001 POINTS PER GAME
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1	A. P. Chacon	MIA	2055	19	9	47	2.06
    2	Diego Serna	MIA	1978	15	15	45	2.05
    3	Jeff Cunningham	CLB	1770	10	13	33	1.68
    4	A. T. Conteh	DC	1676	14	1	29	1.56
    5	John Spencer	COL	2083	14	7	35	1.51
    6	Luis Hernandez	LA	1189	8	3	19	1.44
    7	J. W. Perez	CLB	2105	8	15	31	1.33
    8	Landon Donovan	SJ	1666	7	10	24	1.30
    9	Ronald Cerritos	SJ	1954	11	6	28	1.29
    10	D. Washington	CLB	1203	7	3	17	1.27

2000 POINTS PER GAME

1	Mamadou Diallo	TB	2405	26	4	56	2.10
    2	Alex Comas	MET	1571	13	6	32	1.83
    3	Ante Razov	CHI	2145	18	6	42	1.76
    4	Diego Serna	MIA	2236	16	10	42	1.69
    5	Miklos Molnar	KC	1353	12	1	25	1.66
    6	Clint Mathis	MET*	2520	16	14	46	1.64
    7	Adolfo Valencia	MET	2295	16	9	41	1.61
    8	Ariel Graziani	DAL	2138	15	3	33	1.39
    9	D. Washington	CLB	2541	15	9	39	1.38
    10	Manuel Lagos	TB	1500	8	7	23	1.38

I could be wrong just eyeballing these numbers, but I'm not seeing more than one or two 'super subs' on this list per year. I don't know why exactly, but it seems the stat actually favors starters. Perhaps because once you prove you can score, you generally can demand more minutes, and perhaps that most bench strikers are just weaker versions of the starters [note: this may be less true in Germany, where teams are deeper than MLS, even relatively speaking, but it's bound to be at least somewhat true just about everywhere].

That said, in Mathis's case in particular, the sample size is too small (and self-selected by his defenders?) to make a conclusion.

As to the cultural stuff, it seems as though there are countries in which you can pull Mathis's kind of crap and get away with it more than in Germany (including here) but that doesn't speak well of those countries.

11. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Wow, I don't even know how to make things bold in the BS text box. How the hell did you put an excel file in with a scrolling screen? Damn, I am in the cyber-darkages.

12. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that transfer figure accurate - €200,000.

Heck West Ham could afford that, and they can't score in a brothel. They can't finish a snickers bar right now - but I don't want to get my hopes up...West Ham will never sign Clint Mathis. Never.

13. Montréal United

Montréal United New Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    How about jumping to France's L1?

(ducks for cover)

Seriously, the level is good, French club are known to nuture talent and help them progress (look at Drogba unknown two years ago).

St-Etienne is always looking for offensive firepower and Clint would fit great in our new scheme (4-3-3).

I know americains in France haven't been great (Vanney - Bastia, Cannon - Lens), but he's much more better than these two.

14. teamitup76

teamitup76 Member

Mar 25, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Vanney starts every match for Bastia and they are a stingy defense. The times he does not play (this past weekend) they get lambasted. Vanney has been successful in France, at least individually.

15. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'd agree. This Mathis is priced to sell. the manager's gone crazy. He's left on vacation and the employees are giving the store away...
    Wonder if there will be any takers?

16. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    The number of takers will dictate if he's a bargain or not at this price.
    Personally I'm suprised they aren't letting him go for free since other clubs know he's persona non grata.

If there are 4+ interested parties, I'll say he was priced too low.
    Course if only 1-2 come in for him, I'll argue he was priced correctly.

17. taylor

taylor Member+

Jun 9, 2000
    Fav team: FC CARL ZEISS JENA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    ok in between the zebra walk and excel file, how the hell did I miss he is priced at 200K??? Is that speculation or citation?

If he is actually at 200K, he should go to Rotterdam or Cologne (do you spell it that way?). There is more felxibility for colourfulness in that area :)

Also, please don't forget all those amazing goals he scored last year. That will tempt a fair number of teams.

The Mathis apologist needs to know!

18. Rommul

Rommul Member

Aug 26, 2003
    NYC
    I believe that is a buyout price not a transfer price.

In other words here is your 200k Clint don't let the door hit you in the .......

He will be available for free when he is bought out.

You are in the biz. Give West Ham a call :)

19. Montréal United

Montréal United New Member

Apr 11, 2001
    Montréal,Qc
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada

Yeah, but he's no superstar. Clint has that potential.

20. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    We're getting to that point in his career where 'potential' is more damnation than praise.

21. rorschach

rorschach New Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Kirkwood Atlanta
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Singapore
    I agree. It seems like their is something in the mental/training level aspect that Clint just doesn't overcome. Now this is just an observation, but it looks like his head is outta the game, maybe off of the field...maybe not, but it is affecting his career. I'd HATE to see a Kirovski story for a good GA. boy.

BTW... a moment of silence please as Rorschach the cat passed on today. A hall of fame kitty.........................whistle...start game...

Thank you.

22. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't those the first 5 clubs that offered Gazza a trial?

23. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Post brilliance? Not sure, but Gazza also got an offer of part ownership, player from an australian league team that I thought was newcastle or something. Also, the epl (it was everton, right) offer which he took and played a bit on, came in the middle of the others, IIRC.

24. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    This just in!

MLS Expansion Draft:

New team Real Salt Lake City has traded for Jason Kreis (leading goalscorer of all time in MLS) and CLINT MATHIS is rumored to be in negotiations with Real Salt (which is allied to Real Madrid) to return to MLS.

Please thank that turkey brained coach and management of Hannover in Germany!!!!!!! :)