Cleveland Name?

Discussion in 'Cleveland' started by jrdebi00, Dec 5, 2006.

1. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like the Celtics? How about the Indians or Redskins? Steelers only for steelworkers? Saints? Oilers? The list goes on....

2. Big-Time Crew Fan

Apr 8, 2000
    Exactly. Or, the Irish. ;)
    '​

3. bsteel2000

bsteel2000 New Member

May 19, 2011
    Club:
    DC United
    how about:

Forest City FC
    The Cleveland Force
    Cleveland 1796
    Western Reserve FC
    Cleveland Gunners
    Cleveland Browns

4. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Holy Necropost batman!

5. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Does anyone like the sound of "Lake Erie FC"? Simple, yet a little unqiue. Seems to roll off the tongue nicely.

6. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me repeat myself.

7. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looking forward to the next post on this thread in 2022.

eboe and msilverstein47 repped this.
  8. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You expect something news worthy by then ?

9. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like it but I think teams now a days prefer to have their identity firmly associated with the city which I also think is good.

I like Forest City FC that was mentioned in an older post.

I would add the city name and make it Cleveland Forest City or Forest City Cleveland.

10. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Here's another random idea:

Cleveland Wanderers FC, and then the branding nickname of the club could be The Bulldogs or some sort of dog reference.

Traditional soccer nickname that is also unique to the American soccer landscape combined with a tangible identity that this area seems to really gravitate towards. With the Browns being shit I feel the whole dog identity has shown that its a stronger brand that represents the city more so than the crappy football team.

I think this would be a nice balance of semi-creativity and uniqueness in branding while maybe drawing in more average or new fans through the club's parlay of local tradition.

Thoughts?

11. CBusCrew12

CBusCrew12 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Keep it simple: Cleveland SC.

12. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AFC Cleveland won the NPSL championship this past season. I would actuslly like to see someone acquire them and make them pro. Maybe redo the crest.

13. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Yeah I was at the match. I would be all for that but would like to see them rebrand and make some aspects more slick and professional

14. Salacious Bum

Salacious Bum Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Would be a perfect choice, no doubt.

I imagine Forest City Realty Trust might have a thing or two to say about that though.

15. Zips15

Zips15 Member

Aug 11, 2016
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    I like Cleveland Forest FC. Like Nottingham Forest, plus an ode to our nickname and dope park system. Utilize some green in colors (maybe combined w/ black?). Could even make a cool tree logo or something that looked slick.

Tobias C repped this.
  16. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like Cleveland Forest but without the stupid FC . I'm so sick of seeing American soccer teams use FC at the end or beginning of the team's names.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  17. hipityhop

hipityhop Member

New Mexico United
    United States
    Jan 10, 1999
    Mission TX
    Club:
    SønderjyskE
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sick of talk about promotion and relegation.

WPSL repped this.
  18. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough. Fans of the sport in general would probably criticize that it's a cheap rip off of Nottingham Forest but anyone from Cleveland and Northeast Ohio in general (the people who will actually be supporting the team) will understand the identity and it's significance.

19. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't see it being an issue. There's several businesses with Forest City in their name. I can think of Forest City Brewery and Forest City Shuffleboard Arena/Bar off the top of my head.

20. Salacious Bum

Salacious Bum Member

Jun 5, 2010
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I admit that was outdated, even at the time of my post. Especially considering how much Forest City Realty has shifted their focus and dumped their local holdings. Probably wouldn’t be an issue.

Fingers crossed.

21. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cleveland is a pretty inclusive place. These faux Brit names that have no identity to the city will not work just like the supporter groups i have seen at City Stars and AFC games chanting in fake accents. Its not a shock there were not more people. It felt like WWE where there was soccer being played but everything else was fake.

"eh mate lets go watch the lads play football on the pitch then go have a pint in the pub."

Besides all this Brit rip off non sense it sounds like the Abrams brothers who own the Force fitness facilities all over Cleveland are the ones behind a USL team and would name it the Cleveland Force which would be better than this garbage Real AC FC Sporting Cleveland United Forest or whatever rip off you want.

22. Tobias C

Tobias C Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Mar 6, 2014
    Toledo, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Zips15 repped this.
  23. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well noooooo shhhhhhh*t! Or maybe I was referring to everyone else with their comments regarding the name? Just a thought and I still truly believe based on what I’ve just read people would want to all a Cleveland team called Cleveland Forest just to rip off Nottingham but hey what do I know. Can’t wait until a team finally comes back to my hometown and people start going “come on lads”. It really helped last time.

24. WPSL

WPSL Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Club:
    Cleveland
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope it's not called the Force. I grow up watching the Force and Crunch. I am a big indoor fan. After a long history of being a indoor team it doesn't feel right for a outdoor team to be called the Force. I agree to stay away from the stupid nicknames like Real, FC, AC and Sporting. Cleveland longest running outdoor team were called the Cobras.

Bring back the FORCE but a indoor team not a outdoor team.

25. C-Bus20

C-Bus20 Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Everywhere
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That is a fair take. I would love to see the force or crunch come back in an indoor team although i am not sure how strong that newer league is.

Personally for an outdoor team i liked Cleveland City Stars. I feel like it was not too euro rip off but the "city" part was just enough for some fans to sing "come on city" in the stands in fake accents....unless they were all from England.

I may end up back in Cleveland soon and id love to see pro soccer take off like it did in Cinci but in an authentic way and not be something they are not which is faux Euro.