clint and his future in germany

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by WC2010Champs!, Oct 24, 2004.

1. ETSC

ETSC Member

Jul 5, 2004
    I'm sure there will be at least 3 or 4 more clubs who look at his potential and think they'll be the ones who turn him around. Plenty of entertainment ahead from Clint.

2. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Given Hannover's form since Mathis went out of the lineup... oh why bother.

And the whole strike rate comparison is flawed on both a mathematical and sporting standard.
    You can't say that a guy plays 30 minutes a game and scores 1 game out of 6 means that if you play him a full 90 minutes a game that he'll score every other game. It just doesnt' work that way because all other variables are not constant - not even close. There is a huge difference between coming in as a reserve late in the game versus playing the entire game.

3. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    They may give him the opportunity, but it's up to Clint to turn his game around. If he decides he wants to take his career seriously, I think he'll do just fine.

4. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    I'm sure he'll find a good new club and will do good for them which would please mebecause I like him like most fans of Hannover 96 do.
    This is a bad situation right now for both Hannover and Clint.
    You can't really blame Leinen as he never really wanted Clint and you can't really blame Clint.
    Hannover knew about his character before offering him an contract but back then Lienen wasn't in charge.
    Also Clint certainly wouldn't have signed a contract if he would have known that Lienen would be coach.

5. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    They really are the Odd Couple. I can't imagine a much worse fit than those two. It's almost comical. Heck, it is comical.

6. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    At least 5: Liaoning, Buckley, Marsaxlokk, DC United and Boston United.

7. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Now i see where the Americans have their spelling mistakes from... ;-)

Anyways, as I said, it is not only about Mathis playing well (Everyone can have a bad day) but about him giving a 120% in practice and living a lifestyle suiting a professional soccer player. If Lienen doesn't think he'll do good he won#t let him play...
    And there are different kind of coaches in germany as Lienen, at mainz Clint would propably play outstanding...

8. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    well he was not doing too well in the USA at the end, so i guess that rules out two countries, eh?

9. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Okay, only getting major props because DC United comes in after liaoning, Buckley and Marsaxlokk, yet before Boston United. :D

10. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Let's assume for the time being that Clint is the best scorer on his team and forget all about the things that Clint had done to Lienen. If Hanover has a better winning record without Clint on the field, would it be disrespectful for Lienen to not play Clint?

11. F96

F96 Member+

Oct 24, 2002
    Skåne
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    A big article about Clint in today's paper that says that Clint will be gone in Munich meaning saturday because him and Lienen doesn't get along at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    His agent Eylert is quoted as saying that 10 of 12 MLS teams would want to take him but that Mathis would like to stay in Europe because of the higher salaries.

Mathis has a transfer fee of 200 000 in his contract but president Kind says nobody would be willing to pay it so he would be okay in letting Mathis walk for free to save his salary.
    On saturday sporting director Kaenzig will meet with Eylert and after that we all of us will know more.

I'll try to translate the whole text tomorrow or maybe some of my fellow Germans with better English skills will.

I'm sad that it didn't work out here in Hannover, he will be a good player for another team and be happy again I hope!
    I don't blame Clint or Lienen, sometimes things just don't work out.

12. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    96Girl, thank you for the information. Anything you can add would be very helpful.

Is the second picture a fight between Idrissou (?) and Mathis, or is he mouthing off at the coach and Idrissou (?) is trying to play peacemaker?

13. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Or Clint and Idrissou are madly in love with each other, and Lienen's jealous?

14. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Don't worry - DC United won't sign Mathis either...

15. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    We'd be waiting a LONG, LONG time to find some sort of support for this statement, but of course that doesn't stop people from making them does it?
    As someone who has done so, there isn't much that could be more true.

16. flanoverseas

flanoverseas New Member

Mar 2, 2002
    Xandria
    I love Germany, but what I do find funny is how you guys, and the Swiss even more so, will not cross the road if the sign says don't walk.

It could be Sunday afternoon at 4 p.m., two lanes on both sides, not a car in sight, and every German will wait for the WALK sign. [​IMG]

17. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Ever been to Vancouver BC? Damn near the same thing...

18. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmm, 10 of 12, huh? I wonder if the 2 teams who wouldn't want him are the 2 teams that already had him ........... doesn't that say anything to someone?? If DC United went after him, I would be PISSED!!

19. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    He needs to play in England. Period. The Coca-Cola Championship, or a lower tier Premiership side. Clints demeanor wouldn't even be noticeable in England, in Germany it is, especially as an American. I'm not saying he didn't make the bed he's lying in, just that England would be a far, far better fit for him.

20. CanuckFan

CanuckFan Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Calgary
    Club:
    FC Energie Cottbus
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Well, that may be so. Stand in a lift line at a ski hill and your opinion might change though.

21. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Having been stopped in Lucerne by a police motorcyclist after crossing the road on red, I can assure you there are consequences to crossing the road without a walk sign!

22. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Ordnung uber alles.

23. sch2383

sch2383 New Member

Feb 14, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    Mathis would be great at that attacking mid position in Nowak's lineup, but we have Gomez and Freddy who can play there.

24. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    Your English is more than fine -- ganz gut.

I 'tought you wuz from Joisey! ;)

25. goalpdl

goalpdl Member

Jun 6, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ah...Mathis and Nowak, I do not think that relationship would ever work. Clint needs therapy.