clint and his future in germany

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by WC2010Champs!, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The coach appears to be overreacting and appears to be vindictive. Excessive punishment will make the coach look like as bad as Clint, or worse. Wasn't it in Germany where the stabber of the tennis player just got a tap on the wrist? So they seem to have a system that believes in light punishments, or at least making the punishment fit the crime.

2. braun

braun Red Card

Feb 22, 2001
    metro Boston
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nah, he should go to Holland, where his speaking only English and his troubled character, will be ignored and forgiven. Spain is a stretch for an American who is non-Spanish speaking. It matters.
    I've said before in other posts that YA's should consider Holland instead of Germany. Even Cherundolo or Berhalter (who was there) would be better off there. It has been a delight to see Beasley go to PSV.

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Have you ever seen a Bundesliga game? Because if you have, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be saying this. I might of thought the same thing until FSW started carrying the Bund, and there really is some wide open attacking play that rewards individual play.

4. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I believe he was speaking of the culture not the product.

5. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    So germany is not good when it comes to culture for Americans? Man, the Americans find germany so boring (if they do) becaue it differs so less of you. Most american immigrants in the 19th century came from germany if you split UK up to England and Ireland.
    What are all the American soldiers and their families doing here? living and I think they do that quite well. And, the german attitudes of Discipline and arrangement came originally from Holland...?

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Clint has several problems, but the main one is this: he is not good enough.I know he scores the occasional brilliant goal, but eventually that was not enough even in MLS. Wanderingpress-you are confusing this Mathis with the Mathis of 2001. This one is not nearly good enough for Spain, not even close.
    How can you possibly blame Lienen? He chooses the team, and no coach can cope with players PUBLICALLY calling their decisions into question.What about the other 10 guys who are not chosen to play on a given day? Should they blow up too? This is not a question of nationality of the coach or the player- it is a question of respect and professionalism.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    Squig- any time a Yank has trouble someone on this board questions the culture of the coach or team. No country has been fairer to Yanks abroad than Germany.

8. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    I don't think you are being fair. Clint scored 5 goals in 1/2 a season. 10 for a full season (the rate) would be considered very good for Clint's position. Production was not really the problem (but everything else)

Lienen had a chance to stand for something after Clint's action. He decided to blow it off, and start Clint that Tuesday. After making that decision, Lienen should not have gone back to 'acting pissed off/irritated' about this. He had his chance, and he chose the 'I could get fired if I lose, so let me keep the guy who could win the next game for me on the field' approach.

Not exactly showing backbone on that one...

9. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    yeah, but he is the coach and he gets judged on only one thing:wins and losses.Remember, even with Rangnick, Clint was his usual erratic self-though he did score a couple of great goals. Clint's play is just wildly up and down, and that is not good enough for a top team, or for the USA team. Though I do agree with one of our German friends: he is probably better at forward than at nidfield, where consistency and work-rate are paramount.

10. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Well, I don't think that Clint wopuld not score goals if he'd be starting now, and I don't think Lienen thinks so. For Lienen it is very important that the players show the good old german (dutch) discipline, and respect the coach, and appereantly there have been more incidents than we know about between Mathis and Lienen (Does anyone remember that Bild-newspaper article being posted here by 96girl?). That's what most ppl here in germany think, and a big part of us agrees that Lienen would be overreacting if it would just be Clin pointing at his wrist and not playing good next game. It's about his way of life (no sodas for players, no beers, no meat or so... that's why Lienen didn't get along with most players when he coached Mönchengladbach) and about him being respectfull to the coach. I am sorry to say so, but if he doe not do what lienen wants him to do about that he won't play...
    And it may be hard, but he wants to be a proffessional, right?
    cu Squig
    (I'd love to see Clint success! I'd love to!!!)

11. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    No meat?

12. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    well, beef or was it steak, no idea, something like that.
    propably Lienen wants his players to eat just chicken and stuff like that...
    meat was the wrong word, sry

13. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
  14. worldfootballgenius

New York Red Bulls
    United States
    Jul 9, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cherundolo is doing great at Hannover, going to holland would be a bad move, he's vice captain if a german first division club. I think that's great.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Bring mir meine Blutwurst....aber schnell.....sonst knallst!

16. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'm not going to defend Leinen (or Clint) they sound like my kids after a bad halloween sugar buzz. (Daddy, Cletus grabbed his nuts!! But Dad, Leinen won't let me have any meat!!!) But one could actually read this as a plus for Leinen, which is - ok, you're Clint, you had your little tantrum. I'll ignore it. You scored, you know how I want you to play, lets see if you can bring that "fire in his belly" or whatever Leinen called it (probably from lack of meat, by the way) to the next game. And Clint didn't so the big L had the evidence he needed to sit him.

Either way it's the battle of the overblown egos. Clint is not good enough to run that act. Leinen, however, is looking more justified at the moment for running a tight ship - though I'm convinced this recent run of form holds. 96 seems decidedly mid-lower table to me. But that's why they play the season.

17. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    The winners write the history, my friend.....Lienen is the winner so far...

18. 96Squig

96Squig Member

Feb 4, 2004
    Hanover
    Club:
    Hannover 96
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I don't think Clint is worse than other players, he just has less discipline, that's his only problem (and he betted on the wrong horse saying that Lienen would be gone... )

19. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    We here about how Mathis showed disrespect fot the coach. The facts are that the coach showed disrespect for Mathis by keeping him on the bench for 80 mins in the game where MAthis scored 2 minutes after going on. THAT was the disrespect and Clint proved it by scoring right away. And I have seen highlight reel goals from Clint for two Bundesliga matches - the guy is a world class player with more international and World Cup experience than most on the team!

20. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    It is not like Clint is the first player in soccer history to score after coming off the bench.By all acounts he started the next match and sucked.

21. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    A goal in 10 mins in one game + 65 mins in another game is a strike rate better than 99% of top players..

22. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    you are picking to your choosing. If you want to choose the minute in which he scored, for that minute,he has the best strike rate in the history of the sport.He has one goal all year, and by the account of several people who are Clint fans, he has not been too impressive.

23. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    You miss the point - take all his time on the field - the strike rate aint that bad for the "minutes" on the pitch. The point I was making - duh- was that one bad game does not mean mutch. Look at Raul who didnt score for 10 months at Real Madrid.

24. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Of course, it is alway incumbant on coaches to show respect to their players by starting all of them and by knowing, in advance, who is going to score when. Damn Lienen. And then he goes and disrespects Mathis again by playing him for 90 minutes in a game where he knew Mathis wasn't going to score. Damn, damn Lienen and his evil, disrespectful ways. Well, he won't have Clint to kick around more!

25. Indiana Jones

Indiana Jones Member

Oct 27, 2004
    Germany is probably to stiff a society for Mathis who is a free spirit. Mathis wont be the first player to look a coach look stupid when he prospers elswhere!